Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MOT FAIL ( bugger ) and annual service

Well, a bit of a surprise here today :wallbash:

Just failed at 193k miles with the Nearside Rear Upper Suspension Arm excessive play ......  it was all ok last year and not an Advisory

This is an expensive part as ONLY available from Lexus, there is no availability of a pattern part ..............  I guess coz they never get replaced.

I think about £275 incl VAT and I presume not much labour cost to fixing it.

The other side is all OK  ( thankfully )

I'll keep you posted if there's anything untoward on the regular servicing

Get the car back end of the week / the weekend. The part delivery is 2/3 days

Cest le Vie

Malc

• Like 2

I  had both control arms replaced in 2013, I dont know if thats the same thing or not, only one was wonky or whatever it was but I was told its better to get both done, They were £417 inc VAT

I had one front N/S UCA  done 2 years and 20k miles ago, a pattern part at @£250. The Lexus part OEM then was @£500 EACH had I had them both done. The other sides are ok seemingly

Malc

You can purchase the bushes for around £40.00 a pair but not the ball joint which like the front uppers is fixed.

The cost from Amayama is £96.00 plus shipping from Japan but then subject to UK import charges.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-UPPER-ARM-BUSH-FOR-LEXUS-LS400-UCF20-1994-2000-TOYOTA-CENTURY-CELSIOR-/122497599567?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus|Model%3ALS&hash=item1c856d084f:g:WXMAAOSwv0tVIU9h

• Like 1

Thank you for that Steve  ......... but the part purchase from Lexus is non-returnable, non cancellable he tells me :wallbash:

I'll let my indy know for the other side when it needs doing :zorro:

Had it been an Advisory last time we could have been prepared for it all  .....  not sure I want to be without the car for the time it would take from Japan etc .  maybe to save @£100 or so...........  Cest le Vie

Malc

10 hours ago, steve2006 said:

You can purchase the bushes for around £40.00 a pair

Is it a mechi who fits the bushes? I know the problem when mine went was the bushes but Lexus saind they did no do bushes so had to buy the whole damn lot, Im lost on bushes anyway...........

A bit surprised, just wish it had been an Advisory last year !

The n/s too with the front  UCA  2 years ago was a bit of a surprise, no prior year Advisory  .......  guess these parts just " go " when the mileage / time is right 

the offside on both these parts seems ok still  :wink3:

200k miles on this car is GREAT, I'm sure not complaining. Just know any other car, whatever it might be, would have cost me oodles more £££££ in repair and maintenance than my Ls400  ........  he's had a good look underneath for rust and as expected it's " all clear "

We are lucky with these Ls400s you know :yahoo::wub:

Malc

A little feedback ..........  the bushes are ok, ..............  it's the ball joint that's  " failed "

Malc

update,............ok, passed the MOT and no Advisories for the future.

BUT going back end of the year for front pads and discs

The nsr wishbone unit was £235.88  .............  but a bugger with the nuts  ....  I suppose 22 years and 193k miles has taken its toll

oh, and he did a 3ltr gearbox oil drain and refill in the annual service

Malc

8 minutes ago, dendonc said:

Is there any reason why aftermarket ball joints were not used???

the link is to 'blueprint' ball joints but there are lots of others, I think I have seen blueprint products recomended on here, see link, serious question by the way!

https://tinyurl.com/ycoqf9er

I would certainly trust Blueprint parts but anything else I wouldn't, there's been some horror stories with cheap ball joints.  Blueprint though do have a good reputation.

ns rear UCA / wishbone / ball joint is not available as a pattern part...

unlike the front ns UCA which he replaced with a pattern part two years and 20k miles ago and still performing well. and I see at similar cost to this ....... BUT if Lexus supply,  was going to be about @£500 (  per side.)

My indy thoroughly investigated all options before having to settle on Lexus supply .....  he knows how to save me money where he can and with best quality ( hopes ) pattern parts.

I'm happy I have had a brilliant job done by my very trusted mechanic.

Now for another 22 years and 200k miles :yahoo:

Malc

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I would certainly trust Blueprint parts but anything else I wouldn't, there's been some horror stories with cheap ball joints.  Blueprint though do have a good reputation.

Thanks for that explanation, although, I did notice the retailer has some poor feedback for various things along with huge amounts of good, at least if you use a debit card the bank gets it back straight away.

18 minutes ago, Malc said:

BUT if Lexus supply,  was going to be about @£500 (  per side.)

My indy thoroughly investigated all options before having to settle on Lexus supply

Wow, it does tend make me wonder at what point to change cars instead, got MOT 2 weeks ago, but.........next year:wheelchair:

.............these Ls400s cost very little in annual maintenance, £5/600 ( my total bill this time around £610.73 ) is tiny compared to even a normal service on a Jag, Bentley, BMW, Merc and Audi

I usually pay maybe £200 or less pa for full servicing incl the MOT.  AND the new replacement parts might well last another 150/200 k miles ......  should see me out :yahoo:

I suppose one could go get bits from a breakers yard if the thought of buying new Ls400 parts was an issue.

Malc

32 minutes ago, Malc said:

I suppose one could go get bits from a breakers yard if the thought of buying new Ls400 parts was an issue.

Highly (very) unlikely, LS 400 parts were allways rare in them & as far as London is concerned there are very, very few car breakers compared to 10+ years ago, many breakers here in recent years just sell the metal, it might be related to the amount of electronics in cars of recent years.

update....  the car drives exactly as before, brilliantly smoothly etc ......  that darned expensive balljoint eh !  makes zero difference perceptively to the drive etc

Malc

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links