Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h Premier VED

Just been looking at a new IS300h premier with metallic paint giving a list price is £40485,  i.e. £485 above the new £40000 VED limit meaning an additional £310 for 5 years!!   can't see many being sold unless Lexus officially  reduce the price by £485.

Surely they've got to reduce that list price as that £485 equals £1550 extra road tax. That's just throwing money away. You would have thought they would have done that before the new VED rates came in. 

That's the on the road price which includes first registration fee (£55) and first years VED (£130).

Actual list price with metallic is £40,300 (£39,690 + £610) - so it's actually slightly worse than you think as it's only £300 over.

The problem is, these prices were effective April and prices tend to increase every year - in particular with the pound in the doldrums. If anything, they're likely to increase the price by a few thousand rather than drop by a few hundred.

Might make it difficult to sell in say 3 years as the second owner will (I assume) have to pay the £310 for years 4 and 5.    Strangely the 200T Premier  comes  out just  less than £40K,  so much for taxation to suit the lower emissions of the hybrid - but then add the desirable sunroof option and it goes over £40K -  what a stupid system our government has put in place.

57 minutes ago, Greenfield said:

Might make it difficult to sell in say 3 years as the second owner will (I assume) have to pay the £310 for years 4 and 5.    Strangely the 200T Premier  comes  out just  less than £40K,  so much for taxation to suit the lower emissions of the hybrid - but then add the desirable sunroof option and it goes over £40K -  what a stupid system our government has put in place.

I think it's a better system than in the past. Those that can afford the >£40,000 car new pay the higher tax. Those that can only afford the older, less efficient, cars aren't forced to pay the higher rate of tax.

It shouldn't make it difficult to sell in 3 years time. In general, a £40,000 car will cost £20,000 in 3 years - an extra £620 tax over 2 years is insignificant compared to depreciation. Those for which £620 is an issue won't be on the market for a £20,000 car.

• Like 1

I think the difference with the current £10 tax and £310 for Premier will make a lot of people think, I'd have to question if those extra's are really worth it, one of the lower priced models will give you 98% of the same driving experience, if you've got money to burn then you'll be looking at a new one.  

The way IS prices are going, I think it will be £20k in two years not three! 

Is depreciation getting worse with the IS?  I have been away from Lexus ownership for 18 months and had not noticed, perhaps I will take a more careful look at the used options.

I guess everybody wants SUV these days.

6 minutes ago, Greenfield said:

Is depreciation getting worse with the IS?  I have been away from Lexus ownership for 18 months and had not noticed, perhaps I will take a more careful look at the used options.

I guess everybody wants SUV these days.

It won't be £500

If you read the VED recommendations carefully, it says the VED is based on list price not OTR price so you may find that you don't actually pay £310 extra. 

And as per depreciation, no its no worse than it was - it probably looks like that because discounts on the IS are massive as its a facelift model and not a brand new model

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links