Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Conversion

Monster-Mat

ive been pondering the idea of a conversion on the race car for raw power, been looking at Rover v8 engines, i can pick a sd1 engine up with 5 speed manual gearbox for around £500

now i know someone will suggest the Toyota engines, but to be honest i cannot find any.....and there all auto's

the V8 rover engien can produce somne real HP.......with very littlke tweeking, and the parts are fairly cheap....

over to all the piston heaDS OUT THERE............

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A rover V8 is a stonking engine(but i dont need to tell you that).I had a SD1 manual years ago and i loved it to bits,a solid engine.....go for it Mat

And you cant beat the sound either,it'll sound like the IS430....WICKED

WE'VE BEEN TOYING WITH THIS ONE FOR A WHILE AMONGST OTHER ENGINES!!!

if i can pick up an engine with full loom thats will be ace, as i would go with the Fuel injection..

otherwise i intend to run it with carbs...possibly a Holley to keep the thing simple

that info would be a great help Matt :winky:

I'm not sure I agree with that. The Rover engine was OK back in the 1960's but things have moved on a bit since then ;)

The air flow potential of the cylinder heads are so bad that about 10 years ago we made some new cylinder head castings (at enormous expense :o ) in attempt to get some some decent power of out of them. We had a chance of selling them to TVR before they started using their own engine.

This engine is quite light though, and parts are plentiful and cheap :D . We did a few conversions swapping the 2.0 litre Ford engine for the Rover V8 into Capri's a few years back because the Rover is lighter and more powerful. It may even be lighter than the standard is2 engine.

There is a book by David Hardcastle about tuning this engine if you can't be disuaded.

Whatever you decide won't be a walk in the park :o Good Luck Mate :D

I'm your man on ye old V8........

go for a old p5 engine as they are hi compression swap heads with a SD1

4 barrell Holley

stage 1 cam

uprated oil pump

easy 200 bhp

or look up real steel

they do 4.6 conversions............

so more stuff get an auto............land rover 2.25 flywheel can chage it to a manual........bell houseing for 5 speed box £90 from rimmer bros.......the any 5 speeder from sd1 range bolts on.........

I've done all of the above :whistling: (not 4.6 tho !)

well i have a 5.0 litre TVR in my workshop at the moment, so i am going to use this time to take critical measurements

i have just contacted someone regards a SD1 for £500.

id prefer to get a car or unit with full loom, this will make instalation a dam sight easier, i dont forsee any major fitment problems so far for the engine, other than the exhaust manifolds.

as for gearbox bell housing, well if it means cutting and re-fabricating the prop tunnel and bulkhead, then so be it........

There is a company that takes the 3.5 Rover V8 and bores it out, and tunes it up to some rediclous amount...

I saw it on a Top Gear type program, and it did sound luuurvely...

If I had the cash, I'd love to drop in the 5.0 Rover V8 from a TVR Griffith into an IS :D

I thought that chrysler sold rover the v8 engines. Have you thought about the small block LS1 engine at all, dunno if that would fit though. The americans version of small and rest of the worlds version of small does differ some what.

Just for a laugh though download the callaway parts list, they have a heavily modded LT1 (twin turbo) which is know as the supernatural for sale at round $13k.

A pic on the engine can be found here

http://www.callawaycars.com/Corvette/supernatural_engine.htm

Parts pdf (2.4meg)

http://www.callawaycars.com/From_home/dlcat.htm

i have already contacted the company you mention Ian........

i want a car that can produce around 200bhp but has lots of Torque......

id like to build a drift car....

the v8 weighs 170kilo

the gearbox(5 speed manual) is a Borg warner t4 as used by ford

i think ive sourced the engine, thing is im having a problem locating a gearbox to fit.

:lol::lol:

I'm surprised thats not for the monster.

So did this company reckon you could fit the V8 into the IS then? Certainly would make a nice drift car..

Best one is the twin plenum from the Vitesse SD1..........

What about the HOnda v6's from the 8 series ?

Think £500 is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much for a normal sd1 motor.

WAnt me to ask around ?

thats for a complete car..........

yes please do ask around Dave, all help is fully appreciated

I happened across this, thought it may be of interest.

About 1/2 way down the page:

For sale.

Rover 4.6 V8 block with heads and internals, good condition £550

Damaged x-bolted block (4.0L) dropped liner, built in 1997 £200 cw 4.0 crank. (ideal base for 5.2+ TH liners)

4.6 crank and piston set as new - £250

4.0 crank, big bearing £100

Alastair (west midlands)

07719 496495 after 6pm

a bit further down

FOR SALE

Rover V8 Vitesse heads and all brand new real steel parts to rebuild to stage 2 spec £200

Range Rover factory stainless headers (4.6 HSE). Rear exit with2 ¼" outlets £200

Adaptor plate Rover V8 to TH350 Chevy and TCI 3000 stall converter also Rover V8 to TH350 Chevy (ex pulse rate Cavalier)£300

Phone 01335 372119 or 07973 740076 anytime

Dunno if they will fit, or be of any use.. but thought i would share...

I'm not sure I agree with that. The Rover engine was OK back in the 1960's but things have moved on a bit since then ;)

The air flow potential of the cylinder heads are so bad that about 10 years ago we made some new cylinder head castings (at enormous expense :o ) in attempt to get some some decent power of out of them. We had a chance of selling them to TVR before they started using their own engine.

This engine is quite light though, and parts are plentiful and cheap :D . We did a few conversions swapping the 2.0 litre Ford engine for the Rover V8 into Capri's a few years back because the Rover is lighter and more powerful. It may even be lighter than the standard is2 engine.

There is a book by David Hardcastle about tuning this engine if you can't be disuaded.

Whatever you decide won't be a walk in the park :o Good Luck Mate :D

what alternatives do you suggest mark.

obviosly for a trackday/Drift car,

weight is a factor, plus power delivery and Torque.

id have thought with a V8 it can be sat further back over the front wheels, and has heaps of Torque, and power delivery is smooth as silk

using Carbs will negate the need for all the complex electronics that the is2 is now using.....and which in reality is killing the potential power.

i had considerd, ditching the factory electronics and junking the inlet system and try and fabricate a triple pair of throttle bodys, disable the VVTI and run a stand alone ecu to work the throttle bodys and ignition......

debate....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links