Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

service ?

Margaret

The motor servicing industry would have us believe that every car needs to be serviced at least annually ....even if it hasn't been used. They have this thing which they refer to as a "full service history" which they use to their advantage when buying second hand vehicles. Vehicles without a full service history attract lower prices at the dealers and yet somehow, it is almost impossible to find a second hand car at any sales outlet, official dealership or not, without a full service history. Hmm!

A dealership would probably tell you that your car is overdue a service by 6 months. One of the reasons cited for this is that the oils would have turned acidic due to combustion byproduct contamination and will be eating away at the surfaces inside the engine. However, the reality is somewhat different.Degradation of the oil is dependent  not only on the time which the oil has been inside the engine but also how the engine has been used. Lots of fast warm ups and short journeys in cold weather will lead to higher levels of oil contamination. A few long runs with gentle warm ups and at a gentle pace leads to low contamination despite the distance travelled. Some manufacturers are building algorithms into their engine control software in order to monitor the way in which the engine is being used so that an accurate assessment of oil condition may be derived. Lexus might be doing this on some models but it doesnt appear to be the case with their CT200 model ....yet.

• Like 1

Thanks Wass,i will take a car to service soon.Anyone know this car ( Lexus ct 200h year 2011 ) need to pay congestion charge when  drive in centre London ? 

My dealer said, if you are doing 10000/year then it is annual, if you are doing less than 10000, probably eveyr 18 months. If you are doing >10000 then it is every 8 month. I don't know, as Wass explained, I need to maintain full service history.

3 hours ago, Wass said:

Some manufacturers are building algorithms into their engine control software in order to monitor the way in which the engine is being used so that an accurate assessment of oil condition may be derived. Lexus might be doing this on some models but it doesnt appear to be the case with their CT200 model ....yet

Mercedes have been doing this since before 2005 and very effective it is to, do high miles with lots of long runs and one can extend the service interval easily by 50%. Just pootle around town and you'll be 12 months max, irrespective of mileage.

All done on measuring the conductance of the oil. As contamination increases so does the conductance. Couple this with the number of starts over time and average engine loading, creates the variable service interval.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamalaya said:

My dealer said, if you are doing 10000/year then it is annual, if you are doing less than 10000, probably eveyr 18 months. If you are doing >10000 then it is every 8 month. I don't know, as Wass explained, I need to maintain full service history.

I think you may have got yourself slightly confused there.

Its based on mileage or time i.e 1 year/10k miles whichever comes first

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

I think you may have got yourself slightly confused there.

Its based on mileage or time i.e 1 year/10k miles whichever comes first

Seriously, this is how they calculated my next 3 services. 1 minor, 1 major, 1 minor . based on my 15000 annual mileage, it is every 8 months for this car. Currently on 74K mileage.

15000 miles a year is 10000 miles in 8 months. So as rayaans says 1yr or 10k miles whichever comes first. It's every 8 months for a car that does 15k/yr, not 8 months for your model/yr car. If you don't manage the 10k miles in the 8 months the service will be due as soon as you do, irrespective of the number of months or in 12 months, whatever the mileage.

• Like 1

Thanks Wass,i will take a car to service soon.Anyone know this car ( Lexus ct 200h year 2011 ) need to pay congestion charge when  drive in centre London ? 

No you don't pay congestion charge. I always go to London and have never been charged.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk