Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will My Extended Warranty be Valid if i service my car at halfords?

Shd995

Hi members, 

I would like to ask that on my ct i have an extended warranty which i purchased. I was told that my warranty would remain valid if i serviced with lexus on time. I was under the assumption that i had to complete my service with them in order for my warranty to remajn valid.

However i have checked the Halfords website and they claim that their servicing will not invalidate kexus warranty except for certain cases? What does this mean. I would prefer to servixe with Halfords as they are more local to me as well as much cheaper.  

Anyone been in this situation in regards to warranty??

From my reading of the terms you must get it done at a Lexus service centre. Halfords are right but that is for the original warranty due to EU rules. They can impose different terms for an extended warranty. 

Wouldn't trust my CT to budget garages , might do ok but a dealer is a better point of contact though i suppose that depends on your dealer , you must have it serviced at lexus for warranty to be valid , also you can discounted servicing if using dealer for 3 services even pay by direct debit much better than Halfords

3 hours ago, gokhan said:

Wouldn't trust my CT to budget garages , might do ok but a dealer is a better point of contact though i suppose that depends on your dealer , you must have it serviced at lexus for warranty to be valid , also you can discounted servicing if using dealer for 3 services even pay by direct debit much better than halfords

Thanks for all the input. Looks like im going with lexus then. Didnt realise Halfords were that bad.

Gokhan Could you give me details on what this service option is please? I have a 2013 ct200h premier 97k on the clock. Ita an ex company car hence the high mileage.

21 hours ago, gokhan said:

If you ask for a 3 service package deal you get a little bit off at dealer plus free mot & breakdown I believe 

i paid £680 for 2 minor and 1 major I think

Okay so i haave been quoted £1589 for a 4 service plan. I already bave mot . I have accounted how much it will cost me to do the services independently and it would cost me £220 less. 

When you say independent do you mean by a third party or if you paid for 4 Lexus services as separate transactions?

Also check to see if your preferred dealer offers LOC gold membership discounts as even after paying your subscription for a year you could save much more on dealer servicing discounts, pretty sure Edgeware Road and Battersea are in the system.

On 2017-5-26 at 4:19 PM, Shd995 said:

Okay so i haave been quoted £1589 for a 4 service plan. I already bave mot . I have accounted how much it will cost me to do the services independently and it would cost me £220 less. 

Eh?

They won't charge you more for the service plan lol. Itll be the same price as paying independently. 

• Like 1

On 2017-5-26 at 4:50 PM, steve2006 said:

When you say independent do you mean by a third party or if you paid for 4 Lexus services as separate transactions?

Also check to see if your preferred dealer offers LOC gold membership discounts as even after paying your subscription for a year you could save much more on dealer servicing discounts, pretty sure Edgeware Road and Battersea are in the system.

Seperate services by lexus excluding mot is what i calculated. Only £20 cheaper when accounting the MOT. 

Okay the LOC gold membership. I have asked them when i arrived for my MOT yesterday and they asked me to show my card. I had just signed up for gold so my card did not arrive yet. They confirned they accept the LOC card over the phone aswell. However when i told them my card hadnt arrived yet, but i did show them my gold account on my phone. The guy spoke to his supervisor and they devided they do not accept and discounts of that kind? 

So why did the lexus advisor ask me for my card in the first place? And over the phone they confirmed it would work... it even shows as a participating dealer on the LOC website. So now i feel like i paid gold membership for no reason.

Unfortunately, you have to have it done at "Approved service centre" and one reason I have not renewed my extended warranty.

Major service is ~£465 with intermediate ~£295 ( I say appropriately as I haggled parts i didn't want changing plus 10% discount ). I will now have it done locally for £200 and have hybrid check done for £60 at Lexus.

Warranty in itself is decent value, but if you factor in servicing costs - it becomes extortionate.

• Like 1

Hope not renewing your extended warranty doesn't come back to bite you Adam.  I've had two IS250s in recent years and had claims greater than the warranty cost in both cases.  Only had my RX for 3 months, but first thing I did was to put extended warranty on.

Not all independents will be familiar with the complexities of the Lexus hybrid system.  Oil and filter and check brakes is all well and good, but despite their reliability, Lexus cars do develop faults.  One claim I had was for c£650 for a misted up headlamp assembly, no servicing is going to prevent this.

I view the servicing costs as an expensive route to vehicle care by trained personnel, but with attached peace of mind.  The warranty premium (£500 pa for my RX) I view as an insurance policy.  I don't wish to claim on it (just like my home insurance against burglary), but I'm mighty please it's there if there's a problem.  Maybe you consider the risk element to be lower on your CT model ?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Shd995 said:

Seperate services by lexus excluding mot is what i calculated. Only £20 cheaper when accounting the MOT. 

Okay the LOC gold membership. I have asked them when i arrived for my MOT yesterday and they asked me to show my card. I had just signed up for gold so my card did not arrive yet. They confirned they accept the LOC card over the phone aswell. However when i told them my card hadnt arrived yet, but i did show them my gold account on my phone. The guy spoke to his supervisor and they devided they do not accept and discounts of that kind? 

So why did the lexus advisor ask me for my card in the first place? And over the phone they confirmed it would work... it even shows as a participating dealer on the LOC website. So now i feel like i paid gold membership for no reason.

I will make some enquiries and find out the reasons why the dealer is not accepting the gold membership.

Could you confirm which dealership you are using please?

The way it is rigged with all manufacturers is that having bought a vehicle from a dealer, you continue to pay for it throughout your ownership until you exchange it for another vehicle whereupon you pay for it again into the deal. Owning modern vehicles is unfortunately loose lose lose for the punter. There's a good argument for running a classic! Cheaper to buy, more thirsty, less reliable  but worth more when you sell them than when you bought them.

On 2017-5-28 at 10:49 AM, steve2006 said:

I will make some enquiries and find out the reasons why the dealer is not accepting the gold membership.

Could you confirm which dealership you are using please?

Edgware lexus(colindale)

Geeza don`t service car in Halfords, just get service plan from Lexus and split it to monthly instalments. After that drive and sleep well. Lexus is way complicated car to give it to halford blokes to service. My car is still on warranty and when it will expire I will get extended one from lexus and even if I had to change light bulb I will go to lexus. I think budget services are ok for average cars without warranties.

• Like 1

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:39 PM, Finzky said:

Geeza don`t service car in Halfords, just get service plan from Lexus and split it to monthly instalments. After that drive and sleep well. Lexus is way complicated car to give it to halford blokes to service. My car is still on warranty and when it will expire I will get extended one from lexus and even if I had to change light bulb I will go to lexus. I think budget services are ok for average cars without warranties.

I agree, and this is exactly what I did after I learned a hard lesson (for being cheap) with my IS220d. never again. I bought service and extended warranty by instalments from Lexus.

1 hour ago, Jamalaya said:

I agree, and this is exactly what I did after I learned a hard lesson (for being cheap) with my IS220d. never again. I bought service and extended warranty by instalments from Lexus.

Thanks guys gonna wait till my next service and go for that service plan

why risk your warranty for the sake of £100 or so

unfortunately when you have a nice car you find servicing is more expensive.

if you want to service a car at Halfords buy a corsa..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2017 at 5:28 PM, Shd995 said:

Thanks guys gonna wait till my next service and go for that service plan

You dont need to wait until next service, you can apply for service plan now and start pay, when time will come you can enjoy your free service. But don`t forget that not all cookies will be included in service plan...but its worth it anyway!