Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Left side of car died - please help - Windows not working one side of car only

Having a nightmare.

Lexus IS 220d SE-I

1) Battery died

2) Replaced for new. COCKED UP, got the polarity wrong and fried the electrics.

3) Checked all fuses, replaced several micro fuses and the entire fusible link. CAR 90% works, fully drivable etc however,

PROBLEM

Windows - The on side (passenger) front and rear windows do not work from the doors themselves or the driver's master switch, completely dead. Also the red light at the bottom of the passenger front door isn't illuminated suggesting it might not be just the windows? The wing mirrors do work however (illuminate and fold in, separate circuit??).

Climate Controls - A separate point, the climate controls are dead, the stereo is operable from the steering wheel and the clock displays, but the main unit above with heating, air con and stereo adjustment is dead. Any ideas?

I disconnected it to check the fuses so guess it was unconnected for about 20 mins? Relay idea is something I haven't considered. Are you able to be any more specific? Thanks Brad

6 minutes ago, Zlightbulb80 said:

I disconnected it to check the fuses so guess it was unconnected for about 20 mins? Relay idea is something I haven't considered. Are you able to be any more specific? Thanks Brad

Do you know anybody with a diagnostic machine? When you started the engine are they any lights on the dash?? Have you checked all the fuses even the micro ones.

I've every fuse with a meter. I found and replaced all the blown ones. I don't know anyone with a diagnostics machine sadly. There's no lights on the since i replaced the fusible link.

I found three fuse boards, two in the engine and one next driver's column.

Are there any other fuses or links to check? Is it possible that the motors somehow burnt out one one side of the car... or something. Just not sure how the red light would be affected by this?

12 minutes ago, Zlightbulb80 said:

I've every fuse with a meter. I found and replaced all the blown ones. I don't know anyone with a diagnostics machine sadly. There's no lights on the since i replaced the fusible link.

I found three fuse boards, two in the engine and one next driver's column.

Are there any other fuses or links to check? Is it possible that the motors somehow burnt out one one side of the car... or something. Just not sure how the red light would be affected by this?

Does the key fob lock and unlock the car. 

The key fob is fine, just checked. The locking mechanism is fine from the passenger side. Problem just seems to be restricted to the front and back windows and the red door light. The door light could be separate issue and co-incidence?

Do you have any thoughts on the climate control? There is a ghosting of light to the LCD display, but not working. The buttons do nothing. The security light is flashing on the unit however so it must be getting power.

Can i just swap the climate control unit for a salvaged unit? Just not sure if that would resolve or where the actual fault is. Do you have any idea if there is a separate relay for this items which might have blown?

Thank you for doing that. Much appreciated.

Its the basic stereo, not the sat nav. I deliberately went for lower spec, because I prefer to use my Iphone and have bought a Grom USB 3 unit to connect direct to use the steering controls to operate and sat nav through google maps.

I checked the micro fuses throughout esp. those related to stereo and clock/climate control etc. Definitely found the right fuses because the clock disappears when the fuse is removed etc. I'm just worried I've burnt out /damaged the climate control unit with the Battery fiasco? I'm hoping a striaght swap of the climate control unit with a salvaged part may resolve but expect there will be other issues with this approach?

thanks again.

4 minutes ago, Zlightbulb80 said:

Thank you for doing that. Much appreciated.

Its the basic stereo, not the sat nav. I deliberately went for lower spec, because I prefer to use my iPhone and have bought a Grom USB 3 unit to connect direct to use the steering controls to operate and sat nav through google maps.

I checked the micro fuses throughout esp. those related to stereo and clock/climate control etc. Definitely found the right fuses because the clock disappears when the fuse is removed etc. I'm just worried I've burnt out /damaged the climate control unit with the battery fiasco? I'm hoping a striaght swap of the climate control unit with a salvaged part may resolve but expect there will be other issues with this approach?

thanks again.

They are easy to remove just watch utube video. Does not cost the earth either, but i can not see that solving the window problem.

But modern cars are a strange thing and loads of problems occur from one fault. it could of damaged the alternator. But i would expect Battery light on.

Maybe another member will be along and have a different answer. Do not just throw money on things, it will become expensive.

for £3 you can get access to the wiring diagrams on the lexus portal (1hr access, should be enough).... worth their weight in gold for this sort of thing.  Pick the bit you need and it will downlad a pdf of that circuit

it will at least give you an idea of buzzing out inside the door electrics.   You can get access to mostof the ineteresting stuff by prising up the switch panel inthe door... so can buzz through from there

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links