Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As much as i love to hit the air con i do from time to time open a window, well mainly cus i am down to 2 silencers on the exhaust now and it sounds nice, so anyhoo i noticed a noise the other day

when i accelerate more briskly than usual i get a noise, best described the same as a brake disc squeak, now i thought it was a brake but tapping the pedal doesn't stop it, nor wiggling the steering left to right, so seems to do it when i accelerate, i am now starting to think water pump or belt tensioner, something like that? 

thoughts people

i will check the belt, the noise is brief, i would of expected a longer noise if the belt was slipping, but yes heavy acceleration would be where i hear it, so will report back tomorrow when i try that

• 2 months later...

Just to update 

Changed the aux belt but altho it looked tired it didn't solve the problem. Ran it a while longer and decided on a new cam belt and pump. I should get it back monday. The belt was due a change anyway so see if it sorts it...

2 hours ago, 4x4steve said:

Just to update 

Changed the aux belt but altho it looked tired it didn't solve the problem. Ran it a while longer and decided on a new cam belt and pump. I should get it back monday. The belt was due a change anyway so see if it sorts it...

At least you know the aux belt won't let you down!

4 minutes ago, Malc said:

cambelt could be 100k miles and/or 10 years  !

Malc

some one i met (who bought my old wheels) said the same, 

it was changed in the 90's so ready for sure

when it comes off it might look like " new "

as an aside ...............when i bought my 1994 Mk2 in 2007 it had covered just 8542 miles and the cambelt  had been Lexus changed at 10 years and 3104 miles !

by the time it was written off in 2011 it had covered just 42k miles ( I think )

Malc

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, messi said:

It could be idler pulley 

Or the serpentine belt tensioner. I've had both of these changed on both the Soarers I've had and my LS400 as they both get squeaky/chirpy.

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, 4x4steve said:

so an update, i still have the chirp, only think left to change will be the tensioner pully bearings

cam belt now done, and i am happier about it, it was well overdue, 

Keep us posted, it's always good to hear the outcome.

6 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Keep us posted, it's always good to hear the outcome.

oddly it doesn't seem as bad as before, but i think that's just me, but yeh if i ever get to the bottom of it i shall deffo share

5 minutes ago, 4x4steve said:

oddly it doesn't seem as bad as before, but i think that's just me, but yeh if i ever get to the bottom of it i shall deffo share

Frustrating though eh? It would nice if one of the suggestions posted had hit the spot.

4 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Frustrating though eh? It would nice if one of the suggestions posted had hit the spot.

they are all valid suggestions, just not this time, i dont worry, i will sniff it out in time

On 8/12/2017 at 10:21 AM, 4x4steve said:

Ran it a while longer and decided on a new cam belt and pump. I should get it back monday. The belt was due a change anyway so see if it sorts it...

I used this eBay seller belowand got the tensioners, pump & belt changed last May & its fine, maybe to late for you now though, see link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-LEXUS-LS400-4-0-1989-1997-NEW-TIMING-CAM-BELT-TENSIONER-KIT-WATER-PUMP-/292018196924?epid=538857675&hash=item43fda411bc:g:e28AAOSwNnRYlGhN

well bugger me i have just found out what it is, i just popped upto the shop and drove back with the rear windows

down for no reason, well i was listening to the noise, cus windows open is when i can hear it, and  thinking grrrrr

so while parking the noise starts, the first time ever not moving and i realise its just something on the exhaust rubbing or resonating somehow,  so i have 50 percent found it, bloody weird noise tho to sound more like chirping/dragging brake squeak kinda deal