Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So have had my GS450H for a few month, I'm enjoying it very much and can really hustle it round some undulating back roads.  I have one frustration that is the manual shift up and down.  I would like to have the gearbox shift to a higher gear by pulling back and push forward to change down.  To me this seems like it should be really simple, anyone done this via hardware or software 

Ok bit of googling and can see people have done this for IS the guide is -->here<--

Now Toms for a cable adapter for the IS and the GS.  Looking at the part numbers they are exactly the same so should be same mod for the GS as the IS..

http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/e/comp/lexus/gs50/e_i/84702-ts001.html

http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/e/comp/lexus/is45/e_i/84702-ts001.html

Has anyone done this mod on a GS.  I see a lot of people saying Lexus are fake gearshift, ones thing for certain shifting down does add engine/motor  braking so its useful.

The "manual" mode is useful to get the effect of engine braking in a non-hybrid. Long downhill stretches can be controlled with the stick rather than using the brake pedal. If "manual" mode has a use other than this, I haven't found it. Others will correct me if I am wrong or have described it badly.

John

I used to have a bumper sticker on my '69 Chevelle which read "I'd rather eat worms than drive an automatic" Then I was forced to buy one ('76 Vette) because I couldn't find the right car, with 4 speed. I had intended to convert it but having drove it for a while, I kept the auto and I've never had a stick shift since. 

Check this topic for gearbox info -> 

In general I'm not sure I follow you. Do you want to change direction in which you are changing breaking force ? If so probably swapping few cables should be enough.

Are you really finds that feature so useful ? Especially in Cambridgeshire where you don't have too many mountains roads :)

As the car is brand new I would give it a moment before taking dashboard apart. Maybe you will quickly find out that you don't really use it so much. In 2 years of ownership I used it once - during test drive to check if it works. There is no effect on the acceleration, it is just like pressing the brake pedal but through the gear stick. 

Jason

Your bio has 450h 2018. Is this a misprint for 2008? If not then my experience is only with 2007 model so my comments may be completely wrong.

John

Although I've only had my car a short time I've not yet felt the need to use manual gears, I just put it in D and let it do its thing!!!

I find it useful sometimes putting it in d2 or d3 when driving in traffic that's travelling at 20-30mph. I find I don't need to keep braking as just lifting off the accelerator slows me down enough.

Well, when using the paddles to limit the gear range down hill the power meter doesn't go into the regen range. I've found using the brakes is much better, totally against what one would do in a 'normal' car! Being a hybrid means one isn't actually using the pads and discs, not until the speed really drops anyway.