Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mods questions

Really interesting stuff, it seems what @Peter P18 is saying backs me up, you cant achieve decent gains on a N/A engine without spending a few quid, look forward to see what the dyno runs look like Peter.

6 hours ago, Mark G said:

Really interesting stuff, it seems what @Peter P18 is saying backs me up, you cant achieve decent gains on a N/A engine without spending a few quid, look forward to see what the dyno runs look like Peter.

Nothing new in that, it's been the case since time in memorial 😏

🐀

• Like 1

Agreed.

If ultimate tunability/high horsepower is your goal, you should be looking at a GTR or something force induced.

N/A tuning sees relatively minimal gains, but can reward you more with better acceleration, more pull in the mid/high end range. I've noticed my mid/high end pulls are a lot stronger since adding the PPE headers, RR-Racing tuned intake and RR-Racing remap. It just wants to keep going, and the higher rev limiter is easily reached from 3rd through to 8th gear in manual mode.

The supercharger kit from RR-Racing would be the only other logical performance step left for me to take. Thing is that's a lot of money for something that I would probably never be able to recoup should I decide to go a different route in the future.

Be interesting to see how mine does on a dyno with the latest revisions though. Tried getting a dyno session booked for tomorrow, but the place SRD used last time can't do it, and the dyno is broken at Eurospec where we went a while ago! :wallbash:

Still, hopefully get it on the rollers again soon. :cool:

• Like 2

On 5/23/2017 at 2:26 PM, robbyg said:

Thanks Mark......I will book car in,  in a few months time and report back!

I would suggest to do dyno before and after, otherwise you will never know if it made any difference. I personally believe £300 for 5% of power is not worth it, additionally it is very important to find out where that power is gained i.e. they might gain 25hp at 6500rpm, but lose 50hp in 2500rpm, which would actually make car not only slower, but worse in terms of how it feels on the road. If they get 25hp across entire hp curve ... then yes... brilliant. 

I would double that exhaust is more worthy investment, easier to do and un-do. Probably gives the same effect to the driver as more power - yet doesn't require to brake the law to take advantage off it.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree Linas.P and Peter P18 however, with the map already done I can only dyno 'post-map'. This will be done when my Borla exhaust and high flow cats arrive from RR Racing :cool:

The throttle response is noticeably sharper, especially at low revs which is one of the reasons I opted to spend a few hundred quid on the map. ROI - each to their own I guess.

• Like 1

a 25 bhp gain will not be night and day in terms of performance compared to stock figures to improve the acceleration of your car you can reduce the wheel size from 19's and run 18". these will spin wheels faster than 19's and change your final drive gear ratio to an aggressive one. thing is IS-F has 8 gears so will for sure benefit from such a mod since this will increase acceleration in each and every gear you are in and not specific ones sure top speed will suffer but how many times do you get your car to 170mph??  this guy explains it better. Honda owners mainly do this to compensate for the lack of torque at lower rpm without modding engine/exhaust.

You can modify final drive ratio as well, obviously more complex and expensive change, but doesn't impact visual looks. Another thing regarding 25hp - again it important where it is added.

In terms of throttle response - it is not necessary increase in the power, actual throttle sensitivity can be adjusted independently. Again without doing dyno before hand you would never know if that is throttle response or increase in power. 

To be honest for such claims and price I would expect before and after dyno figures to be included as a proof of them making the difference (same as you get before and after emissions results when using engine cleaning service). Equally, that is kind of protection - not every car makes claimed power at the wheels, so they might add 25hp and have unhappy customer because car was actually doing less power before hand.

Agreed. That's why I support and buy my stuff from Rafi and Simon at RR-Racing. 

Everything they sell is fully tested and tried on their own demonstrator before it is offered to the public. 

Take the RCF throttle body. Theory was it could make some good gains on the ISF. Rafi and his team bought one, made it fit, mapped it, and dyno'd it. No dice! Gains were next to nothing, so it was scrapped. RR-Racing ate the costs, and we saved money not buying a mod that was a dud.

Rafi and his team are only looking to improve our cars. Take the supercharger kit. They were being pressured to sell it from the moment they announced it was being developed. Rather than churn them out then and there, they waited until it was complete, dyno'd it a bunch, used it on the road, and track tested it extensively. It's done 10-15k miles now or something like that. 

Anyone can offer mods, but I personally want as much assurance as possible it won't stress or damage my car. :smile:

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links