Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I've been asked by a friend to find a home for a 1993 LS400 (Colour Gold) which has only done 65,000 miles has been lovingly looked after, in immaculate condition BUT has not been started in five years.

The lady who owned it averaged about 1,000 miles per year until she stopped driving 5 years ago. Since then it has been in storage in a dry garage so the outside is dusty but inside it's a beautiful car.

This will be a great opportunity for someone who wants to own a great car. So anyone out there interested?

IMG_20170503_134322.jpg

I'm not sure. At this stage, I'm just seeing whether there's any interest from anyone who wants to take it as it is. Otherwise, I'll get it sorted and sell it as a working car. I don't know Lexus cars but reckon it should be worth £2,500 to £3,000 once serviced and washed so I guess we'd be looking for less than £1,000 as it is.

A nice Car for someone.  A new Battery and possibly the dreaded Power Steering leak to deal with initially. I stored an MR2 for six years and although it started with fresh petrol, the brakes needed some expense so hopefully the handrake has been left "off" .  I did within a short space of time decide my bum couldn't take the firmer low ride any more so advertised and sold it as a car without fault, only to discover that the head gasket had gone when the purchaser arrived.

Not saying leaving a car for so long was the cause but did make me wonder as all fluids were left in the Engine.

3 hours ago, lockeyboy said:

Would my wife notice a third...

Mine would for sure, I'm getting grief with just 2, 3 would probably result in summary execution!

• Like 2

Registration number: L525DPK

• Vehicle make LEXUS
  • Vehicle model LS400
  • Date first used 14 December 1993
  • Fuel type Petrol
  • Colour Gold

MOT history of this vehicle

• Test date 5 September 2011
  • Expiry date 4 September 2012
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 65,145 miles
  • MOT test number 9277 9814 1204
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    Front number plate starting to seperate
    Oil leak from engine
  • Test date 13 July 2010
  • Expiry date 23 July 2011
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 64,443 miles
  • MOT test number 5605 0459 0198
  • Test date 13 July 2010
  • Test Result Fail
  • Odometer reading 64,443 miles
  • MOT test number 3217 6459 0195
  • Reason(s) for failure
    Nearside Headlamp aim too high (1.8)
    Offside Headlamp aim too high (1.8)
    Nearside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1)
    Front number plate starting to seperate.
    Slight dampness to power steering rack area.
    Cuts in both front tyre outer walls.
    Offside front tyre on limit on outer edge.
    Offside rear tyre on legal limit.
    Slight play in nearside rear wheel bearing.
  • Test date 13 July 2009
  • Expiry date 23 July 2010
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 63,551 miles
  • MOT test number 4642 0409 9169
    Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Nearside Rear Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)
  • Test date 21 July 2008
  • Expiry date 23 July 2009
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 62,584 miles
  • MOT test number 3744 8300 8410
  • Test date 17 July 2007
  • Expiry date 23 July 2008
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 61,370 miles
  • MOT test number 2109 9869 7137
  • Test date 24 July 2006
  • Expiry date 23 July 2007
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 60,230 miles
  • MOT test number 6712 7520 6295
  • Like 1

What a rare find, let's hope it goes to a good home and gets brought back to its former glory.  It's the same year as my first LS which was fantastic for the five years I owned it.

• Like 1

no indication if the cambelt has ever been changed !  and that's @£500 with all the bits ! and is mileage and time due if not yet been done.

You might want to factor that into your equation ( as will everyone else I think )

Malc

5 minutes ago, Malc said:

no indication if the cambelt has ever been changed !  and that's @£500 with all the bits ! and is mileage and time due if not yet been done.

You might want to factor that into your equation ( as will everyone else I think )

Malc

Yes I agree with you Malc, also due to it being parked up for so long brakes might and or calipers might be seized up too, so that may cost around £200 to £300

It's going to be a great project for the new lucky owner.

These motors are still a bit of a hidden secret and getting a deserving price for a sorted one still looks tricky.

Demand remains eclectic. We'll loose more to repair costs and light accident damage.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Peter_L said:

This will be a great opportunity for someone who wants to own a great car. So anyone out there interested?

Peter, I think everyone on this site would be interested BUT we know far too much about these cars to take it on " blind "

I have no doubt that once fettled this will prove to be a worthy classic at some ( near ? ) future time.

It shouldn't be scrapped, neither would anyone take it on blind with the probable re-commissioning costs likely to be incurred ........  we've already reached £1000 with the cambelt and brakes sorting out .....  and there's the usual power steering leak and if that's caught soon enough the alternator should be ok............  not covered in pas fluid and kaput !

Then the resale value now, when fully fettled, might just about reach the re-commissioning costs.

A terrible dilemma for you, and for us, coz no one here wants to see it languishing

Good luck with it all

Malc

I notice on the last MOT it said there was an oil leak from the engine, that might be somethig very serious, certainly in money layout for a non-mechi, said as  layman

Thanks everyone for your comments. I know nothing about Lexus cars so it sounds like it's not something I want to take on myself. So is there anyone out there who wants to make me any kind of offer? It's in Woking, Surrey, if anyone wants to view it.

If the fuel tank had not been left full of fuel I believe there is a danger of condensation and corrosion in the void space above the petrol. Tanks on light air craft are best left topped off for this reason.

Petrol over 2 years old will need to be drained and replaced.

Perhaps the tyres are flat spotted but if now say 7 years old should be renewed anyway. 

Before turning the key on that engine I would want some expert advice especially about internal corrosion and lubrication after the oil has had so long to drain down to the sump.

I don't think we would know what to offer if we were interested in the car as it will need a lot of work to get it going again. I don't think we would want to offend the person who owns it, well I wouldn't like to offend the owner with a low low offer, just being honest. Body wide I could get cleaned up, mechanically it will cost over a grand I'd say to get it going again, aswell as the mentioned potential faults, the y section of the exhaust could be blowing too

36 minutes ago, Peter_L said:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I know nothing about Lexus cars so it sounds like it's not something I want to take on myself. So is there anyone out there who wants to make me any kind of offer? It's in Woking, Surrey, if anyone wants to view it.

If I were looking for one, which I am not, this is not a car I would be interested in, what you might not realize is that many parts for LS400 cars of that year can only be got from lexus as genuine lexus parts & the prices for that year are horrendous, depending on part. If I were on the lookout for an LS400 I would have few qualms about taking on a LS 400, 1995 and younger, with a good service record and 250k on the clock, 250k is nothing to them.

This one, no I would not go and look at it because it would need some Lexus mechi knowledgable person (plenty here) to even say what 'probably' needs doing as a necessity, hope that opinion is some use to you.

• Like 1

Dennis I think that's a bit too negative.  Parts are available imported from America at a reasonable cost and sometimes below cost.  I doubt the Y pipe is an issue or it would have been menioned in the MOT.  Mine weas fixed for £200 with replacement Y pipe. Cambelt essential change and once again although I paid £600 just for parts from Lexus (all parts plus Water pump) look on Am. e bay and you can find the set for much less and you get a gasket.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-90-94-4-0-Lexus-LS400-SC400-Timing-Belt-Kit-Water-Pump-/360321698203?hash=item53e4d8c99b:m:mj-PSGeoPhoJGT9Prr3PQig&vxp=mtr

The power steering leak and alternator and starter motor are the concerns and yes the Tyres will need replacing, most probably.  Its all do-able and you may have a very nice classic Car which will give years of pleasure and comfort to a new owner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendonc said:

I notice on the last MOT it said there was an oil leak from the engine, that might be somethig very serious, certainly in money layout for a non-mechi, said as  layman

Probably the usual cam cover gaskets problem leaking oil down the sides of the engine.

2 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Probably the usual cam cover gaskets problem leaking oil down the sides of the engine.

MOT inspections never seem to differentiate between oil and PSFluid. They can't see the source so always say "oil". How common is an oil leak on one of these cars I've only seen one thread where it wasn't determined, if I remember.  But maybe there are others?

Another thing to bear in mind is that this car will need transporting to its new owner on a flatbed which also costs quite a lot of money at around £1.50 a mile.

Some of you will remember the 1994 Celsior I bought as a non runner which was finally scrapped due to lack of time and loss of interest, I paid £200.00 for that then another £60.00 to have it moved from Glossop to Alfreton.

I sold the newly refurbished wheels and a few other bits before giving it away to another member for the engine who arranged another flatbed.

You need the expertise, a decent tool set,the space to keep it and certainly the time,patience and money to get it back on the road. I have now got to the point where my under car activities are coming to an end...I can get under there but struggle to get back up again plus I'm past scrubbing my hands to get them clean again.

• Like 2