Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How do you remove the panel under the glovebox to get at the fusebox?

I'm trying to find the fusebox on my 2008 RX400H and going by the diagrams I've seen online it should be somewhere under/behind the glovebox. However there's a large plastic panel there to prevent the passengers feet getting up into the gubbins and I can't see how to remove it.

There don't seem to be any screws so I'm assuming it simply latches into place but I've tried various ways to tug it open and it doesn't seem to want to open with gentle force and I'm worried about breaking it if I apply too much force.

How do you remove the panel or access the interior fusebox in a 2008 RX400H? Preferably with a picture!

• Like 1

From an earlier post...

vadre

•  
  • vadre
  • Members
  • 85 posts
  • Lexus Model: RX400h SE Nav

Underneath the glove box. Remove the trim then the fusebox can be seen as you lie on your back looking up below and behind the glovebox. Its difficult to spot, about 6" x 3".

Have fun!

Actually what I needed to find out was specifically how to remove the trim without breaking it.

It turns out that there are three latches on the edge of the panel nearest to the seat and you need to poke a screwdriver or similar sized flat object into them and push them backwards (towards the front of the car) to release them.

I asked Russell at Toyotec to show me the latches and he very helpfully did but until you actually see what they look like it's very difficult to work out how to open them.

• Like 1

As you look at the panel, underneath along the edge nearest you there are 3 square holes, insert a medium size screwdriver blade and gently prize it open, as there are small plastic clips fixing it to the underside.  The rear of the panel is only located into 3 holes in the back so just lift out by pulling forward.  Don't forget to unplug the connector for the little light.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 6/3/2017 at 6:20 PM, RobinGBrown said:

I'm trying to find the fusebox on my 2008 RX400H...

... and my 2003-2004 RX300.

I can remove the panel under the glovebox inside the car - the large black one - but cannot see a fusebox.

Does anyine have any clues please?

( Not the fusebox inside the engine compartment. )

Just now, impero said:

What are you looking for ? what fuse you search ?

Maybe i could search for it in repair manual

I'm searching for the Sunroof fuse - No.48...

Easiest way I found to remove the panel over the fuse box was to put the ignition key in each of the three slots and just twist it slightly. It releases the catch quite easily. No need for excessive force, just insert and twist a bit and the catch comes free. When putting the panel back, make sure the pegs at the back locate in the holes otherwise the panel drops down eventually.

To get at the fuse box you have to be a 20 year old contortionist. Any older or less supple, you will struggle/ache for a week/require back surgery (delete as age-appropriate) after getting to it as it's buried up there under the glovebox. Moving the passenger seat back fully does help, a little.

The Sunroof fuse is definitely in that fuse box under the glove box. As are the fuses for any of the 12v sockets. I have high 12v demands, so I know all about those fuses and the pain after accessing them. 😉  

Make sure you have the correct fuse available. I think it's called a micro-blade fuse. The engine fuse box uses different sized fuses. I found out thanks to those pesky 12v demands. I didn't appreciate getting under the glovebox and finding that out. Also I wasn't impressed the fuse box under the dash doesn't have space for spare fuses either.

Do put the chiropractor on standby before you attempt to access the fuse box though. 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Delphius1 said:

Do put the chiropractor on standby before you attempt to access the fuse box though. 

+1 !

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Have you replaced the fuse successfully now Piers?

I took it out - successfully - to stop the sunroof randomly opening when I was driving ( in the rain ).

I think it's a faulty switch so will see if I can find a replacement switch.

8 minutes ago, PCM said:

I took it out - successfully - to stop the sunroof randomly opening when I was driving ( in the rain ).

I think it's a faulty switch so will see if I can find a replacement switch.

Your little Project has dissuaded me from even thinking about an RX with a sunroof.

I will "watch" you soldiering on with interest.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Your little Project has dissuaded me from even thinking about an RX with a sunroof.

I will "watch" you soldiering on with interest.

John,

Are you sure you didn't mean to type "soldering on"?

😬