Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starting / idle

floggit

As the temperatures rising and im not using the a/c ventilation i find i can start my journey to work each day and travel a fair way on Battery before the engine kicks in cold. As at this point im doing 20mph+ is this causing the engine any strain? . I was always told to start a car and let the engine idle a few seconds before pulling away to let the oil reach all parts of the engine. 

And a picture just because ..... 

IMG_0149.JPG

55 minutes ago, floggit said:

As at this point im doing 20mph+ is this causing the engine any strain?

I've been doing this since getting the car last October, all through the winter and sub-zero temps. I'm hoping as Lexus designers have allowed the car to do it, it must be OK? sCh_christianpray2.gif

Often wondered this myself. I've got a feeling the system probably turns the engine a bit before ignition to build up the oil pressure before it is put under stress. They must be doing something as there are a lot of mini can Prius out there with huge mileages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ISJason said:

Hi, what's all that on your car, soap suds or water?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snowfoam prewash fed through a powerwasher, the theory is as the foam falls from the car  on a 10-15 mintue soak it drags a lot of dirt off the paint. Meaning less contaminants to mark the paint when washing with a mitt. Lots of info on detailing world site. Car cleanings quite involved when you get into it lol

5 hours ago, colin79666 said:

Often wondered this myself. I've got a feeling the system probably turns the engine a bit before ignition to build up the oil pressure before it is put under stress. They must be doing something as there are a lot of mini can Prius out there with huge mileages. 

Thats a good point! Just makes me wonder as the engine kicks in each day lol

6 hours ago, colin79666 said:

I've got a feeling the system probably turns the engine a bit before ignition to build up the oil pressure

A rolling start feels less aggressive than starting when stationary. As you say maybe the engine spins briefly before IGN on, they must do something as just driving along the ICE cuts in and out quite frequently.

• Like 1