Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving Boredom

2 hours ago, lockeyboy said:

Have you sold the RX already?

Well it's being part exchanged in 2 weeks time so technically yes. Just waiting for the other car to be prepped, number plate transfer etc (apparently DVLA have changed this since I bought my wife's car in 2015) so ill have to drive off with its normal plates and wait for the V5 to come through 

• Like 2

Ah! It is a new car then! I feel like Inspector Clouseau!

"Prepped" that is code for PDI! Two weeks to wait for a second-hand car? Definitely NEW! A new 450H? Yes my money is on that! Unless of course we are given more information!

11 hours ago, noby76 said:

you are right but i don't think you got my point.. I am not talking about racing the cars at illegal speeds.. cars like the Toyata MR2,Celica's . S2000 and compact sport Saloons/Coupe do not have as much sound insulation and not as heavy so e.g. even when taking a corner/rounbabout at a permitted 50 mph it sounds and goes about it in a fun way than an LS400 taking the same corner at the same 50mph...

To be fair to you Noby, I have never been interested in sports type cars, so the thrill of driving one would be lost on me. I understand what you mean, you are saying that the driving experience is totally different. It is horses for courses, I find it hard to understand why someone, who wants excitement, would buy the NX. Personally I would love to be bored by such a car.

A sports Alfa Romeo would give double the thrill - 1) The driving experience   2) The excitement of wondering when it will go wrong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rayaans said:

Well it's being part exchanged in 2 weeks time so technically yes. Just waiting for the other car to be prepped, number plate transfer etc (apparently DVLA have changed this since I bought my wife's car in 2015) so ill have to drive off with its normal plates and wait for the V5 to come through 

When I bought my NX the dealership did all the cherished number plate transfer.  I bought my vehicle and seven days later picked it up with my own number on it. I did not have to drive it with the normal plates.  Its all done on line now so lots easier.  I have had the vehicle for just over a month now so the new dvla rules where in force then.  So cannot understand why you need to do this rayaans. A fortnight is plenty long enough.

OK...

I seem to recall from previous posts that...

- Rayaan stated that he found that the RX - his current RX - could be a bit of a pain size wise on country roads and villages where he practices. I also seem to recall that, on that basis and also because he no longer needs the larger boot, he ruled the new RX out as a future purchase

- He is a die-hard fan of the Lexus brand, so I can't imagine him moving away from it

- I do not think than running costs are a major factor, but enjoyment is

- Based on the above I think it is a fair assumption that his new purchase will not be a NX300h

- However, bearing in mind that this all started on the NX forum... could it be... a NX200t?...

hmmm... although I cannot imagine that such downsizing would be a hard sell on Mrs Rayaan... the hard sale is more likely to be a heart, rather than head driven purchase. The Rayaan family already has a family car in the IS, so... maybe... a second hand IS-F?

I think a brand new one sprung on Mrs Rayaan could potentially result in a swift divorce, but a second hand one might be more easily digested. Incidentally, second hand cars also go through a prep stage that can take a week, especially is minor faults (scratches, scuffed wheels, etc are required, the car needs to be taxed, etc.)

Or a GS-F... but I don't "feel" it.

Still. It will be white. It will have dark rose seats.

:yes:

7 hours ago, Eggie said:

When I bought my NX the dealership did all the cherished number plate transfer.  I bought my vehicle and seven days later picked it up with my own number on it. I did not have to drive it with the normal plates.  Its all done on line now so lots easier.  I have had the vehicle for just over a month now so the new dvla rules where in force then.  So cannot understand why you need to do this rayaans. A fortnight is plenty long enough.

Its not a new car - I can tell you that, hence the process takes longer. Otherwise it would have just switched over straight away. 

1 hour ago, DanD said:

OK...

- Rayaan stated that he found that the RX - his current RX - could be a bit of a pain size wise on country roads and villages where he practices. I also seem to recall that, on that basis and also because he no longer needs the larger boot, he ruled the new RX out as a future purchase

- He is a die-hard fan of the Lexus brand, so I can't imagine him moving away from it

- Based on the above I think it is a fair assumption that his new purchase will not be a NX300h

- However, bearing in mind that this all started on the NX forum... could it be... a NX200t?...

hmmm... although I cannot imagine that such downsizing would be a hard sell on Mrs Rayaan... the hard sale is more likely to be a heart, rather than head driven purchase. The Rayaan family already has a family car in the IS, so... maybe... a second hand IS-F?

I think a brand new one sprung on Mrs Rayaan could potentially result in a swift divorce, but a second hand one might be more easily digested. Incidentally, second hand cars also go through a prep stage that can take a week, especially is minor faults (scratches, scuffed wheels, etc are required, the car needs to be taxed, etc.)

Someone's been doing their homework! :ph34r:

1 hour ago, DanD said:

OK...

Brilliant deduction Holmes!

I wondered who would spot that!

Second-hand! I knew it! I was teasing about new, because in one of your posts you said you would not buy another new car! 

That solves one puzzle but creates others ............ Does anyone know if Rayaan's has any dogs?

Do you have any dogs? Pets ...... not duff cars!

ISF ..... no not his style me thinks .... wasted in the Yorkshire Dales anyway. 

Need more information .................. two weeks to interrogate him!

I have missed my vocation!

Re it being a second hand car not new re private plate. Mine was a demo model so already pre registered. Still they did it the change over of reg over 7days. Obviously my lexus dealer in Bolton are on the ball.

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Second-hand! I knew it! I was teasing about new, because in one of your posts you said you would not buy another new car! 

That solves one puzzle but creates others ............ Does anyone know if Rayaan's has any dogs?

Do you have any dogs? Pets ...... not duff cars!

ISF ..... no not his style me thinks .... wasted in the Yorkshire Dales anyway. 

Need more information .................. two weeks to interrogate him!

I have missed my vocation!

Nope, no pets!

9 minutes ago, Eggie said:

Re it being a second hand car not new re private plate. Mine was a demo model so already pre registered. Still they did it the change over of reg over 7days. Obviously my lexus dealer in Bolton are on the ball.

Doesn't work like that anymore - the owner has to receive the V5 before putting the plate on - it can't be transferred from one to another 

I believe the dealers used to do this via V317 form but it was updated earlier this year and requires V5 and MOT certificates to be sent off - obviously not do-able when buying a car from miles away.

Having just been thrashing a manual hatchback around rural Italy, and finding it surprisingly good fun, I sort of understand what Paul meant in his initial post.  A couple of thoughts: (i) it's UK motorway driving that's tedious in almost any car after the initial novelty of a new car wears off; (ii) while the NX300h is no rocketship, am I alone in finding it quite good to punt across country on bendy A and B roads? I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of roll and linear steering feel. Driving from southern Wales to Yorkshire across country rather than taking the M5/M6, for example, is no hardship if time isn't a factor.  I recall that Car magazine's long-term test of the NX was unexpectedly complimentary about the handling.

PS in a parallel universe, Rayaan is very happy with his new NX450h :wink3:

16 minutes ago, noby76 said:

i would - but it only has 4 seats! 

I have 3 kids to cater for! I should mention that when I test drove the NX, it certainly felt more agile and "fun to drive" than the RX does - but thats probably because the RX is a better cruising machine IMO.

If they did stick the 450h into the NX, I still wouldn't go for one after the test drive - reason being, I found it quite small. Its similiar size to my RX but has a different layout in terms of the interior - it feels more confined and everything feels closed in which is the same as the IS. After being used to my RX which is quite open in terms of interior feel - I just didn't gel with it. I prefer it more so in the IS as the handling and sporty feeling is there however.

Gets note NX is ready for collection on Tuesday.

Reads this post.

Crosses fingers...

(Tbh I am accepting the compromise that it won't be as "good to drive" as my IS. What's more, my wife wanted me to go for an NX, so, y'know...)

I'm not talking about going fast for driving enjoyment. It's really about wanting a more linear relationship between throttle and forward motion. Also I don't want the car to decide whether it gives me some Battery power as well as petrol power. I want the same level of performance every time I press the accelerator. The difference between a Battery charge depleted NX and one with a charged Battery is quite significant. I also like to be able to hold an auto gearbox in a gear on a twisty road, especially one with gradient. The manual mode in an NX hybrid is nothing more than an illusion and you still get the same rising and falling of revs with the slightest of throttle. I just find the car completely boring to drive. On a motorway I find it difficult to accelerate out into the outside lane without using masses of throttle and then as a result of this unnaturally high rpm. Too much of a delay between pedal travel and forward motion in most give an take situations too. Things improve a little in sport mode but never enough to make me enjoy driving the car. Off to Goodwood Festival of Speed tomorrow and I plan to have a good look around a 3 series saloon and touring. Then off to look at a 328i Touring for sale, on Saturday. Hoping this will give me a good blend of performance, economy and fun. Just have to check out the refinement. If all ok, I'll then be looking for the right car.

22 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I'm not talking about going fast for driving enjoyment. It's really about wanting a more linear relationship between throttle and forward motion. Also I don't want the car to decide whether it gives me some battery power as well as petrol power. I want the same level of performance every time I press the accelerator. The difference between a battery charge depleted NX and one with a charged battery is quite significant. I also like to be able to hold an auto gearbox in a gear on a twisty road, especially one with gradient. The manual mode in an NX hybrid is nothing more than an illusion and you still get the same rising and falling of revs with the slightest of throttle. I just find the car completely boring to drive. On a motorway I find it difficult to accelerate out into the outside lane without using masses of throttle and then as a result of this unnaturally high rpm. Too much of a delay between pedal travel and forward motion in most give an take situations too. Things improve a little in sport mode but never enough to make me enjoy driving the car. Off to Goodwood Festival of Speed tomorrow and I plan to have a good look around a 3 series saloon and touring. Then off to look at a 328i Touring for sale, on Saturday. Hoping this will give me a good blend of performance, economy and fun. Just have to check out the refinement. If all ok, I'll then be looking for the right car.

If you get a BMW - will you post on here how you find it? Particularly reliability - this may take a few months but it would be interesting to compare you thoughts on both cars overall after a little time.

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

I'm not talking about going fast for driving enjoyment. It's really about wanting a more linear relationship between throttle and forward motion. Also I don't want the car to decide whether it gives me some battery power as well as petrol power. I want the same level of performance every time I press the accelerator. The difference between a battery charge depleted NX and one with a charged battery is quite significant. I also like to be able to hold an auto gearbox in a gear on a twisty road, especially one with gradient. The manual mode in an NX hybrid is nothing more than an illusion and you still get the same rising and falling of revs with the slightest of throttle. I just find the car completely boring to drive. On a motorway I find it difficult to accelerate out into the outside lane without using masses of throttle and then as a result of this unnaturally high rpm. Too much of a delay between pedal travel and forward motion in most give an take situations too. Things improve a little in sport mode but never enough to make me enjoy driving the car. Off to Goodwood Festival of Speed tomorrow and I plan to have a good look around a 3 series saloon and touring. Then off to look at a 328i Touring for sale, on Saturday. Hoping this will give me a good blend of performance, economy and fun. Just have to check out the refinement. If all ok, I'll then be looking for the right car.

Id go for the 335i instead. The 328i is a right boring engine. Refinement isn't great on the 3 series tbh. A VW golf is genuinely better in refinement and ride quality and tbh it's the badge that people go for when getting the 3 series.

Step up to the 5er atleast. 

7 hours ago, talaipwros said:

Hi spacewagon. what would you like to discuss about BMW reliability etc?

If you end up buying the BMW - can you keep us all informed of its reliability and how it compares with Lexus regarding build quality/refinement/driving pleasure? You may not wish to keep on the Lexus forum and go to a BMW site, understandable.

11 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

If you end up buying the BMW - can you keep us all informed of its reliability and how it compares with Lexus regarding build quality/refinement/driving pleasure? You may not wish to keep on the Lexus forum and go to a BMW site, understandable.

well, i have the CT for one year now - for the wife -  and had a 730d from March 2015 till last month. Before that had a lexus GS250 and an IS250 I am waiting the 740d xdrive msport early September, immediately when 67plate kicks in. All vehicles bought brand new

the GS building quality was superior. Was also smoother cruiser at speeds up to 80mph aBMWnd much quieter ( tyre noise in the bimmer was much louder)

BMW was obviously much much faster ( and that is why I do not really believe that IS250 0-60 is in the low 7's as the 730d is around 6.5 and felt like a rocket in comparison) and was holding the road better in fast turns, higher speeds etc ( had the adaptive sport suspension)

BMW reliability not bad but a few hickups. To start with, some annoying noises very early when driving on uneven ground. GS was completely silent . That been said, CT does squeak as well, so a bit disappointed there

BMW spec much better. the infotainement though once a month would go suddenly off for about a minute. No satnav, nothing. Then it would start over again on its one. HUD stopped on a couple of occasions ( bizzarly after I put diesel on a specific gas station , after stop visiting this, never had a problem with HUD. weird stuff)

Brand image, much to my surprise BMW was is way ahead. Nobody could care less about the GS, had people at work asking me about the 7 series

real life MPG BMW was about 39, mostly motorway. The GS was about 29

hope that helps

edit: and the BMW speedometer is much more accurate than Lexus. Real 30mph is 31 in BMW and 33-34 in Lexus

• Like 1