Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's a fair price to pay for new 225/55/17 tyres and should used tyres be avoided at all cost!

I'm thinking of putting some winter tyres on a couple of spare wheels for sub zero temperatures (those 2-3 days we get each year in sunny Essex) and I see a huge variance on eBay with some cheap part worn winter examples?

99% of the time I simply poodle about in my LS430 and it would be a lack of concentration, without the cruise control on, if I were to exceed 80 even on motorways.

Therefore, for me, does buying cheap Chinese or budget tyres really make a difference. If the tyre rating is legitimate and the noise rating is good or better will I notice any difference?

I bought 4 x new tyres last year delivered to my home for just £160 for my SC430 and they seem perfectly fine.

Currently running Kumho (mid priced) having had Dunlop Sports previously.

I would never buy part worn tyres for a main car, too much to lose:  .......  one's life maybe !

However i have put part worn non-budget tyres ( from a main tyre dealer ) on my Mazda for pottering about locally and not under undue stress like they would be on the Lexus

Malc

I would never buy part worn tyres, but I am also not a tyre snob. There are some very good "cheap" tyres  on the market, and some very bad expensive one's. People tend to believe if your paying a high price they must be good.

There are some tyres called "Landsail" that were tested against some of the so called top tyre brands by a German tyre test company. The Landsail tyres held up in all respects coming in third place in 20 brands.

I am testing some cheap tyres at the moment, and I am currently nearly half way through the test. I can say without doubt the tyres I am testing would exceed most peoples expectations for wet, and dry grip, handling, and although still at limited millage the ware rate appears very good. I would rate them above the Yokhama's that were taken off the car.

Yes there are some bad tyres out there I agree, but they are not always the less expensive tyres. A few years ago makes such as Kumho, and Hankook were frowned upon. Now they are there with the other so called best.

John

• Like 3

This is a discussion I've had any times with my dad who is a tyre designer for Michelin. In his opinion there was a difference many years ago between the budget and premium brands but that has narrowed hugely and a lot of the premium brands such as Michelin are made in China now as well. If he didn't get his for free he would buy the cheaper ones. Go on the ratings and reviews rather than brand or price. I'm currently running landsail on my ls400 and three A on my Honda. Both have been fantastic. 

Just my 2 pence

• Like 4

10 hours ago, talaipwros said:

I usually stick to the ones that the car came with when new. If the carmaker trusts them for the car, then so should I.

but this is just my opinion

sadly the Dunlop DZ8 s or whatever they were are no longer manufactured and we Ls400 owners are having to source an alternative !

Malc

• Like 1

All in my opinion of course (thats why I wrote it?!) but skimping out on tyres is a mugs game.

Ill stick to my Continental Premium contact 2 on the LS400, Bridgestone Potenza s001 on the LS460 & Yokohama AD08r on my MR2 Turbo with 450bhp

I have been using the Vredstein Winter Extreme for about 8 years now on my LS400 MK 4, in Essex, year round and they are not only well rated but also have good grip, low noise (not noticeable) and last well (about 24-30K miles) and would highly recommend them. A set of 4 (I replace them all at the same time, with the same brand and kind). When I last bought them m(end of last year) it cost me about £90 per corner, delivered from Germany directly to my home. The price does vary. If interested I will look up the website (they say they deliver within 7 days but I received them in 3 days). I have also used this same website for years and would recommend them. 

5 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

This is a discussion I've had any times with my dad who is a tyre designer for Michelin. In his opinion there was a difference many years ago between the budget and premium brands but that has narrowed hugely and a lot of the premium brands such as Michelin are made in China now as well. If he didn't get his for free he would buy the cheaper ones. Go on the ratings and reviews rather than brand or price. I'm currently running landsail on my ls400 and three A on my Honda. Both have been fantastic. 

Just my 2 pence

Strangely the tyres I am testing are "Three A", and as yet I cannot fault them, and better than the Yokohama's. My next set of tyres "in about 2 tears time" will probably be Landsail. With ratings of "B" for wet grip, "A" for fuel economy, and a noise level of 69db on the 245/40/18 size. I would be interested in the ware rate of these if you have any information?

As you say tyres today are manufactured in many different counties including the top names being made in India, China, and Malaysia.

John.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

Just my 2 pence

What Landsail model do you run on your LS400 and does it have M+S label?

I'm also running 'Three A' front tyres on my IS, still on Dunlops for the rears.

I needed two fronts unexpectedly and just when money was a bit tight and these came recommended by a mate who runs them on his taxi.  

They've been on for nearly 3 months now and I have to say I can't fault them, certainly no noisier than the Dunlops they replaced and possibly a bit quieter. Grip seems good, in fact I pushed them a bit today in the pouring rain and they were fine. My only gripe would be that the sidewall profile doesn't give any curbing protection to your alloys.

7 hours ago, GEN said:

I have been using the Vredstein Winter Extreme for about 8 years now on my LS400 MK 4, in Essex, year round and they are not only well rated but also have good grip, low noise (not noticeable) and last well (about 24-30K miles) and would highly recommend them. A set of 4 (I replace them all at the same time, with the same brand and kind). When I last bought them m(end of last year) it cost me about £90 per corner, delivered from Germany directly to my home. The price does vary. If interested I will look up the website (they say they deliver within 7 days but I received them in 3 days). I have also used this same website for years and would recommend them. 

Perhaps surprisingly winter tyres do not offer as much wet or dry grip as summer tyres at above 7C. I can see the advantage of only running one set of tyres, but you would be better off saving the winter tyres for the winter, and fitting some summer tyres for the months that are generally above 7C. Below 7C winter tyres win hands down.

John

• Like 1

My experience clearly differs from yours and (although others have expressed a similar perspective to mine ) I stand by what I have experienced at first hand over a period of years.  Each to his/her own...

49 minutes ago, GEN said:

My experience clearly differs from yours and (although others have expressed a similar perspective to mine ) I stand by what I have experienced at first hand over a period of years.  Each to his/her own...

Just staying with Vredestein they show there winter tyre ratings as Econ (C) Wet grip (C) Noise 70db. There summer tyre same size Econ (B)  Wet grip (A)  Noise 70db.       A substantial improvement in wet grip. There figures not mine.

John.

The proof of the pudding....... Have you? 

Vredstein winters roll on for me. 

As for everyone else? Just as they like :spring, summer, etc 

I have no further interest in the matter. 

Excellent pool of advice and comment all.

I agree that recommendation, rating and feedback ranks ahead of label and price tag.

Winter grip for me is an issue as frankly, sub zero, the car stays in the driveway. With rear drive, I just don't have the confidence to stop and stay straight in sleet, snow or ice.

Winter tyres fitted on spare wheels in the garage for the back and perhaps the front also in case of a 'cold snap' appeals to me so I will look for NEW rated and recommended tyres now as this time of year I guess there are deals to be had.

Thxs.

I have never paid an attention to new classification.

You have to think beyond that classification an understand that an ie "F" fuel efficiency tyre is probably better on grip than an "A" one cos giving more grip therefore less fuel efficient.

Best is to think what do you really need and pick the suitable tyre fir you and your car.

I'm very happy with nexens n'priz 4s for potting around pennines.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Michelin Cross-Climate?

Just about to put 2 Michelin Energy savers on my Citroen XM.

Comments I've had are that I wouldn't need extra grip/Cross climates in UK as winter short....no usually icy.

(Plus I rarely drive far in winter-or at all.)

• 2 weeks later...

Can I add another aspect to this topic.

Having recently sold a spare set of  LS430 17 inch rims refurbished from a 2001 model to someone who preferred them to their perished later 2006 model 18 inch rims.

Before investing in new tyres and potentially spending 400 to 600+ quid, would it be better to convert to 18 inch wheels/tyres from later models first?

Handling, ride, compatibility, speedo accuracy etc.?

Uniroyal rainsport tyres are the only tyres I buy these days. Can't recommend them highly enough. Not too hard on the wallet either.

Superb in the wet and just as good in the dry.

Hardly any road noise either.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links