Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As per the title, my Lexus goes through bulbs like wildfire! I'm replacing them every 6months or so and have no idea why. Need to replace another 2 on the drivers side again and i'm sure the passenger side won't be far behind. I leave the lights on the 'auto' setting so they're likely to come on a tad sooner than I would bother, but that can't reduce their life that much surely!?!

Has anyone else had this issue? Any solutions too?

FYI - it's the side lights and headlights that seem to blow again and again. The main beam, from what I can remember, have been fine.

Luke

Some bulbs came with the car, which suggests the issue has been around before my reign. I bought additional replacements for my local indie motor factors. Will have to look at the brand supplied, but it wasn't any cheap chaff off eBay. Perhaps the Lexus doesn't like this particular brand. What brand do you recommend... Bosch, phillips? What brand do Lexus supply when new, or do they use 'Toyota' bulbs?

I'm pretty savvy on the auto mechanics side of things so i would have made sure they fit snug and avoided touching the halogen bulb at any point.

Have you checked the Battery voltage when the engine is running?

The reason I mention this is because the alternator output is internally regulated and if this has developed a fault it may be supplying a higher than normal voltage which would reduce the lifespan of the bulbs, easy enough to check with a multimeter just to eliminate it as a cause.

Also with tail/stop lights I have noticed with some brands the solder terminals on the base which contact the bulb holder flatten out resulting in a poor intermittent connections, arcing, overheating then complete failure.

Finally check all the main earth points for good electrical contact and tightness as these can cause voltage spikes if loose.

• Like 2

Changed my headlamps bulbs not that long ago....... Phillips out..... Halfords own brand in.

Side lights changed them for LED's...... brand called XL-led.

Can't answer the OEM question.....sorry.

Have not experienced any issues with any of the above.

Is it worth taking a good look at the connections, no condensation in the lamps and ensuring the covers and clips are sitting 100% closed.....as they are a bit of a sod to get back on.

If all ok it's got to be a voltage thing as mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Good point - didn't think of the alternator. Will grab my multimeter, see what it's putting out. 

The bulbs on the rear end have been fine the whole time which makes me think that it's something local to the front.

Condensation could be the culprit. I'll pay attention to the connectors when i open it up. I'll also check voltage to the connectors. See if anything obvious is amiss.

Will report back - in the mean time i'll order some quality bulbs.

If you find the alternator working fine, then I would thoroughly check for rotten, corroded connectors and semi-broken wires.

My previous Mazda kept blowing up H7 bulbs twice or more per 6 months until I have cleaned every single metal terminal or junction starting from the wires finishing on the bulbs terminals.

R.

Quick update; Alternator is spot on and charging as expected. Wiring is in really good nick, nothing corroded/frayed, etc. No signs of moisture anywhere either.

The bulbs I took out we're a variety of brands - Ring, Bosch, Gerlux and one completely non-branded item - all failed.

One thing I did notice was that part of the headlight unit is very loose. The bulbs fit in tight and snugly, but part of the headlight itself is moving inside. I can imagine that every time I hit a pothole or bump in the road that's amplified into the headlight, rattling the s**t out of the bulbs. No filament in any bulb is going to with stand that for too long. 

I can't see any fixings to secure the innards - i'll need to remove the whole unit to investigate the issue properly which i haven't got time for at the moment - so i'm going to place some padding in there to stop it rattling about so much. See if that solves the problem.

Oh, and I ordered a complete new set of bulbs - Osram in case you're wondering!

I previously mentioned only 2 right side lights bulbs replaced in 11 years they too were in a unit which had come loose and were subject to vibration...once fixed no more replaced.  I think you have tracked the issue down and vibration is possibly your culprit too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links