Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New owner questions E92 M3 to IS F

Hi All,

Sold my coupe e92 M3 recently and have just purchased a 2013 Lexus ISF.  I needed a 4 door equivalent of the M3 but having spent over 1k on repairs in the last month on it (the dreaded throttle actuators and an ABS sensor) I decided not to even contemplate the saloon version as a replacement.  Failing throttle actuators I felt was a bit of a mickey take and poor design from BMW to be using second rate components.  So, after lots of reading decided the ISF was the way forward.  

So far very pleased and I have no regrets...looking forward to not shelling out on unnecessary repairs touch wood! If anything, the ISF seems a little dated in terms of interior design but it reminds me very much of the Honda S2000 I owned in terms of the dated design and engine that erupted once you went past a certain RPM.  

One little query  - can the Lexus Enform software be updated to be a little more current? Can I display album art embedded in my MP3's? My M3 was 2010 and yet the software seems more current and enabled me to display album art etc.  Not a major issue, but the mp3 playing from a usb is seriously slow and old fashioned.  

Thanks a lot  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ecswtrav said:

Hi All,

Sold my coupe e92 M3 recently and have just purchased a 2013 Lexus ISF.  I needed a 4 door equivalent of the M3 but having spent over 1k on repairs in the last month on it (the dreaded throttle actuators and an ABS sensor) I decided not to even contemplate the saloon version as a replacement.  Failing throttle actuators I felt was a bit of a mickey take and poor design from BMW to be using second rate components.  So, after lots of reading decided the ISF was the way forward.  

So far very pleased and I have no regrets...looking forward to not shelling out on unnecessary repairs touch wood! If anything, the ISF seems a little dated in terms of interior design but it reminds me very much of the Honda S2000 I owned in terms of the dated design and engine that erupted once you went past a certain RPM.  

One little query  - can the Lexus Enform software be updated to be a little more current? Can I display album art embedded in my MP3's? My M3 was 2010 and yet the software seems more current and enabled me to display album art etc.  Not a major issue, but the mp3 playing from a usb is seriously slow and old fashioned.  

Thanks a lot  

Welcome to the club, good to see someone else joining the crew

No updates unfortunately  .That's's a negative im afraid.

I don't think there's any update that will give you what you need. Vaistech and Grom offer plug in units to upgrade oem and there is also a double din option from Beat-Sonic which will give you totally upto date apple carplay/Android Auto which I have just installed. 

DSC_0096.thumb.JPG.3bd34e40b99e2d094ea4f7166cbc57e2.JPG

Congratulations on the purchase, enjoy the car!

Mark.

You need to accept that IS-F is 2005 design, your being 2013 (last year of the model) doesn't change it. I have previously owned 2010 BMW and can confidently say iDrive is much more user-friendly and modern system than the one you would find in any Lexus. Newer Lexus'es has improved in terms of technology, but user interface is just awful - test driver 2016 RC300h and honestly infotainment is so confusing and lacking common sense that I would keep it off. Simple mobile phone car run circles around maps and overall control just doesn't make much sense. For me Lexus is luxury cars, with superior build quality and proven reliability, but definitely future proven infotainment system. Speakers and sound is good, but I pretty much use aux-in and forgetting about it, don't want to touch that mess on screen - or as it is now on some kind of funky touchpad.

Welcome fantastic and wise choice too!

As for information system my advice would be buy an ipod classic, I did the same thing when I got mine despite really disliking apple and itunes but coupled up to the Lexus information system it works very well for my large music collection

• Like 1

That is funny, because I am a big hater of apple, but same as you got 160gb iPod classic (that was £30 I believe) - all I would ever need for music, nothing wrong with my phone but if I need navigation the phone is best for that work, sadly I am unlikely to find better navigation in any car anytime soon.

• Like 1

I don't mind the sat nav myself, but tried a few ways to get my music collection integrated into the Lexus but they were all slow and clumsy. The ipod classic is easy to navigate through the head unit and quick. It hurts me to recommend apple but I think Lexus developed the head unit to work with apple

That is what they did indeed. And not only Lexus, sometimes people at the helm of the company doesn't think out of the box. Navigation is fine if you going from London to Edinburgh or Frankfurt (Inter city/country journeys) for example, but driving in the city it is awful, slow, has not live updates, no alternative routes auto suggested, no accident reported and so on... which all are standard on even free apps (waze for example or even google maps). And again... that is not only Lexus. I believe only 2 makes which fare better are Tesla and McLaren ... that is because they use google maps as a basis. I guess it is as well partially covered with apple car and android drive integration, but then you still need you smartphone to power the system up, so why not just use it?!

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

That is what they did indeed. And not only Lexus, sometimes people at the helm of the company doesn't think out of the box. Navigation is fine if you going from London to Edinburgh or Frankfurt (Inter city/country journeys) for example, but driving in the city it is awful, slow, has not live updates, no alternative routes auto suggested, no accident reported and so on... which all are standard on even free apps (waze for example or even google maps). 

I rarely use sat nav but my 2010 one has previously told me there is an accident ahead and suggested alternative routes?

Just now, dougie175 said:

I rarely use sat nav but my 2010 one has previously told me there is an accident ahead and suggested alternative routes?

Yes I guess that is what they called "professional or premium" sat nav on 2010+ models. Still that might work intra city, try it in London and you will realise ... there is no street without accident and as such not really good alternative routes - just one big mess. And in this mess any car build in satnav gets confused and sends you on stupid route. For example in RC300h I tried built in one against my phone and as I was returning car on weekday morning I though it would be good challenge to compare what root they would suggest. I knew were Lexus dealership is and how to get there ~20 min drive, but waze found faster route ~15 min, Lexus built in one sent me completely opposite direction and straight into the middle of traffic jam. I have not tried following Lexus route, but it given me ~55 minutes drive. To be honest haven even tried waze, simply used the route I know and it was ~15 anyway. Furthermore, to start navigation on phone and find where I want to go takes literally few seconds - to do same on satnav is like few minutes and even then it not always recognises post codes etc.

• Like 2

I have had notifications of hold ups and alternative route suggestions on my ISF, it is not just the post 2010 models, I had it on a 2007 RX350 which notified of heavy traffic and alternative routes while in Spain.

I would advise not to mix up IS and RX, the systems can differ from model to model. I am not sure about IS-F, but I believe it should be consistent with top-end of IS line-up options. Current example - RX is fitted with 360 camera, whilst other models does not have this option. As well I believe "semi-live" traffic updates were option on GS 2005 onward, but that is not the same system (or option) as one fitted in IS.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

What requires more bravery - ignoring Lexus suggestion if it states that world-end is ahead or following it?

Anyway..... How does the ISF performance compare to the M3?

Ice driven an M3 but never owned one.

18 hours ago, dougie175 said:

Welcome fantastic and wise choice too!

As for information system my advice would be buy an ipod classic, I did the same thing when I got mine despite really disliking apple and itunes but coupled up to the Lexus information system it works very well for my large music collection

18 hours ago, Linas.P said:

That is funny, because I am a big hater of apple, but same as you got 160gb iPod classic (that was £30 I believe) - all I would ever need for music, nothing wrong with my phone but if I need navigation the phone is best for that work, sadly I am unlikely to find better navigation in any car anytime soon.

Hehe, me too!  I am not a fan of apple by any means, but I also have an Ipod in my armrest for playing music through.  At the moment I am weighing up whether I am going to keep the car for much longer, but if I do, then I will probably invest in an Ipod Integration Kit.

Oh, and if you don't want to use iTunes for your Ipod, MediaMonkey works just as well without taking over your music library.

As for traffic, you guys are correct that the TMC works for traffic announcements and auto updates of the sat nav route.

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I would advise not to mix up IS and RX, the systems can differ from model to model. I am not sure about IS-F, but I believe it should be consistent with top-end of IS line-up options. Current example - RX is fitted with 360 camera, whilst other models does not have this option. As well I believe "semi-live" traffic updates were option on GS 2005 onward, but that is not the same system (or option) as one fitted in IS.

I am not mixing up the models, what I am saying is that both models offer traffic info and alternative routes across a 6 year span.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club. 

There are quite a few of us who have had similar experiences with the German manufactured cars and you have definately made the right choice re reliability. I cant think of a single alternative that will be as reliable with this kind of performance.  I did my research from about 2010 onwards and they really are bomb proof for a car of this type.  However if it does go wrong it will be just as expensive as its German counterparts. A few of us have the Lexus warranty just in case, because at £900 for 2 years, which includes top end breakdown cover (including europe), its seems pretty good value. You can even add your partner so they are covered and pay it in interest free installments as well - Blimey I sound like I'm on commition!! :wink3:.

I've had my car since 2014 and it hasn't missed a beat. I think you will find thats not unusual.

They are great cars so hopefully worry free fun times a head - enjoy!!

• Like 1

Hi and welcome. 

Coincidentally I met a new M3 at the lights today. I wasn't trying to race but I was in a rush and the other driver seemed to take it as an invitation...

From 0-60 it was neck and neck, completely even! Then traffic got in the way and he turned off. I'm pretty impressed with the old girl keeping up with a £60k car (I'm just going to assume the other guy was trying 😁).

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Rusty Crobar said:

Hi and welcome. 

Coincidentally I met a new M3 at the lights today. I wasn't trying to race but I was in a rush and the other driver seemed to take it as an invitation...

From 0-60 it was neck and neck, completely even! Then traffic got in the way and he turned off. I'm pretty impressed with the old girl keeping up with a £60k car (I'm just going to assume the other guy was trying 😁).

The new M3/M4 is seriously quick!

19 hours ago, emjay82 said:

I've had notifications on my 56' IS250 and 2008 ISF, but only a brave man would change his route following advice from a Lexus navigation. 

Yep mine advised of traffic ahead and a different route that would have me scratching the car on farm roads lol

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links