Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Older IS200 under £1500

I will only do about 5k a year and wanted something stylish and reliable to drive..hence I am looking at the IS200

I dont mind about manual or auto but I guess the issue is around model year. In my budget I have seen quite a few models from 1999 to 2004 and mileages from 90 to 130k.

Should I avoid any particular model year or is history/condition more important than age. 

cheers

definitely good history, service book stamps. at the age they are now the cam belt should have been changed once or even twice. check for corrosion at rear of sills. Lexus quality means everything like windows/roof/electric seats should still be working.

Seconding what the others have said, but I'd add as few previous owners as possible. If it has had ten keepers, walk away! At the age and mileage you are looking at, I think you'd be wise to budget for some big service items (belt, radiator, calipers, may be exhaust); your £1500 capital cost could very soon become £2000. I'd also cheekily suggest at only 5k pa, you look at IS300 as well (I'm prejudiced, I know) although the very few listed on Autotrader are being hawked at ridiculous prices. Perhasp you should make me an offer I can't refuse... :wink3:

Thanks for that

so

1999, 2.0S,   110k, fsh, one owner , PRIVATE £1300

1999, 2.0SE,   76k ,12 months MOT, owners ?,  TRADE £1500

2002, 2.0SE, 110K, 12 months MOT, owners ?,  TRADE £1300

2004, 2.0SE, 156k, 12 months MOT, 2 owners, TRADE £1500

2004, 2.0SE,   95K, 12 months MOT, owners ?,  TRADE £1500

2005, 2.0SE, 140K,   9 months MOT, FSH, owners ?, PRIVATE  £1800

As for the IS300...are you selling ?

I'd definitely go for one of the private sales, subject to chatting to the owner.  The first one, despite being older, is the most appealing to me.  I'd go along and suss the owner, I'm a people person.

Personally, I'd avoid an automatic (unless it's an IS300). The gearbox isn't the best and it really kills the performance and fuel economy. Whereas, the 6-speed manual has a nice action and is really enjoyable to use.

Corrosion of the sills in front of the rear wheel is THE one thing to look for IMO. It's a common issue and even if only minor bubbling is visible, it's already too late. There will inevitably be hidden damage behind that will lead to MOT failure unless it's sorted.

If it was my money I'd try and get as late an example as possible. A nice and clean early car still looks great every time I see one, but I feel the 04-05 plate cars have a smarter, more youthful appearance due to their 11-spoke wheels and darker headlights etc.

Good hunting. :smile:

Well I've done some more hunting and typically looking for a later 2003+ manual model reduces my search UK wide to about 3 cars ! One in liverpool seems ok..spoken to the owner but before him it was a smokers car and I have asthma so that is most likely a no-no...  ah well have to keep looking

try and stick to a 1-2 owners if you can even though they might be rare or above your budget. but saying that back in 2012 the IS300 TTE I purchased if i can recall had 3 previous owners with just over 110k on the clock but that didnt not deter me after i saw the car in the metal did all my checks and took it for a drive. when it comes to second hand cars the least previus owners the car has, the better. FSH is a must but saying that the service booklet can be forged easily with false stamps if cambelt has been done will be good to get it verified by the garage if in doubt do it again. i did it again on both my prevois IS300 and GS430 including plugs. but i will say to stay safe from potential issues always buy 1 -2 owner cars second hand.

ohh also consider Honda Accord CL9 of that same era of the IS i currently own the 2.4 Executive and driving dynamics are just like my IS300  hoot to drive with 6 speed box and also have double wishbone suspensions on all corners just like the IS's:yes:

stretch another £300 and you can have this sport version. same owner since 2007 and 50miles from Cheshire

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706036079778?radius=200&sort=price-desc&keywords=OWNER&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&price-to=2000&transmission=Manual&postcode=wa145qh&model=IS 200&make=LEXUS&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=1000&page=1

yes i have the 5 speed auto in excutive which has the nav 6 cd changer and  bulit in dvd player the type S had the nice body kit but looses the leather nav and few toys which translates to being lighter and inherits A Spec sports suspensions. i have liked thier looks for ages and decided to get one..test drive both the IS and these Accords and you wont go wrong with either both well put together cars

Thanks for that..I'm guess that the Accord 2.4 is quite a lot bigger than the IS200 ?

What about the obvious..rust, maintenance, high milers etc.. can anyone compare the two ?

There is a 2.0 version of the Accords as well with performance similar to the IS200 and better mpg figures being a 4 cylinder.. the 2.4 is still better on fuel than IS200.

never heard of rusts on Lexus cars but saying that, would depend mainly on where the previous owner lived in UK as cars near the coast will tend to show signs of rusts compared to ones that dont. below is a link to the one  i picked up as you can see, no rusts for a 14 year old