Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've had the LS460 15 months now, so thought id share some of my favourite photos from the past year. It's the SE-L model and includes the only optional extra of the heated steering wheel which is lovely to have on the cooler days. Ill not get too much into the pro's and cons of the ls460 v's the older models (I still have a mk3 LS400 that I use everyday), But the LS460 is no way near as bulletproof. Its been back in the dealership quite a bit and each journey you never set off in full confidence that everything will be ok like the LS400. If I gave the LS460 the continuous 'abuse' that the LS400 gets then I think the 460 would end up being a big paperweight whereas the 400 can take everything in its stride and then some. However it does feel way more special, it gets the looks, it handles great, it has the pace, it has all the toys and no matter how much of a headache it had been I love it!

anyway, the photos....

14960662991362_zps9bcde0ub.jpg14960662826211_zpsekvbwp0n.jpg14960662477970_zpslnpcplq1.jpg14960663318103_zpsaelyvqmw.jpg14960665258684_zpstlwjqmwm.jpg14960665259785_zpsbpjzx3ag.jpg14960665260766_zpsxs56lp4l.jpg14960665350847_zpshk3d4hfp.jpg14960665351548_zps5wea1m33.jpg

• Like 7

thank you for sharing the photos, she looks a lovely car 

BUT what on earth have been the running issues with the Ls460 ............... that the Mk3 ensures you keep her too in the stable and in use every day :winkiss:

Malc

Suspension airbags, brake actuator, window regulators, power steering rack. All done under warranty, but it was a hassle getting the work done, and getting them to acknowledge there were issues was a nightmare, even with me telling them what parts needed replacing and proofing they were eligible to be replaced under warranty. Im fortunate that im a mechanic myself so know what im on about, I feel that a regular guy in the same position wouldnt have stoood a chance.

I use the ls400 every single day, I use the ls460 a couple of times a month... the ls400 is on LPG which justifies that even more.

• Like 2

my Mk3 Ls400 :wub:

I had been thinking about buying a 2nd hand Ls460 or Ls600 BUT I wouldn't want the hassle of the known and likely issues.  ... at my age and time of life I think I want simple " security " of knowing there aren't going to be any unmanageable or unwanted bills ahead

We all know of the limited problems with the Mk3:wink3:

Malc

I remember someone on here went to an LS460 some years ago, he wished he never got rid of the 400 but his only gripe with the LS460 was the comfort, not that it wasn't comforatble he said it just not feel as comfortable as the LS400, which he wanted back, he really did regret getting rid of it for a 460, no idea if mechi probs started to occure after that.Yours is the first post about them I have seen since his post, maybe someone with a better experience can comment, if not maybe some more feedback on the LS430, aint seen much of that either. Thanks for the feeback & shots

Seems a pity toyota brought the accountants back after the 400's.

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

One often hears about "garage queens" being that much less reliable. A car needs to be exercised and serviced regularly

thats not the case here, most of the problems came after doing around 4k in 2 months, including a trip to germany. It has full LSH also, its just suffered from the "common" ls460 issues due to reduced quality over the initial LS models

• Like 1

brake actuator is basically a servo, its common for them to click when broke and its REALLY annoying on such a quiet car. Lexus said it was normal and took me out in another customers car with 90k miles to try and convince me it was normal.. however his car didnt click, and even had it clicked, it is still abnormal behavouior.. in the end i got my actuator changed and no more annoying clicking.

full LSH, is full lexus service history..

cheers

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dale_V said:

thats not the case here, most of the problems came after doing around 4k in 2 months, including a trip to germany. It has full LSH also, its just suffered from the "common" ls460 issues due to reduced quality over the initial LS models

What year is the car? How many miles has the car done?

2007, its on about 97,000.

dendonc - yeah it does, it steers you back into the center of the road if you veer over the line. Also if you activate the radar cruise it'll lock onto the car infront/monitor the road and steer you around bends (if they are slight)

• Like 1

OK, do you drive in cities/towns much? I was wondering if it would be of use or a potential nuisance in London, I can see a benefits in no so busy places though, is it an On/Off option?

Ah yes, you have to enable it each time you start the car, so as a default it is turned off. Even with it turned on it wouldnt really get the chance to enable itself in city trafic as it takes time to lock onto the white lines and also as soon as you brake it turns off also

Radar cruise can also be turned off and conventional cruise control can be enabled. I saw an old post on here saying the ls460 only could be used with radar cruise and it was irritating. But with a forward push of the cruise stalk, it turns off radar and enables normal mode :)

OK thanks, I was talking to a merc s class appx 5 years ago, he was an executive hire, but,his merc had a non optional version & he did not like it at all for london driving, other cars coming over the white lines, heavy goods have part of their bodies over them, he said it would be good if it was optional, to me it sounds common sense to have it as an option

I suppose there is drving a car & fighting your way through london with one

I agree, being non optional would be silly... 

It can be extremely useful, but it can be annoying also ( narrow lanes on the motorway in roadworks!!!)

Thanks very much Dale, your account enforces my fears of more modern LS models, particularly out of warranty.

I imagine those would have been hefty bills, even allowing for your labour being free.

Have to say though, your car looks beautiful, inside and out, they're a tempting beast.

Genuine Lexus warranty.. When I bought the car (private) it was eligible for a Lexus warranty as it had just been serviced (by Lexus), it was under 10 years old and under 140000 miles. The cost for one year was £1495

that's an eye watering first year warranty cover price :w00t:  BUT you needed it quite clearly.

I'd never thought to have spent that amount on my Ls400 in any year on repairs, no matter what the issues  .....  the Ls460 is certainly not a car ( nor most newer cars i guess ) for the faint - hearted or those with mini repair budgets, or expecting mini repair costs ( like me and what I'm used to with the Mk3 )

Maybe I'll just never move on to a later Ls eh !  stick me in my timewarp and I'll be ok :yahoo:

Malc

Well I put 1495 in but pulled around £15000 back, so definitely worth it and now, touch wood, all the common failure points of the 460 have been covered.

The LS400 requires minimal money per year, I think last year it had the Cam belt done and that was it. I might throw a few hundred at it this year on the paintwork though as the roof is peeling it's lacquer.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dale_V said:

Well I put 1495 in but pulled around £15000 back, so definitely worth it and now, touch wood, all the common failure points of the 460 have been covered.

The LS400 requires minimal money per year, I think last year it had the Cam belt done and that was it. I might throw a few hundred at it this year on the paintwork though as the roof is peeling it's lacquer.

Ouch, I expected the cost to be high, but £15k is silly money, even for Lexus.

Makes that warranty even better value.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links