Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400/430 steering wheel motors

The-Acre

This may have been mentioned before and I've missed it.  I've always wondered if these motors can be rebuilt, now I see someone on eBay doing just that.  So I'm wondering what's involved, and if it can be done with some basic info.

• 1 month later...
On 27/05/2017 at 8:31 PM, The-Acre said:

This may have been mentioned before and I've missed it.  I've always wondered if these motors can be rebuilt, now I see someone on eBay doing just that.  So I'm wondering what's involved, and if it can be done with some basic info.

If they are brush type motors it is most likely the brushes are stuck or worn down. This is normally an easy fix using brushes from vacuum cleaner, strimmer or lawn mower motors, and the like. It may be you will have to size the brushes with a file, and use the original steering motor springs.

John.

• Like 1

I think I remember reading here somewhere that this was mentioned recently and Steve 2006 was maybe having a look at it.

Prior advice was that it wasn't possible to recondition them but hey, live in hope eh !  :unsure:

Malc

2 hours ago, Newbie1 said:

Adapting it to manual height/reach would be great, but nigh on impossible, I suppose.

I think it would be impossible, the motors would still be needed.  The thing is, if something is manufactured, it must be possible to take it apart again.  I've just taken an old suspension compressor apart, purely out of interest, it's really a very basic thing, just a little piston attached to a motor.  I know the rest of the setup is more complicated, but the actual motor is basic.  If anyone has an old steering motor I'd love to have a go at taking it apart.

• 2 months later...

I posted details and pictures of problems with the tilt motor a while back.

Bought a replacement from eBay (refurbished) circa £100 - they didn't want the old one back either.

Having taken the old motor out their is nothing DIY about repairing it, but it clearly can come apart with the right tools and no doubt there will be bushes stuck or worn that can be changed.

Adjusting the title height to a fixed position is actually straight forward and there are posts about this already. That what I did prior to replacing the up/down tilt motor. I'm not so sure about the In/Out motor which looks a little more awkward to get at, but certainly DIY doable. 

Pretty sure looking at the size and design these are brushless motors maybe synchronous types similar to the ones used on microwave oven turntables but more complex as they have an ECU to drive them.

If some one has a faulty scrap one to donate I would be glad to see if they can be reverse engineered and repaired.

Sorry Steve, 

I was just about to type that I threw it away (tilt motor) only recently having sorted out my garage, but I've just managed to pull it out from the garage bin (don't worry it only contained my car refuse).

Send me a private note of your postal address and I'll try and get it to you (no promises).

Damo

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links