Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RC-F GT3 in International GT Open

gdh300

First off, mods I'm sorry for so many new posts; I'll stick to one for each series from now on.

Anyway, for a number of pathetic reasons, I have completely forgotten the International GT Open series this year.  Suffice to say, I've missed both of the two-race meetings so far - Estoril and Spa-Francorchamps - the first of which marked the RC-F's debut in a European international series (if you know what I mean). When I watched GT Open last year, it was a pretty small grid lacking variety but it was a nice surprise to see that in 2017 it is much improved. The grid will be 28 cars this weekend; no match for the Blancpain GT Endurance series, but pretty healthy none the less. And with the notable exception of the Audi R8s, most of the current GT3 cars are present. The field is immeasurably improved of course (!) by the presence of the 2017 débutante RC-Fs, one each for Farnbacher Racing and Emil Frey Racing, two very experienced teams. 

If like me you need to catch-up on the season so far, you can watch full coverage at the GT Open YouTube channel. But if you only watch one, watch Race 2 from Spa; anyone who has watched racing from that magnificent track will know how the Ardennes weather can enliven a race in the blink of an eye. I'll steer clear of letting slip any spoliers! 

If you can't wait to find how the Lexus did, the official site is here.

So to this weekend and the series has its third race of the year at Paul Ricard. Now, I'm assuming they will be using the same circuit layout as the Blancpain series have used in the past it should suit the strengths of the Lexus, as it has the similar front engined Bentley and Nissans before. If that's not the old Murray Walker curse, I don't know what is! Live streaming should be on the YouTube channel.

Good luck, Lexus!

• 4 weeks later...

It's Round 4 of the International GT Open season this weekend at the Hungaroring. As usual, there will be two races, one today and one tomorrow. Live coverage is available on their YouTube channel at:

Saturday 01/07/17 15:00, Race 1

Sunday 02/07/17 13:00 Race 2

After a stunning start to the season, it was back down to earth with a bump at Paul Ricard for both the RC-Fs. Current free practice times (available on the GT Open home page) suggest it might be another tough weekend for Lexus, but you just never know, even if it is notoriously difficult to pass at the Hungaroring.

Also this weekend of course it is The Goodwood Festival Of Speed, with their live stream here. I'm sure there'll be at least the LC500 in the supercar run up the hill.

• 3 months later...

It's the final round of the 2018 International GT Open series this weekend at Barcelona, Spain/Independent Republic of Catalonia. News and live timing is available on the official website while you can stream live qualifying and both races (one of each today, one of each tomorrow) through their YouTube channel

Emil Frey Racing - one of the two teams running the new GT3 specification RC-Fs -  are in with a decent shout for overall honours. Qualifying for race one has just finished with a strong showing by both Lexus teams, securing P1 and P4 on the grid for this afternoon's 70 minute race, due to start 1500 UK time. Pole by a scant 21/1000ths from the two Imperiale Racing Lamborghinis but I have a feeling the Lexus is kinder to its tyres and its driver over a race stint.   

Forza Lexus! (if that's not an unforgivable mixing of motoring cultures)