Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will this routine work well?

10 hours ago, rayaans said:

Yes, FK1000P and Fusso on wheels will need some agitation - as with any other wheel sealant that is not a coating.

Hybrids don't spew out as much brake dust as conventional cars so results can be skewed. 

I think you're probably better off going with the C5 (other manufacturers do make wheel coatings as well). 

I'm guessing none of the coatings could withstand a dose of PH neutral wheel cleaner like Red 7 though so it would be 1 or the other still?

Would be nice to have something like C5 on the wheel but also find a mild but effective wheel cleaner that didn't remove the coating

4 minutes ago, dougie175 said:

I'm guessing none of the coatings could withstand a dose of PH neutral wheel cleaner like Red 7 though so it would be 1 or the other still?

Would be nice to have something like C5 on the wheel but also find a mild but effective wheel cleaner that didn't remove the coating

Well it's not recommended. I'm not sure how many hits it'd take to get rid of it completely but I can't see it doing any good

I've used C5 before and you'll find that just a pressure wash will remove 90% of dirt and shampoo will fully clean it. You won't need/want to use wheel cleaner once you've seen how good it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dougie175 said:

Right Gtechniq C5 purchased now time to get my wheels off cleaned 100% and protected!

Oh dear you better stop asking questions or its going to start getting extremely expensive!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rayaans said:

Oh dear you better stop asking questions or its going to start getting extremely expensive!

Ha ha very true the C5 is relatively cheap in fairness if it lasts 12 months it's a very justified price. Watched quite a few YouTube videos and seems to yield fantastic results. 

Still thinking of getting some red 7 for the wife's car I'm no where near as obsessive on her Leon so a bit of none acidic wheel cleaner would make life a lot easier

3 hours ago, dougie175 said:

Ha ha very true the C5 is relatively cheap in fairness if it lasts 12 months it's a very justified price. Watched quite a few YouTube videos and seems to yield fantastic results. 

Still thinking of getting some red 7 for the wife's car I'm no where near as obsessive on her Leon so a bit of none acidic wheel cleaner would make life a lot easier

Yes, in that case, the Red 7 should be good for her car then.

On a side note, the wheel woolie style brush has come from China - ordered from Aliexpress about 2 weeks ago but its arrived much quicker than expected.

So far, it looks like the perfect size and reasonable quality for £10. 

bUrWW3d.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dougie175 said:

Any chance of a link to the oversize bog brush?

Haha more like an undersized duster. It's made of genuine sheep's wool so is very very soft. Appears generally well made and I've dusted the radiators with it to my wife's amusement. It gets in between anything larger than 1.5cm (diameter of the plastic rod) and has no metal parts so that's good. Has a rubber grip on the end which some didn't either. Lots of different ones available on aliexpress and some are in fancy red wool

https://aliexpress.com/s/item/32736941903.html?spm=a2g0n.search-cache.0.0.70bc08b968qOqR#autostay

I got the d15A version.

20170715_135627.jpg

20170715_135609.jpg

• Like 1

Purchased one they are a lot cheaper than most of the ones I have seen from the UK, and if you're happy with it I am sure I will be!

So alongside the C5 and this brush should have everything I need to keep the wheels clean without too much work!

2 minutes ago, dougie175 said:

Purchased one they are a lot cheaper than most of the ones I have seen from the UK, and if you're happy with it I am sure I will be!

So alongside the C5 and this brush should have everything I need to keep the wheels clean without too much work!

Should have waited for me to use it! 

Im thinking it will generally be OK to be honest but theres always a chance it'll disintegrate once I use it on wheels!

5 hours ago, dougie175 said:

The brush just arrived in extra rapid time, very impressed 5 working days!

I have the C5 now too so may get chance to do my wheels tomorrow all being well!5971c5a275219_2017-07-2110_10_57.thumb.jpg.3973b1b10448fc051b786ff2f8b51398.jpg

I ordered it on a Friday night so maybe why mine took about 12 days all in all. 

Initial impressions of the brush?

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

I ordered it on a Friday night so maybe why mine took about 12 days all in all. 

Initial impressions of the brush?

Not that i have anything to compare it too butt i would day the quality is fantastic. Can't imagine the ones for £40 can do anything much better i will be giving it a try tomorrow anyway going to get all 4 wheels off and give them the full works and treat with C5. Any tips?

2 hours ago, dougie175 said:

Not that i have anything to compare it too butt i would day the quality is fantastic. Can't imagine the ones for £40 can do anything much better i will be giving it a try tomorrow anyway going to get all 4 wheels off and give them the full works and treat with C5. Any tips?

Not really. Find wheels are quite straightforward. Just make sure you decontaminate them properly. 

We don't have to worry about wheel backs too much as they're not clear coated but I suspect your rims are

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Not really. Find wheels are quite straightforward. Just make sure you decontaminate them properly. 

We don't have to worry about wheel backs too much as they're not clear coated but I suspect your rims are

Yeah seems like put it on very sparingly then take the excess off, will put the infrared lamps on them at work to help the C5 cure as I need to drive the car home once complete. The plan was to do the outsides first then use whatever is left on the inside of the rims.

Yeah I have plenty of products at my disposal to make sure the wheels are 100% clean.

Will get myself another C5 pack and do my winter wheels too prepped ready for winter it is fast approaching!

Well I'm very impressed with the C5 already. Usually by Wednesday after cleaning my wheels on a Sunday they are covered in brake dust. However using the C5 the dust doesn't seem to be sticking. The rain is beading off the alloys beautifully this evening looks like the rain would literally wash anything off that did manage to stick to the alloys

I've decided to try a couple more Gtechniq products in the form of G1, G2 and G4 kit for my glass and a bottle of C4 permanent trim restorer for my underline skirt kit as the plastic looks very "dry" and untreated and dust and dirt just gather on them so I'm hoping that the C4 will keep them looking great and also help keep them a bit cleaner. Think the problem is the fusso is so good and dirt from the car runs straight down and gathers on the underline skirt kit and sticks to it. Hopefully the C4 will keep the dirt running down onto the floor!

OK so today I finally got chance to give the wheel brush and C5 a test, the C5 has done a great job over the week a lot less brake dust on my wheel as most seem to have either not stuck or been washed off by rain water, a quick blast with the karcher and the wheels were pretty clean.

Next I tried the budget wheel brush, unfortunately cant say I'm impressed all the nice "thickness" just disappeared the minute it got wet and it just turned into a slightly fluffy thin stick, it was useless to clean the wheels with.

@rayaans have you had chance to try yours and did you find the same thing? Never had a wool wheel brush to compare it too but I'm sure the good ones must be better than this or they wouldn't sell.

3 hours ago, dougie175 said:

OK so today I finally got chance to give the wheel brush and C5 a test, the C5 has done a great job over the week a lot less brake dust on my wheel as most seem to have either not stuck or been washed off by rain water, a quick blast with the karcher and the wheels were pretty clean.

Next I tried the budget wheel brush, unfortunately cant say I'm impressed all the nice "thickness" just disappeared the minute it got wet and it just turned into a slightly fluffy thin stick, it was useless to clean the wheels with.

@rayaans have you had chance to try yours and did you find the same thing? Never had a wool wheel brush to compare it too but I'm sure the good ones must be better than this or they wouldn't sell.

Haven't used mine yet but will see what it's like when it use it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Haven't used mine yet but will see what it's like when it use it. 

I have since watched a few wheel woollies videos on youtube and I can confirm you will be very disappointed in the 1 we have it does even look like it comes close, quite good for cleaning in between very tight areas I would guess but useless on my large wide open spokes

Yep, the genuine Wheel Woolies retain their plushness/thickness when loaded-up and during use. They don't seem to fray or lose any material either.  There's no denying that £40 for a set is harsh, but their quality really is excellent.

If they could be purchased seperately, I would recommend buying the largest sized brush without hesitation. I tend to only use this one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Yep, the genuine Wheel Woolies retain their plushness/thickness when loaded-up and during use. They don't seem to fray or lose any material either.  There's no denying that £40 for a set is harsh, but their quality really is excellent.

If they could be purchased seperately, I would recommend buying the largest sized brush without hesitation. I tend to only use this one.

Yeah they look excellent, I'm thinking its worth the cash though as I'm sick of it taking longer to clean me wheels than the rest of my car!

Think the big and the tiny wheel woollies would be all I need.

Out of interest once people have cleaned inside the spokes with wheel woollies or similar what do you use for the wheel face?

I use a mixture of soft detail brush and an old wash mitt that's been relegated to wheel duties.

3 minutes ago, dougie175 said:

Think the big and the tiny wheel woollies would be all I need.

Exactly this. I've never used the medium-sized one. Might be needed for a different wheel design, I guess.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dougie175 said:

I have since watched a few wheel woollies videos on youtube and I can confirm you will be very disappointed in the 1 we have it does even look like it comes close, quite good for cleaning in between very tight areas I would guess but useless on my large wide open spokes

Might be OK for the RX spokes as they're pretty close together.

I'll have to test it out properly when I get chance but been on holiday so didn't use it.

2 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

I use a mixture of soft detail brush and an old wash mitt that's been relegated to wheel duties.

Exactly this. I've never used the medium-sized one. Might be needed for a different wheel design, I guess.

I expected so, I have an older Meg's wash mitt which I have relegated to wheel duties since getting the amazing microfibre Madness wash mitt

Yeah think I need to just bite the bullet and buy some wheel woollies as only these and the EZ brushes seem to be really up to the job