Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car theft..... living in the eighties??

So a friend of a friend had his Fiesta ST nicked a couple of weekends ago.

That brings the tally for ST's stolen in my circle to four in less than eight months.

Plus reports of almost any Audi model up to around five years old disappearing on a weekly basis & lord help you if you have a full blown 'S3,4,5, etc.

Not one has been recovered....

So my son turns up with a new fangle accessory ( in his 21 yr old world!) to deter anyone who fancies his VRX......

a steering lock!..... just like the one we had on our hot hatches in the 80's. I had to smile it hasn't changed a bit although apparently it has a flashing LED...

Just seems that we are going rapidly backward in car security after a couple of decades of reasonable secure times..... is it the same across the country?

Are other makes effected so badly but I'm not hearing about it?

I'm west mids by the way.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1

I think it was called a "Crook Lock" and fitted under the brake pedal and over the bottom of the steering wheel, I hope they have improved the quality as the originals could be removed in seconds if you knew how to.

There was another one which was dish shaped and clamped over the steering wheel with a long arm coming off it which prevented the wheel being turned very far.

Finally the one which fitted over the handbrake lever and the over the gear lever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vintagesixtysix said:

So a friend of a friend had his Fiesta ST nicked a couple of weekends ago.

That brings the tally for ST's stolen in my circle to four in less than eight months.

Plus reports of almost any Audi model up to around five years old disappearing on a weekly basis & lord help you if you have a full blown 'S3,4,5, etc.

Not one has been recovered....

So my son turns up with a new fangle accessory ( in his 21 yr old world!) to deter anyone who fancies his VRX......

a steering lock!..... just like the one we had on our hot hatches in the 80's. I had to smile it hasn't changed a bit although apparently it has a flashing LED...

Just seems that we are going rapidly backward in car security after a couple of decades of reasonable secure times..... is it the same across the country?

Are other makes effected so badly but I'm not hearing about it?

I'm west mids by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

The Ford Fiesta ST is a car thats hot at the moment. Its relatively easy to nick as well. 

Some other cars include the Audi S3, Audi Q7, BMW X5, Polo GTI and Golf R. Certain colour combos are extremely popular. For example, the Golf R in Blue and Red are almost guaranteed to get stolen.

VRX is unlikely to get stolen - these cars are usually stolen to order and nobody in Kenya wants a Vauxhall.

• Like 1

Yes all those eighties locks were easy to overcome, this is a Thatcham approved relatively modern one which can be had for around £80.00, its very important to remember when in use make sure not to lose the key !

On holiday last September in Norfolk parked the Isf in an isolated car park and put it on came back a few hours later and realised I'd lost the key 🙄

I wont say how I removed it but they are pretty effective.

IMG_0449.thumb.JPG.7c5c2f5d642edc336767e5262e3fcef2.JPG

Big Rat 

• Like 1

latest in Holland is the Bearlock. It locks the gearbox solid can be unlocked with a key and is internal. Lexus dealers install this for 750 euro.

Cartheft over here is well down but maybe that is because they dont take the car they just strip it completely. Bumpers, fenders, wheels, complete ( and i mean complete) interiors. Wake up in the morning go to your car only to find out it is just completely stripped. Seems to be on order also. one week only GPS systems, next week steeringwheels then complete fronts of VW poloś etc

16 hours ago, floggit said:

Autolock....

4 fiesta st gone in my area recently. 

IMG_0209.JPG

Interesting solution.

Likelihood of someone removing the gear knob and handbrake cover? 

I can do it on my son's Golf in less than 10 seconds with a flat head screwdriver.

• Like 1

I had a Saab 99 back in the day......reverse gear transmission lock.

If the electronics are going to be vulnerable to clone/hack/ interference .....maybe physical deterrents will have to make comeback?

Maybe we'll all be whipping a plug out ever time we park up!....LOL

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Biometric???.....I think I read apple and Samsung are ready to take this to the next level... 3D facial recognition....finger prints going on to the screen.

Sounds fanciful..... but I guess so did gps once upon a time.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

On 6/8/2017 at 11:13 AM, rayaans said:

Depends which one you get. You can jam the signal on most of them. 

well, a professional one. £399 to instal and another £300 for three yearssubscription

On 2017-6-8 at 2:53 PM, Vintagesixtysix said:

Biometric???.....I think I read apple and Samsung are ready to take this to the next level... 3D facial recognition....finger prints going on to the screen.

Sounds fanciful..... but I guess so did gps once upon a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

Ok, maybe I'm a tad cynical, but that would leave two ways of nicking your car, kidnap you, or chop off just the bit they need, in which case you'd better hope you have the finger print option.

At one time, I'd have thought that was unlikely, now, I'm not so sure.

There are some horrible sods about.

at the weekend i saw a Healey 3000 Mk111 with a very sophisticated steering lock in use  .......  but it was a show car entrant in the middle of a Classic Car Show on Sheppey Kent !

I know the car is probably worth about £100k BUT would it get stolen parked in the middle of a classic car show with the owner right by :whistling1:

Malc

5 hours ago, talaipwros said:

well, a professional one. £399 to instal and another £300 for three yearssubscription

"Professional" trackers can be jammed. I think mine was £400 and £399 for lifelong subscription. 

Ideally you want a Thatcham Cat 5 tracker but cat 6 will do

9 hours ago, rayaans said:

"Professional" trackers can be jammed. I think mine was £400 and £399 for lifelong subscription. 

Ideally you want a Thatcham Cat 5 tracker but cat 6 will do

thanks for that, I will double check when the car arrives