Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well my alternator died today and I think the pump is the culprit. 

Anyone have experience of working on these pumps or rebuilding them? 

New ones are expensive and hard to come by here. It's a 1998 mk4

7 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

Well my alternator died today and I think the pump is the culprit. 

Anyone have experience of working on these pumps or rebuilding them? 

New ones are expensive and hard to come by here. It's a 1998 mk4

On the early one is was often simply a case of replacing an o ring, but as I say, I'm not sure about the later one.  Someone will be able to give you more info soon I'm sure.

I rebuilt one but it was on my Mark 1 the Mark 4 is different in the reservoir attachment but is still the same with regards to the pump parts ,the rebuild kit is available but not from Lexus.

Got the pump off with no dramas so very pleased. It's covered in oil and dirt. I've had a quote from a place to rebuild it for £115 so I'm sending it off this afternoon. Hopefully I can have her back on the road by next week. Although complex I didn't encounter and stuck bolts or rusted bits. A testament to the quality of the car and it's parts. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

Got the pump off with no dramas so very pleased. It's covered in oil and dirt. I've had a quote from a place to rebuild it for £115 so I'm sending it off this afternoon. Hopefully I can have her back on the road by next week. Although complex I didn't encounter and stuck bolts or rusted bits. A testament to the quality of the car and it's parts. 

So is the pump the culprit re the whine?

I think the whine was the alternator as it died but the pump was leaking and the alternator covered in oil so I'm having it rebuilt anyway. Mostly as a precaution as its a known issue and I've got it all in bits anyway. She's also getting a full service and new drive belt and pulleys whilst I'm at it. Total cost £400. I intend to keep her on the road for a long time so it's worth it to me. I just hope this is it for a while!

• Like 2

I believe its possible to make a shield for the Alternator to stop a P/S pump from leaking onto  it?   Must take a look as I do have a very slow leak and its not just the "o" ring below the canister which I've changed.

Too lazy to do a complete rebuild of the pump so happy just to top up, but......that alternator I don't want going down.