Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tricky one this. Weird weird noise.

Maybe difficult trying to explain a noise but here goes. The car is a 2002 Rx300 152k fullish history, transmission fluid changed last year and still clean. Driving along and started to hear a weird metallic squeaking/whining that disappeared at higher revs. A bit like a rusty hinge on a metal gate but consistent and rising in pitch then barely audible till the revs drop to under about 2000rpm. Then squeals again till over about 2000 rpm and on and on.... and obviously most apparent when driving in town -sounds like metal on metal, like a rusty gate

I think the noise is from the rear of the car. I tried listening and raising revs with my head in the engine bay but couldnt hear it. Occasionally i can smell a hot metal kind of whiff but that could just be paranoia. The car shifts and drives fine apart from the noise that drives me nuts. 

I dont know anything about 4 wheel drive systems but wondered if there is a shot bearing somewhere or a lubricant issue- there are no leaks. It also happens when the car is stationary with drive in Park or Neutral and obviously when driving along. 

Easiest thing is probably to get it to a garage and get an opinion from them. Failing that just turn the radio up and ignore it as it drives fine. 

Anyway wondered if anyone here has any clue and any ideas gratefully received 

thanks

Patrick

If it happens in park I guess that would rule out differential noise.  When you say it's from the rear, it could be the sound just transferring to the rear.  I say that because on a car I had just a couple of years ago I nearly changed the exhaust due to a knocking at the rear, it turned out to be the radiator mountings!

Have you tried switching the aircon off to see if it's the compressor? Our 02 with 125k on it has a noisy compressor bearing and sometimes it can be heard in line with the revs. Probably not but just a thought

Thanks for that and i am not certain the exact location, AC doesn't work so dont think it's that. I wondered if it could be like a pulley slipping in its mount from front belts maybe. 

If it drives OK then it's not likely to be transmission either, it may well be something minor.  Keep us posted as it's always interesting to hear of the outcome.

Hi Patrick.

I had a similar noise in my old 2001 RX300.

It was a glazed drive belt on the alternator pulley and idler wheel. I eventually had it changed and was OK until I sold the car a couple of years ago.

I would suggest that it may be worth trying to either spray some silicone onto the belt when stared up or dust it with French chalk / wife's talcum powder and then drive to see if noise disappears.

Regards

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links