Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All

My RX 450h 2010 with 47000 miles has failed the MOT with a rear suspension coil spring snapped in two places?

I have seen the evidence video of the part on the vehicle, sent by Lexus Bristol, showing the item in situ broken in two places.

So how does a vehicle of 47000 miles carefully driven get a snapped coil spring?

OK, could it be because I have started pulling a caravan recently? 

Ideas, happened to anyone....

2ddesign

1 hour ago, 2ddesign said:

Hi All

My RX 450h 2010 with 47000 miles has failed the MOT with a rear suspension coil spring snapped in two places?

I have seen the evidence video of the part on the vehicle, sent by Lexus Bristol, showing the item in situ broken in two places.

So how does a vehicle of 47000 miles carefully driven get a snapped coil spring?

OK, could it be because I have started pulling a caravan recently? 

Ideas, happened to anyone....

2ddesign

A caravan would put extra stress on the components but won't be the root cause.

I would imagine its road salt and corrosion that caused it.

Hi David

Still waiting to pick-up vehicle, so have not had a chance to discuss this with them!

My caravan is a Trivargo Silver 310, one of the smallest caravans you can get and the lightest 850kg.

As to the cost it could be £430 approximately waiting for the part to be fitted today!

2ddesign

21 minutes ago, 2ddesign said:

Hi David

Still waiting to pick-up vehicle, so have not had a chance to discuss this with them!

My caravan is a Trivargo Silver 310, one of the smallest caravans you can get and the lightest 850kg.

As to the cost it could be £430 approximately waiting for the part to be fitted today!

2ddesign

Its still 850kg of extra load though. However, that would only add to stress but I think the main reason would be corrosion to the springs causing them to crack.

You don't live anywhere with salty air do you?

Rayaans

You are correct that this does put an extra load on the springs! I do not live with salty air though.

I just had the Lexus technician phone me up as I am typing this......the part has not turned up...... so it will be tomorrow when it is sorted! 

But I asked him if pulling the caravan was a cause, he commented that the other side is ok and more likely a fault in the metal of the spring?

So at least I have a new NX 300h with 2000 miles on the clock to drive till then...

2ddesign

Broken springs seem to be getting more common these days, across all makes/models.  Poor materials and poor roads appear to be common factors of such failures, so I wouldn't be unduly concerned about the vehicles towing ability.  

Vehicles that have tow bars homologated have to pass tests to prove they are capable of towing a given weight safely.

jack, are they replacing both sides for that cost?  Suspension 'should' ideally be replaced in pairs across the affected axle.

Lee

Thank you for your post, my tow bar set-up is the best you can get from, Westfalia automotive in Bristol, recommended by Lexus for the RX450h. 

I take your point about suspension, but this is for the coil springs that fit around the suspension arms.

2ddesign

I don't follow you there, the springs are part of the suspension.  

Corrosion and can lead to weak springs, again down to poor quality metals and/or coatings.

Anyhoo, good that they spotted the issue otherwise it may have caused a nasty accident.

What does the Lexus repair cost cover?

31 minutes ago, 2ddesign said:

Rayaans

You are correct that this does put an extra load on the springs! I do not live with salty air though.

I just had the Lexus technician phone me up as I am typing this......the part has not turned up...... so it will be tomorrow when it is sorted! 

But I asked him if pulling the caravan was a cause, he commented that the other side is ok and more likely a fault in the metal of the spring?

So at least I have a new NX 300h with 2000 miles on the clock to drive till then...

2ddesign

That is reassuring, to an extent!

It may just be one of those things - plenty of RXs out there with perfectly good spring, including mine at 45k miles and only 2 years younger

The biggest danger with broken coil springs is the possibility of the end of the broken spring puncturing the side wall of the tyre. Common with McPherson strut suspension.

Unlike most suspension the Lexus sprig is mounted further inboard than most lessening the possibility of tyre damage. Even if the spring was able to fall away completely the car would still be derivable sitting on the substantial rubber bump stop.

Neither the spring or shockabsorber are in any way used to hold the wheel or it's alignment. This job is done by the double wishbone multi link suspension system.

John

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links