Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New tyres - change make?

My NX will need a couple of new tyres in the next few months, as they are down to 2-3mm. At the moment they are fitted with Yokohama Bluearth E51A 225/60R18's

Is it best to stick to those, or try something different?

I do hear Bridgstone H/P Sport are good for SUV's. The tyre label being B B 71 rather than the E C 71 on the Yokohama's. 

If I do change, I understand that mixing makes is not a problem as long as they are on the same axel. Is that correct?

While it makes sense to stick to the same make, and type on one axle the law only states that the tyres be the same size, and construction. Meaning you cannot use crossply, and radial on the same axle.

It does not prohibit different makes on the same axle as long as the sizes are the same. The law also allows for different sizes to be used as long as speed is restricted ie using a skinny spare wheel.

John.

3 hours ago, Goggy said:

My NX will need a couple of new tyres in the next few months, as they are down to 2-3mm. At the moment they are fitted with Yokohama Bluearth E51A 225/60R18's

Is it best to stick to those, or try something different?

I do hear Bridgstone H/P Sport are good for SUV's. The tyre label being B B 71 rather than the E C 71 on the Yokohama's. 

If I do change, I understand that mixing makes is not a problem as long as they are on the same axel. Is that correct?

Try something different I say.

The Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV look good with CBA 68db

You can also get Michelin Latitude Tour HP in that size which are M+S tyres and currently what I have fitted. Extremely quiet tyres, eerily so and many members have them on the RX so I can only assume they'd be great on the NX too

And I'll stick my 2p worth in too :wink3:

Avons are very good - here's the text from a previous posting I made in these forums back in November:

I've just put 4 Avon ZX7s (235/55 R18 100V) on my RX300 and ordered them from http://www.tyreshopper.co.uk for £386 then used a Tyreshopper discount code to get 5% off, making it £366 and also got 3.15% cashback by going through http://www.topcashback.co.uk making the final, fully-fitted price £354. They were fitted at a local branch of National Tyres who, if I had bought the tyres directly from them, would have charged £421.

I'm VERY impressed with the tyres. They're 'A' rated for wet conditions and they certainly deserve it as the car is so sure-footed now, in both wet and dry conditions - I can highly recommend them.

• Like 1

At the time we both bought ours I think UK NXs were supplied with either your Yokohamas, or Bridgestone Dueler H/L 33 tyres (which I have). My fronts are coming up on replacement, and I'd wondered about trying the Yokohamas, as I find the Bridgestones a little noisy. The Bridgestone website now shows Dueler H/P Sports for the NX instead of the H/L33s, perhaps because the latter have been discontinued. Will be interested to know what you go with, and whether you notice any difference.

I wouldn't go with different tyre types on the same axle. It's not illegal as has been said but it does make for a strange driving experience especially in low grip conditions. I wouldn't do it myself

27 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I wouldn't go with different tyre types on the same axle. It's not illegal as has been said but it does make for a strange driving experience especially in low grip conditions. I wouldn't do it myself

I tend to agree, it may be legal but I would be a little wary of doing that. Either both or none. 

4 hours ago, Martin J said:

At the time we both bought ours I think UK NXs were supplied with either your Yokohamas, or Bridgestone Dueler H/L 33 tyres (which I have). My fronts are coming up on replacement, and I'd wondered about trying the Yokohamas, as I find the Bridgestones a little noisy. The Bridgestone website now shows Dueler H/P Sports for the NX instead of the H/L33s, perhaps because the latter have been discontinued. Will be interested to know what you go with, and whether you notice any difference.

Still undecided, but they are okay for a few months yet, so I will take my time and research it a bit more before my final decision. When I do make the change I will let you know. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty much in to knowing my tyres.  I have always reviewed them and gone for the best in my budget.

Here's the think, tyres are important and on a car like the NX that weighs about 2 tonnes, you want to be able to stop well.

In the winter I put on a set of Hankook icept evo2's.  Mid range but had very good reviews at the time (Tyrereviews and Black Circles).

Summers, I use Michelin Lattitude Sport 3's.

I ditched the Yokohamas as they were rubbish and had poor wear.  I don't like the reviews of the Bridgestones so did my homework and decided on what I felt I was happy with.

I also like the Nokian z-line for summers but couldn't get them.

Vredestein also do good summer and winters.

There is a wide choice. From the research I have done and what has been said here I think the following are all going to be good buys:

Avon ZX7, C, A ,69, £108 - best for cost. Good grip, quiet.

Micheline Latitude Sport 3, C, A, 70, £130 - best for grip, quite quiet.

Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV, C, B, 68, £126 - quietest.

Michelin Latitude Tour HP, C, C, 71, £130- average all rounder.

Bridgstone H/P Sport, B, B, 71, £130 - best for petrol. 

So, still thinking about it. 

Avon ZX7 - Ordered these in March - they arrived squashed.  Tyre fitter returned to base and said not only was the entire stock damaged but Avon's stock were damaged too.

I had Goodyear Efficient Grip on my old car and they were pretty good, not the best but in the top 5.  Couldn't complain but not as good as Michelins.

I've now got Michelin Lattitude Sport 3 on the car and I was a bit wary but they are excellent in both wet and dry.  Low noise and on motorways in my 200t I get about 37mpg.  They also have a better review than the Lattitude Sport and the Tour HP.

Also be aware that tyres wear quicker on an SUV than a car and the Michelins are longer lasting.  My Yokohamas were down to 2.5mm after 8000 miles on the front.

5 hours ago, Goggy said:

There is a wide choice. From the research I have done and what has been said here I think the following are all going to be good buys:

Avon ZX7, C, A ,69, £108 - best for cost. Good grip, quiet.

Micheline Latitude Sport 3, C, A, 70, £130 - best for grip, quite quiet.

Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV, C, B, 68, £126 - quietest.

Michelin Latitude Tour HP, C, C, 71, £130- average all rounder.

Bridgstone H/P Sport, B, B, 71, £130 - best for petrol. 

So, still thinking about it. 

Michelin latitude hp figures are wrong. It should be 69dB if you get the correct ones

I've got them on my RX and they've been perfect. Eerily quiet as well.

The grip levels are good too - nothing makes me think they are worse than the dunlops they replaced in terms of grip.

Good bit of rim protection on them as well

Had the goodyear efficient grip performance on sons car, again no issues and quiet.

The Michelins on my RX are on 4mm after 20k miles. I would say it'd get me to 30k if I wasn't trading the car in. Will inevitably last even longer on the NX

Remember that the latitude tour HP is an all season tyre - it has the M+S mark and I can safely say it's great in snow as well as in summer

S o how important is it to use 'all season' tyres? Most of the tyres on sale are listed as summer tyres. I suppose in the UK most summer tyres would be fine for all year with our mild winters, unless we had a real bad winter with lot's of snow and ice. I do not want both summer and winter tyres, I have never had them in the past and do not want to go down that route. My current Yokohama BluEarth's are summer only. 

All seasons are better in the winter than summers.  Even in mild winters when the temperature goes below 7 degrees, the rubber in summer tires goes stiff and stopping is longer. When I drive in the winter, its not just me stopping that I am worried about but also other people with summer tires that could slam in to me if they can't stop. My advice and this is just my humble opinion is; if you don't want to swap summers and winters the go for all seasons as you will notice a difference in the winter.  Personally my preference to all seasons is Michelin Lattitude tour HP or Goodyear Vectors. 

30 minutes ago, Goggy said:

S o how important is it to use 'all season' tyres? Most of the tyres on sale are listed as summer tyres. I suppose in the UK most summer tyres would be fine for all year with our mild winters, unless we had a real bad winter with lot's of snow and ice. I do not want both summer and winter tyres, I have never had them in the past and do not want to go down that route. My current Yokohama BluEarth's are summer only. 

Well I can only speak from my experience - 

With the dunlop SP Sport 270 tyres which were originally on the RX from factory, they needed warming up in winter - anything under 10 degrees and they would spin for the first few miles on junctions. 

The Michelins don't do that and feel grippier in summer as well - possibly because they have softer compound so can be used all year around. 

I would say all season's are better for our climate than summers as the average temperature in the UK is 11.1 degrees celsius. Summers come into their own around 20+ degrees and we don't get that often enough.

The Dunlops were changed at 26k miles. They were on 2mm. I still have 4mm left and done 20k in the RX so I would get roughly the same mileage out of the Michelins so no difference in wear but definitely better in terms of outright grip and quietness. They certainly feel more planted in snow as well.

Having Michelins (Lattitude Sport 3)  on at the moment and I have no complaints.  They are slightly more durable/longer lasting that if you went mid range but probably 3k - 4k miles.

I was hesitant to buy them as they were expensive but ride comfort and noise is good.  I had my winters on until March and temps were around 12 degrees and at 70 mph the car bounced all over the place.  After putting the summers on then made a huge difference.  No more motorway bouncing.

• 1 month later...

Re OEM tyres: had an NX loaner just recently on Yokohama BluEarths, so a chance to drive back-to-back with mine (Bridgestone Dueler H/L). I couldn't detect any significant difference in road noise or handling.

I had Yokohama BluEarths on the car when I took delivery.  (I swear it had Bridgestone Duellers on it when I tested the car).

Anyway I wasn't happy with the handling and the reviews were not that great so put Michelin Latitude Sport 3 on it and I am really happy with them so far.  I had tried to get some Nokian Z lines but no one had any.

• 4 years later...

Can I just bump this thread !

I have the factory fit Yokohama BluEarths with 3mm left so wondering what the consensus is on replacement tyres on the NX300 ?

I notice on Blackcircles, the BluEarths are rated D for fuel efficiency , C for grip in the wet and B for noise .  The highest rated alternative is from Hankook which tbh I've never driven. 

Got Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV tyres on mine. They are superb. Brilliant in summer, great in the wet, quiet and plenty of grip in all conditions. The car’s secondary ride - how it deals with surface imperfections - has also been transformed.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 4:02 PM, sorcerer said:

And I'll stick my 2p worth in too :wink3:

Avons are very good - here's the text from a previous posting I made in these forums back in November:

I've just put 4 Avon ZX7s (235/55 R18 100V) on my RX300 and ordered them from http://www.tyreshopper.co.uk for £386 then used a Tyreshopper discount code to get 5% off, making it £366 and also got 3.15% cashback by going through http://www.topcashback.co.uk making the final, fully-fitted price £354. They were fitted at a local branch of National Tyres who, if I had bought the tyres directly from them, would have charged £421.

I'm VERY impressed with the tyres. They're 'A' rated for wet conditions and they certainly deserve it as the car is so sure-footed now, in both wet and dry conditions - I can highly recommend them.

^^ I’ve been using these for a few months now on my NX and they’ve impressed me too @sorcerer

Based on my experience my Sister fitted them to her Honda CR-V and is similarly impressed. Asda Tyres had them at less than £100 per tyre then, fully fitted.

• Like 1

Lots of good tyres out there if you go for the premium brands and shop around for the best prices for the same product.  Some tyres are quieter than others, give a better or worse grip in the wet or dry, are less or more fuel-efficient, wear more quickly and noisily, etc., etc., and all of them lend themselves to debate and opinion.  Personally, I’ve never been able to figure out to what extent any opinion I have come to about one premium brand compared to another is objective or subjective or worth passing on to other drivers.

Michelin Crossclimate all day long!

Had them on my previous NX, and on my RX before that, and I can't wait for my current Yokohama Bluearth to wear down so I can replace them with the latest Crossclimate.

They are excellent in the wet and in the snow, and so much quieter than the Yokohamas.