Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slight off centre steering wheel

The steering wheel on the IS200t feels off centre to the right, very marginal I'd say a notch or two but enough to bug me since owning the car.

I've been in touch with the dealer to take it back for them to have a look, as the car drives straight doesn't pull to the left or right. The last thing I'd want is for them to mess with the alignment on a brand new car and make things worst.

Ive been reading a lot for the past few days on similar issue on Lexus vehicle, some models have the VGRS steering where you can adjust the steering angle on the tech stream to re calibrate the steering if the alignment is correct, but I can't seem to find any info wether the 200t F Sport have it fitted. 

If only this is a simple software issue then it'd be great, as I don't really want them to start messing with the cars geometry settings trying to fix the issue.

Anyone have any advice on this?

I believe the Variable Ratio steering is not available in the UK. It only seems to be available over the pond

As for the steering wheel, mine is ever so slightly off centre to the left but not enough to really care about.

I wonder if it is somewhat normal although I believe a few owners had steering rack issues which were sorted but they affected early models.

Usual reason for an off centre steering wheel is front alignment is off, or has been adjusted one-sided. Simply dropping off a curb or hitting a pothole can knock the alignment out enough to register at the 'wheel.

Get the tracking checked?

• Like 1

I'd also recommend getting the tracking checked as it can easily knocked out.

Poor alignment could result in excess tyre wear, added load/wear on the suspension bushes, increased fuel consumption, etc.

If its going straight with no hands on the wheel, its not an alignment problem. 

Mine is dead straight, yet the steering wheel is one notch to the left.

OP's car is less than 2 months old, an alignment isn't knocked off that easy - my RX has never had an alignment in 5 years yet when its inspected its within tolerances

I noticed this as soon as I hit the motorway after collection, thought I'd do a few more miles just to confirm. 

Might be possible someone hit a pot hole or similar during transportation to knock the setting out, not surprised as the car would have been moved about in docks, vesses etc.

Will be taking it back on Tuesday for them to chceck over, just doesn't like the feeling of adjusting the suspension settings on the brand new car, not sure if it'll be okay for me to watch while they work on the car?

9 minutes ago, rayaans said:

If its going straight with no hands on the wheel, its not an alignment problem. 

Mine is dead straight, yet the steering wheel is one notch to the left.

OP's car is less than 2 months old, an alignment isn't knocked off that easy - my RX has never had an alignment in 5 years yet when its inspected its within tolerances

That's what I thought if the car is going straight and doesn't pull to the side then why mess with the setting, will get them to put it on the alignment machine to check before doing any adjustments, car is only 2 weeks old btw.

also Rayaans

Does the foot brake on your IS takes a lot of travel before really holds the car, as where I park at work there is a slight incline so I tend to use the foot brake to ease the stress in the gearbox when in P mode.

It takes around 5-6 clicks before it really 'bites', where as the ISF only takes 3 click.

Yes, get them to check first but it is possible for the alignment to be correctly set but with the steering centre biased to one side. Only takes a small extra turn on one side's trackrod end to register at the steering wheel.

Been there, done that ...

1 hour ago, AlanS said:

That's what I thought if the car is going straight and doesn't pull to the side then why mess with the setting, will get them to put it on the alignment machine to check before doing any adjustments, car is only 2 weeks old btw.

also Rayaans

Does the foot brake on your IS takes a lot of travel before really holds the car, as where I park at work there is a slight incline so I tend to use the foot brake to ease the stress in the gearbox when in P mode.

It takes around 5-6 clicks before it really 'bites', where as the ISF only takes 3 click.

Yep mines about 5-6 clicks on both RX and IS

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links