Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Evening Gentlemen, and Ladies, have noticed a few comments about underbody corrosion on RX models, notably RX450h items like fuel filler pipes. Would using Hammerite paint be a solution? They say it can be painted directly on to rust? Just an idle thought.

My personal view about Hammerite is not very positive, never had much luck with it, yes you can paint it over rust but then you can paint lots of things over rust, the biq question is how well does it contain it? in my experience not very well. There are better and more long lasting solutions to rust.

My preferred technique is to mechanically remove as much rust as possible then  wash with water containing a salt neutraliser. Then paint / spray a conversion coat, the kind that goes blue/black when it's dried, finish with a coat of epoxy primer they are not so difficult to work with as you might think, it sticks like the proverbial even to poorly prepared areas and once cured is hard and totally air and water proof.

More complicated than going down to Halfrauds and buying Hammerite of the shelf but a much better  job and you won't have to do it again in a year or so.

Your initial outlay in material will be more expensive but the materials do not markedly deteriorate with time and the next time you find a bit of rust you will have everything to hand.:-) 

For anybody working on cars dealing with rust cure / protection I would strongly suggest a visit to www.rust.co.uk their online site and printed catalogue is informative and they can supply all the products I have referenced. I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer.

Fe-123 from the same company may also be worth considering if mechanical cleaning is difficult due to access.

Tonyd

• Like 2

I agree, use a rust converter first at the very least.

I'm trying Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 on my rear disks at the moment. I ran out of time to do anymore, so it's been left open to the elements. It seems to be holding up okay and should work even better once painted.

Pals rate it and I intend to apply it underneath my GS when I get a chance. Then over paint with something long lasting.

http://www.bilthamber.com/hydrate-80