Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My first Lexus, LS430

rz1c13

Hi, finally got it. Was hunting for a good one for more than 6 months, and here it is. 2004, 153k miles, Full Lexus only history, 2 previous owners, and pristine MOT.

So far i LOVE IT. It is such a different quality of driving and travelling. The V8 is fantastic.

The rest time will tell.

Regards

Rob

Welcome to the LOC Rob. Like yours, mine has only main dealer history, and two previous owners.  It's good to get one with that kind of past, it gives you more confidence.  You'll be smitten now though, nothing else will do!

As said, we look forward to some photos.  And if you ever find yourself in West Sussex give me a shout, it'll be interesting to compare the facelift model to mine.

• Like 1

well done, it's brilliant having another member on here.

Hope you manage to look at some of the " warning " posts on here either before you bought or now.  

Might save you some money and grief for the future, especially the possible need for a new radiator to prevent some disastrous gearbox problems.... that could be the imminent and comparatively inexpensive improvement to make to your car if the service history doesn't show it being done.

Best wishes with it all, these are great cars

Malc

• Like 1

Definitely will post pictures. I'm assuming it's best to upload it to the members gallery, but if there is a better place let me know.

Malc, can you point me to posts about that radiator / gearbox issue? Or if you don't mind to spare some time, please explain what these two have in common in this car. I'm stunned like a deer in the headlights to hear that I may need a new radiator to save my g-box... ?

Thanks everyone, talk soon!

OK, Malc, reading into the interesting subject of the auto transmission and coolant problems, sounds bad enough. I'll have it thoroughly checked.

the simplest preventative measure is seemingly just to replace the radiator about every ten years maybe.:wink3:

Best wishes with it all

Malc

• Like 1

Hi Robert and welcome to the LOC,

Regarding the radiator problem another solution some other members have adopted is to disconnect the integrated transmission cooler, plug the outlets and then fit an aftermarket transmission cooler below the original radiator.

If you wish you can attach photographs to your posts but if you can restrict the file sizes it save us valuable server space.

Congratulations on finding a good example, your patience will I'm sure pay dividends.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rz1c13 said:

OK, Malc, reading into the interesting subject of the auto transmission and coolant problems, sounds bad enough. I'll have it thoroughly checked.

I wouldn't concern yourself too much over the gearbox problem, it's not that common.  I did change the radiator on my first one just in case, and it was clearly on the way out in regards of corrosion at the transmission fluid union.  I also changed the radiator in my current one as a precaution, but it didn't look bad at all.  I would get it done in due course just for the peace of mind, but I wouldn't loose sleep over it! 

• Like 2

Thanks! I'll have a good look into the service history, and get the car on a ramp to check what the transmission fluid looks like. The radiator itself doesn't show any corrosion on the outside, the  coolant fluid is also nice and pink (prob. just changed) and no gunk/rust under the rad. cap. I don't know if the trans fluid was changed, so better to change that as a preventive measure, and the diff too. Tomorrow I'll call the Lexus dealer where the car was serviced for probably past 6 or more years, and try to pull out more history info.

All I found out so far is that the wheels need rebalancing, and the cigarette lighter socket by the shift stick doesn't work, but the one inside the centre console and the rear one work. I read somewhere that there is probably a switch somewhere to switch between the near shift stick socket or the other two - is that true? Can't I have all 3 sockets working?

Tried to upload into the members gallery, but got an error message saying that the upload failed for some unknown to me reason. So here we go, a few first shots. Sorry I don't have a good hand/eye for taking exciting pictures, but I can assure the car is beautiful :) especially the body and interior condition considering its age. The tyre pressure warning disappeared after topping up the spare wheel. The rear number plate needs a bit of an attention, but I'm not too obsessed about it yet. More important things are in the queue, like checking the transmission, diff oils, give the underside a thorough wash and a fresh anti-corrosion coating. As well I might give it a go and change the radiator.

Bought the car in Lancashire, had to drive over 550 miles round trip to test drive it, but so far I must say it was worth it. Found on autotrader, if anyone interested I can share the sellers' details. These guys are spectacular, very down to earth, transparent, non pushy and upfront. All their (around 50 so far) autotrader reviews are 5star, their sales culture is something I have never experienced from any second hand car dealer I met before, and they sell brand new cars too. Just before I bought mine they had sold a beautiful second hand SC430.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1

Very pleased for you Robert..That must be the most outstanding "Ford that never was" in Essex.

It seems to be a superb vehicle and your comments re the Dealer are nice to receive. Which Dealer was it please?

Do not forget that any significant problems which occur are the Dealers responsibility to fix (at his cost) if they occur within 6 months of purchase.

Enjoy many miles of Starship Motoring.

Regards

John

• Like 1

looks a really nice car, especially approaching 14 years old maybe !

She should last you for ever if you wanted :wink3: ......  looks a good buy  ...  might you tell us how much ££££ ?

Malc

• Like 1

Dealer's website

https://www.rvcarsales.co.uk/

Was priced 5k, but bargained to 4.75. Within last two years she just got all round genuine disks&pads, new AC compressor and pipes, and wheel bearings&hubs... All done by Lexus main dealer service - a ton of money, but it seems the previous owner couldn't care less about the expenses.

• Like 1

Time to get down to business. I have a few misc semi-technical questions to start with, and not 100% sure if this is the right place. Nevertheless:

1. Can you tell me where to get the best deal on the genuine Toyota auto-transmission fluid for my LS430?

2. Is there a possibility to manually dip the headlights beam depending on the load, or is it all automatic? Also I travel to  mainland Europe quite often, and hate the feeling I might be blinding other drivers when driving on the "wrong" side of the road with asymmetric UK headlights setting. Is there an easy way or a way at all to "swap" between the European and UK asymmetric headlamp settings? I know that in some BMWs, under the bonnet every headlamp had an easy mechanical switch to do that.

3. The radiator.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus,2004,ls430,4.3l+v8,1426092,cooling+system,radiator,2172

I think DENSO would be a reasonable choice, but am confused by the multitude of options, and what is the   w/ w/o "tow package" option? and the w/o tow package is more expensive. What is going on here? Which radiator should I get to not sacrifice quality/lifetime, but also not blow up my wallet.

Unfortunately there is no best deal option on the OEM Toyota type IV transmission fluid, the U.K. dealer price was around £60.00 for 5 litres when I last purchased some.

If you have an upcoming trip to the USA and a generous luggage allowance the same stuff there costs around 25% of the UK price!

The fluid is not made by Toyota and comes under several other branded names including Mobil, the same fluid is used in certain Volvo models using the Aisin transmission units.

Regarding the headlight beam adjustment, sorry no idea on that one perhaps a call to your local dealer or there may be a reference in the owner's handbook.

I would imagine that cars fitted with a towbar would have a larger transmission cooler hence the price difference but if you are not planning to tow in the future the standard fitment will suffice, the transmission fluid temperature on the Aisins is monitored by the ECU to prevent damage, you will find that top gear will not engage until the fluid has reached its normal working temperature.

Be aware that you are looking at a USA website so if ordering you will need to take into account shipping and import duty on the base price, if you are looking for an OEM unit they are around £400 from Lexus but cheaper options are available.

• Like 1

That's very helpful Steve. I'll have a look into Mobil or others, just need to find out the recommended viscosity and working temp. range of the oil for this g-box.

Actually I am planning to fit a solid towbar, so the upgraded radiator is a good idea, thanks for that.

I'll looked into the duties / tax in the uk. If I got it correctly, as of today the duties are due if purchase (including shipping costs) is worth more than £135, and you pay VAT if goods declared are valued more than £15 or gifts more than £39

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Regards

Rob

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links