Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Comparison - 2014 FSport to 2017 FSport

After a couple of months and 3k miles, moving from a 2014 F-Sport (AVS, Leather,Nav) to a 2017 F-Sport(Premier Pack) here is my views.

First Impressions - car looks classier than before and even more distinctive (I know it is subjective), interior is more refined than before too, but completely agree the key is step backwards and I pointed it out to the salesman, who hadn't noticed.  I did try and unpick my old keyfob and try to change the innards over, but I couldn't do it without destroying it. This is a cost saving measure I reckon, pure and simple and the worse for it.

Exterior - On the f-sport, the grille surround is smoked chrome and I like the effect, but why did they not do it on the rest of the car? On my specific car, the graphite black really pops the metallic flake when clean :wub:, which isn't for long :sad:.

Interior - the Premier Pack is by far my favourite feature. The seats are slightly softer I think, but still as comfortable.  The extra toys, the big Nav screen and the proper (pressed? who knows!) textured aluminium trim really makes the car and has had many favourable comments from passengers.  The new mouse controller with extra buttons is OK, the back button the best feature, the side Enter buttons I don't really use. It has introduced an annoying buzzing/rattle though and I need to get them to fix it, it is the whole mouse unit/wrist rest area, if I press on it it stops.

Tech - still no peers on what you get as standard against the german cars.  The new Nav system is much better, the screen layout so flexible now (you can even have 3 sections of Nav maps simultaneously if you so desire!) but bits look not quite finished again, some screens are stretched to fill the 10" display, others not. And they have jiggled some features around, such as SMS msgs are now buried in the info section , not in phone?!? But generally all good.  The ML stereo has taken a bit of tweaking, but the level of controlled and deep bass is a revelation and it does sound good across the range. It does need volume though to really sound great and I've taken to turning off the Surround function as it seems to introduce weird harmonics on the centre speakers at certain frequencies and volumes. It could do with a more featured equalizer and speaker tweak system though. As £1000 upgrade on the Premium Nav system from Pioneer, it is a hard sell.  The sign recognition is hit and miss, easy to confuse and seems to be overruled with what the Nav thinks is the speed too. The auto cruise is similar, good as a toy, but unless the road is fairly quiet, it is too easy to confuse and begins to annoy.

Driving - ride and comfort is subtly better (still AVS), it rides potholes and cats-eyes with less thump, but parallel ridges and expansions joints still cause a crash. Road noise is a little less. The drivetrain is better at modulating the Battery and EV modes now too, it is keener to hold onto EV than before and to move into it in town than my old car.  Can't say I noticed any difference in the driving modes though or throttle response.  I do like the Custom mode feature that allows me to choose which throttle setting and suspension setting combination I can have. Steering is virtually the same too, thought it doesn't wander as much on the motorway and is easier to keep straight without correction.

Overall for me - better in most areas that count and pretty easy to get the Premier Pack added for virtually no added cost to a std F-Sport, so a no brainer why you wouldn't.

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

• Like 5

My Steering is more responsive, the brakes more progressive & the ride a touch smoother now I have reduced the pressures  to 36 psig.

Use the Radar Controlled Cruise all the time for the Tidal Flow Average Speed Sections of Motorways & have received numerous favourable comments about the Graphite/Red combo when it is clean !

Tel

Must check my tyre pressures, haven't since I collected it!

Ave speed roadworks is the only place I'd agree the radar cruise works well, I've taken to turning back to normal mode in quiet to moderately busy motorway now.

Yes brakes also seem better modulated too, less noticeable difference between regen and braking.