Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Traffic light Grand Prix.

Don't mix-up excessive speed and excessive acceleration together...

There is no law or rule how quick you should get to the speed limit as long as you don't brake other laws as previously discussed. Just pointing again that if you drive fast but sensibly it should not be an issue, it is not very sensible to demonstrate how swiftly you can get to speed limit when police car is next to you (kind of obvious..). 

Now, you probably know that "without due care" is another way of saying "careless driving". Careless driving itself needs to be proven in court "beyond reasonable doubt". I suggest to try to prove something beyond reasonable doubt in court before saying it is realistic to be done for excessive acceleration (I have tried in straight forward case and failed). Examples of careless driving are:

• Excessive speed
  • Carrying out tasks while driving
  • Causing injury
  • Causing damage to other vehicles or property
  • Drink/drug driving

Few more, but most likely all associated with collision e.g. if you speeding by 20MPH you will simply get PCN +3 point, if you doing so on 20MPH road near school during school hours you are likely to go to court "careless driving", similarly if you cause accident whilst speeding.

One way or another they police will never stop you for excessive acceleration (there is simply no such a thing). Technically they will stop you for excessive speed or rather wrong perception of your speed. The typical answer they would get from performance car drivers is exactly that "I was not speeding, I was just swiftly accelerating". Possible outcomes:

1. They have radar with evidence you were excessively speeding and based on other circumstances it can range from simple fine to maybe careless driving.
  2. They have no evidence and they will create laws as they go along to scare you (I am not against it, just saying...)

Now again I completely agree that you can be stopped for it and "brain washed" about careful driving e.g. what if aliens would crash in front of you and due to "excessive" acceleration you were unable to stop (we all know how creative police officers gets when exaggerating the damage you could have caused IF), but that is about it - "good night, safe drive home!".

Having spoken to many a police officer in general chat, it's all down to their interpretation. A little spirited acceleration upto the speed limit, unlikely to pull you over IMO, however, two cars clearly racing which goes into excessive speed, you're getting pulled. The greater your competitive spirit towards other drivers....... the more chance you will enter the 'duel'  and greater chance of getting pulled. 

• Like 4

best one I've had was a Bentley something or another. Road i think we both knew well national speed limit and lots of roundabouts quite close together.  Clean line of sight to ensure its not (that) dangerous.  Both cars were fast. Both sounded great and we enjoyed ourselves and said 'nice one' at the end.

i do sometimes drop a couple of cogs and floor it when I'm being tailgated as that annoys me.

mainly though i like and early morning quite rural road with no one about where you can get into a rhythm at legal speeds whilst still pushing on.

• Like 4

Had a nice drive in the breacon beacons today. I followed a mountune fiesta st for a bit and was suprised how easy it was to keep up with him.

On the way back an audi a3 was behind and was welded to my rear bumper all the way. It was mostly heavy traffic and we didn't get above 60mph but I was quite impressed, especially when I saw the tdi badge when he drove off 😳. Hope it was tuned!

2017-07-29 17.53.45.jpg

2017-07-29 17.59.55.jpg

• Like 5

Surprised I didn't see you around today as I've been on the brecon beacons most of the day. I parked up at the story arms on the A470 before heading off up to pen y fan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

Surprised I didn't see you around today as I've been on the brecon beacons most of the day. I parked up at the story arms on the A470 before heading off up to pen y fan. 

Suprised you didn't hear me more like! 😁

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rebecca said:

Rusty you fraud, you were never there. Becky has exposed you!

😜

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Thought I’d dig up this old thread.

after having a little play with an M140i, noticed a big blue Range Rover sitting up behind me.

after a small blast up a quiet dual carraigeway, found that it was the Range Rover SVR, damn that can lift its skirt and get a move on. Noise was ear piercing but it certainly flew 😁

• Like 2

There’s a bloke (hooligan) I see near me with an SVR Range Rover. He can’t drive it for toffee! Huge noise and devastating performance in a straight line but around any sort of corner it seems to understeer, with a lot of tyre squealing. I’d imagine you have to keep at least some throttle down, otherwise all the 4WD/stability/ESP gubbins doesn’t have anything to work with. 

• Like 1

I scared the life out of a guy in one of those new Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio's on an A road near me. He was hanging off my rear bumper through traffic and I think he thought he was in a fast car until the traffic moved aside and he witnessed 50-100 from the RCF two or three times...we stopped at some traffic lights about 5 minutes later and with a big smile on his face, he opened the window and said 'f**k that things fast! what is it?'...it amazes me more people don't know about these F cars...and most of them would consider themselves petrolheads?!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

...and most of them would consider themselves petrolheads?!

You should have told him the truth... I mean we all know there are no limits for Vauxhall Calibra customisation 

Look even found one in Sun Flare colour!

Related image

P.S. I am obviously joking (right?).

• Like 2