Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aircon clean - where is the inlet vents?

Hi all,

My aircon has this stale smell when the aircon stops after 10 secs, I normally use a aircon car bomb type to clean this and it helps.

I bought a different type to try out called Normfest Viro One Shot, online it says this needs to be pointed at the inlet air vent on the passenger side footwell. I had a look and can see 1 white vent which is the outlet, where is the inlet so i can direct the gas into it?

There is a white circle on the left of it, not sure if thats the inlet as its covered with something, i was expecting an actual hole.

Interested in this one, I was going to buy the same sort of can a few days ago (quick whiff of stale urine for a few seconds lol).

You could put it on recirc and ramp the fan speed up, then wave a piece of tissue at the vents to see which one is sucking.

I tried what you suggested but the white vent under the glovebox is defo a blower.

I couldn't find the actual inlet vent however i think its behind the glovebox as i can feel some air being drawn through the plastic, i went ahead and pointed the spray in that direction and laid some cover to stop it drenching the floor.

After 10mins the recirculation air smelt of the bottle which is not powerful, just a hint of air freshener smell, how well this will be the smell after aircon is used I'll see in the next few days when i drive. Change the air cabin filter afterwards so lets see if this makes an improvement.

On 5/21/2017 at 11:33 AM, PCM said:

...or, run the A/C on recirculate for 10 minutes with the heat to MAX?

The spray didnt seem to resolve the issue because i can still smell it but not a bad.

I did the hot air afterwards but no been out so will see how it goes.

I think it will just get caught up in the filter if you spray into the outside. Aircon smells emanate from deposits on the evaporator - the radiator-type component where the air gets cooled. It gets condensation on it when you switch off the engine (or actually the heater fan and air flow) and that wetness encourages the growth of mould.

Cleaner sprays work by getting deposited on the evaporator and killing the mould spores. They need to take the shortest route from intake to evaporator - the airflow doesn't go through the filter on recirculate. - on some cars you can spray into the trunking between blower and evaporator but that's a bit complicated on the IS. The spray may take some time to work.

I would give it a week or so then if you can still smell an unpleasant odour give it another go with a fresh can - maybe a different brand.

It's a porous filter that will absorb the spray. The drawing in of the outside air will  therefore release the mist from the filter into the system.

If you deem the filter to be an obstacle, take it out. ;)

I've used this method on all my cars.