Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Car vs "Old" Second hand Car

Bought my IS200 6 and a half years ago which was in need of a new clutch.
Since then, i've had the timing belt, water pump and ball joints replaced...
Ohh and some new tyres.
All other money spent has been on modifications.

6 M.O.T's 6 passed

I'd rather spend the depreciation value of a new car, on an older car I own and modify it, that's just me.

But we need people to keep buying new cars to help the economy even if it is a waste of money.

I've had many tell me I need a new car, I ask why.. They say because mine is 15 years old.
Ohh do you get a 'cool sticker' when driving a new car?
I drive the car not the number plate!

Going out in my 15 year old car now to drive and smile! :)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

What equipment was this?

2010 car had;

- Electrically-adjustable steering column that moved into position or retracted when powered on/off.

- Driver & Passenger seat position memory.

- Door mirrors that dipped when reverse was engaged.

- Mirrors could also be configured to auto-fold when locking.

- Mark Levinson sound system & ability to rip CDs to the HDD.

None of this is available on a MY2011 F-Sport.

1 hour ago, J Henderson said:

2010 car had;

- Electrically-adjustable steering column that moved into position or retracted when powered on/off.

- Driver & Passenger seat position memory.

- Door mirrors that dipped when reverse was engaged.

- Mirrors could also be configured to auto-fold when locking.

- Mark Levinson sound system & ability to rip CDs to the HDD.

None of this is available on a MY2011 F-Sport.

I think that must have been to do with how they changed the positioning of the different trim levels. I believe they initially started off with having F-Sport at the same level as the SE-Ls and then moved them down to differentiate between them.

Essentially you are missing the memory pack, auto folding mirrors and the ML. Without the memory seats, its impossible to have dipping door mirrors and retracting steering wheels as they don't know which position to go back into.

They sorted these out for the 3rd generation as all those are available now.

22 hours ago, rayaans said:

I think that must have been to do with how they changed the positioning of the different trim levels. I believe they initially started off with having F-Sport at the same level as the SE-Ls and then moved them down to differentiate between them.

Essentially you are missing the memory pack, auto folding mirrors and the ML. Without the memory seats, its impossible to have dipping door mirrors and retracting steering wheels as they don't know which position to go back into.

They sorted these out for the 3rd generation as all those are available now.

It is more standard vs. optional case. I had 2012 F-Sport and it had all above. To be honest I didn't even know it was optional as I didn't order the car.. just bought car available on the floor. Same is true for Mk3... actually when they released it initially it had very poor standard equipment and even keyless entry was optional on SE, whereas it was standard on all mk2s (I was amazed how poor it was at launch), then with time they kept moving items from options list to standard.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm certainly having some deep thoughts about my current car which doesn't cut it for me. Ranging from buy something nearly new for about £30k down to why not buy something fun but older for about £15k? I have a lovely looking NX which is a delight to drive some times and an absolute nightmare at other times, largely when I'm pushing on a little. I'm also looking at something that is depreciating quite a bit and will continue to do so were I to keep it for 2-3 years. Trouble is I need a reliable car to get me around - I do about 20k miles a year and depend upon the car for my work. I have 1 year approved used warranty and 2 additional years extended warranty on mine, also have the smart repair policy too. Won't spend much on repairs but of course I will lose a fair bit in depreciation. Was initially thinking I'd buy something else for about what I paid for the NX but I'm now thinking I might buy for about £15k only. I'm enjoying driving my wife's Mini Cooper 1.5t and we can share the mileage between two cars - I do twice the annual mileage she does - so maybe it's time to buy something enjoyable that would hold its value. Keep being drawn to an IS-F. Might have to pay a bit more than £15k to get a decent one but it won't depreciate half as much as an NX and my smiles per mile will be way higher.

It is a wonderful game. My daughter bought a 2005 Beetle for £1500 - it is immaculate and drives like a dream - 71,000 miles full service history. That is the type (not that make or model for me) of car that we all aim to find. It is a dilemma how much you pay to get a good one. To be honest, the cheaper cars I have bought have given me more smiles per mile. It is when you buy a Lemon that the tables turn. I suppose it is better to buy £5000 Lemon than a £20,000 one! I am still not sure what is the best thing to do.

The cheaper the car the less expectations I have.

On 13/07/2017 at 7:19 PM, paulrnx said:

I'm certainly having some deep thoughts about my current car which doesn't cut it for me. Ranging from buy something nearly new for about £30k down to why not buy something fun but older for about £15k? I have a lovely looking NX which is a delight to drive some times and an absolute nightmare at other times, largely when I'm pushing on a little. I'm also looking at something that is depreciating quite a bit and will continue to do so were I to keep it for 2-3 years. Trouble is I need a reliable car to get me around - I do about 20k miles a year and depend upon the car for my work. I have 1 year approved used warranty and 2 additional years extended warranty on mine, also have the smart repair policy too. Won't spend much on repairs but of course I will lose a fair bit in depreciation. Was initially thinking I'd buy something else for about what I paid for the NX but I'm now thinking I might buy for about £15k only. I'm enjoying driving my wife's Mini Cooper 1.5t and we can share the mileage between two cars - I do twice the annual mileage she does - so maybe it's time to buy something enjoyable that would hold its value. Keep being drawn to an IS-F. Might have to pay a bit more than £15k to get a decent one but it won't depreciate half as much as an NX and my smiles per mile will be way higher.

With 15K budget, you can buy decent cars for £10K and spend £5K on warranty that's if warranties cost that much these days..  thing is most confuse buying new as being reliable which is not always the case..  

21 hours ago, noby76 said:

With 15K budget, you can buy decent cars for £10K and spend £5K on warranty that's if warranties cost that much these days..  thing is most confuse buying new as being reliable which is not always the case..  

I bet it is the case more often than not though. I do 20k miles a year and depend upon my car for work. I wouldn't like to put 60k miles on an older car that already has quite a few miles on it. I've done it in the past and it's always cost me money on repairs and missed meetings.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:36 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

I would not necessarily call it Bangernomics it is a compromise between supposed reliability and cost.

Neither would I. The guy at Autocar calls it this

21 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I bet it is the case more often than not though. I do 20k miles a year and depend upon my car for work. I wouldn't like to put 60k miles on an older car that already has quite a few miles on it. I've done it in the past and it's always cost me money on repairs and missed meetings.

some fare points there.. but i also think it boils down to how a car has been engineered.. i think from what i have seen so far Japanese cars like Lexus, Toyota and Honda tends to have major engine and gearbox and exhaust parts designed to last at least 100 k miles.

all my cars have been 2nd hand the the only time i suffered an unexpected break down was in my Ford Cougar V6's alternator and Rover 45 head gasket but was still driveable which were both understood to be a design problem for those manufactures bedsides that i tend to do the preventative parts change every time i get a car like spark plugs auto gearbox oil change, cam belt change if its belt driven, basically anything related to oil or cooling i change them and by following this principal has mainly not left me stranded 9 out of 10 times in a second hand car. 'touch wood'

That's not saying 2nd hand Lemons don't exist but there are some decent cars with 50-100k miles on them that will do another 100K without encountering an unexpected break down and will still have performance and drive like it just rolled off factory if of course taken care of which wont cost an arm and leg either to maintain. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noby76 said:

some fare points there.. but i also think it boils down to how a car has been engineered.. i think from what i have seen so far Japanese cars like Lexus, Toyota and Honda tends to have major engine and gearbox and exhaust parts designed to last at least 100 k miles.

all my cars have been 2nd hand the the only time i suffered an unexpected break down was in my Ford Cougar V6's alternator and Rover 45 head gasket but was still driveable which were both understood to be a design problem for those manufactures bedsides that i tend to do the preventative parts change every time i get a car like spark plugs auto gearbox oil change, cam belt change if its belt driven, basically anything related to oil or cooling i change them and by following this principal has mainly not left me stranded 9 out of 10 times in a second hand car. 'touch wood'

That's not saying 2nd hand Lemons don't exist but there are some decent cars with 50-100k miles on them that will do another 100K without encountering an unexpected break down and will still have performance and drive like it just rolled off factory if of course taken care of which wont cost an arm and leg either to maintain. 

Agree with this. It is surprising how many people run cars without having them serviced until they go wrong. On that basis a service history is wirth its weight in lead!

• Like 1