Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving Boredom

Now that the new ownership honeymoon period is over, I'm finding my NX an extremely boring drive. I had the same with a previous IS300h. Drove my wife's Mini Cooper 1.5t to work the other day and it was so much more fun over the 96 mile round trip and I got 53mpg. Not comparable cars I know. My NX is refined, luxurious and comfortable but fun it ain't. Have to see how it goes over the next few months but I can see me having to change. My wife won't be impressed if I do change. Still want the luxury and comfort but I need my car to be a bit more enjoyable than this. Should probably never have sold my XF and moved back to an IS200t and then an NX. The IS although nice had too harsh a ride and the steering is devoid of any feel of what the front tyres are doing on the road. Hopefully this is just a 4 month itch! 😀

My wife and one of the daughters have the Mini Cooper with the 1.5 3 cylinder turbo engine and its an absolute cracker... the whole set up is, chassis, performance,flashing dashboard etc :winkiss:

However they still love my Lex...different beasts entirely. 

Hate Mini's not for the driving experience but the harshness of the ride and poor seats. Not surprised its fun when its got rock hard suspension.

The Golf R however, is VERY fun without being downright harsh.

Only had my RX for 3 months or so, 4 month itch to come maybe ?  When I collected it, I called Mrs Ledzep on the way home and she asked about it...."Like driving an armchair" I said !  I'm still enjoying that experience.

My daughter has a Fiesta Mountune ST, it's like a rocket and a seat of the pants drive.....great fun but couldn't live with it for my daily drive.

Leaving South Wales tomorrow for a trip up north.  Chester, Kendal, Glasgow, Stirling, Edinburgh, York, Leamington Spa then home.  Rather be in my armchair than the ST !

• Like 1

Ideally we should all have two cars, one for relaxation and one for fun. I wouldn't have a mini though, my daughter has one and although she loves it I find the ride very hard indeed. But as Rayaans says a Golf R, now you're talking. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goggy said:

Ideally we should all have two cars, one for relaxation and one for fun. I wouldn't have a mini though, my daughter has one and although she loves it I find the ride very hard indeed. But as Rayaans says a Golf R, now you're talking. :)

The other ideal would be car 1: Lexus  Car 2: Lexus  Car 3: Banger - you would then really appreciate cars 1 and 2!

What would I have? Well, possibly another XF. With one of these it's possible to have refinement, luxury and comfort with plenty of driving enjoyment. I don't want to go back to a small sports saloon, I've had my fill of IS saloons now. I don't want an out and out sports car with crashy suspension and a harsh noisy ride, I want something comfortable, quiet, refined and nice to own but something that, when the mood takes me, is fun to drive. I'm afraid I get zero fun from driving my NX.

Shortlist is:-

Jaguar XF 3.0 s/c Portfolio

Golf R Estate (I need a bit more space than the hatchback would give me)

Range Rover Evoque 2.0i

Jaguar XE 3.0 s/c S

And, if my heart rules my head, a Jaguar XFR

I'd consider an NX200t but I know from owning an IS200t that the engine isn't really that nice. It doesn't rev too well, it's not particularly economical which is a disappointment given it doesn't rev and perform that well. Sounds a bit crap too, at least in the IS. I will try an NX200t when I get chance to though. Has to be an auto though for the ease of everyday driving

4 hours ago, paulrnx said:

What would I have? Well, possibly another XF. With one of these it's possible to have refinement, luxury and comfort with plenty of driving enjoyment. I don't want to go back to a small sports saloon, I've had my fill of IS saloons now. I don't want an out and out sports car with crashy suspension and a harsh noisy ride, I want something comfortable, quiet, refined and nice to own but something that, when the mood takes me, is fun to drive. I'm afraid I get zero fun from driving my NX.

Shortlist is:-

Jaguar XF 3.0 s/c Portfolio

Golf R Estate (I need a bit more space than the hatchback would give me)

Range Rover Evoque 2.0i

Jaguar XE 3.0 s/c S

And, if my heart rules my head, a Jaguar XFR

I'd consider an NX200t but I know from owning an IS200t that the engine isn't really that nice. It doesn't rev too well, it's not particularly economical which is a disappointment given it doesn't rev and perform that well. Sounds a bit crap too, at least in the IS. I will try an NX200t when I get chance to though. Has to be an auto though for the ease of everyday driving

I'd add the GS-F to that list as they can be had for decent money now. 

Personally I wasn't a fan of the XE due to its ******* interior quality - the Golf R is better built with better quality interior. 

RR Evoque? Loads of owners have been trading these in for an NX so not sure how that would go. It's also tiny.

The GS450H is worth considering - it's got rear wheel steer and goes like stink. It's pretty addictive.

BMW 340i GC? S4 Avant? S5 Sportback? 

If I wanted something fast with space, it'd have to be an RS6 although it does come with a certain image. A compromise may be an S6 avant 

Been thinking about an S4 or an S6, MIght well try a GS450h again. They can be had for reasonable money. Tried a few ISF but the ride is harsh and unforgiving. Bit noisy too. I need something that is comfortable most of the time but will give me a bit of fun when the mood takes me. The trouble with fast Audis is that they have zero ride comfort, at least to my backside anway. I don't think an Evoque is the answer, I like the look of them and the name and they leave me feeling slightly underwhelmed whenever I've driven on. Agree re the XE interior but they do drive very nicely. I can see myself back in a previous model XF, very few cars have such a nice blend of comfort, pace and driving feel. I'm doing a pretty long commute each day on national speed limit open A roads and a bit of dualtrack and the NX just leaves me stone cold in terms of enjoying the drive. Shame

If I wanted (and could afford) a car that was exciting to drive, and comfortable, it would be a Nissan GTR.  I drove one around the Dunsfold circuit a couple of years ago, the only car that has ever made me shout out WOW! 0-60 in 3.5 seconds with launch control engaged!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Been thinking about an S4 or an S6, MIght well try a GS450h again. They can be had for reasonable money. Tried a few ISF but the ride is harsh and unforgiving. Bit noisy too. I need something that is comfortable most of the time but will give me a bit of fun when the mood takes me. The trouble with fast Audis is that they have zero ride comfort, at least to my backside anway. I don't think an Evoque is the answer, I like the look of them and the name and they leave me feeling slightly underwhelmed whenever I've driven on. Agree re the XE interior but they do drive very nicely. I can see myself back in a previous model XF, very few cars have such a nice blend of comfort, pace and driving feel. I'm doing a pretty long commute each day on national speed limit open A roads and a bit of dualtrack and the NX just leaves me stone cold in terms of enjoying the drive. Shame

go for a 3 year old 535D

13 hours ago, talaipwros said:

go for a 3 year old 535D

Its a bloody diesel though - can't have fun in a diesel no matter what it is. May as well go the full length and get the 535i. 

How about try something new - Alfa Giulia anyone?

Looks good I'll give you that, but I have had my share of problems over the years with Italian cars and swore never to buy one ever again. All were electrics related and I never had any support from dealers. This included 3 Fiats (Uno Turbo and 2 Tipo) a Maserati Biturbo, which I did not keep very long because it was riddled with electrical problems and a first generation Lancia Thema 8.32 which I kept for an even shorter time. This was a wonderful and understated car, but again, very unreliable.

I too would consider a GS450h, but in F-Sport guise for the 4 wheel steering. The plan was to replace our RX with an NX because we no longer need the space and the new RX is rather big, but I am not so sure now as I am concerned that I will miss the oomph of the RX. It would have to be the latest GS for me though... I find the previous version too... bland.

3 hours ago, DanD said:

Looks good I'll give you that, but I have had my share of problems over the years with Italian cars and swore never to buy one ever again. All were electrics related and I never had any support from dealers. This included 3 Fiats (Uno Turbo and 2 Tipo) a Maserati Biturbo, which I did not keep very long because it was riddled with electrical problems and a first generation Lancia Thema 8.32 which I kept for an even shorter time. This was a wonderful and understated car, but again, very unreliable.

I too would consider a GS450h, but in F-Sport guise for the 4 wheel steering. The plan was to replace our RX with an NX because we no longer need the space and the new RX is rather big, but I am not so sure now as I am concerned that I will miss the oomph of the RX. It would have to be the latest GS for me though... I find the previous version too... bland.

I've been toying with the idea of changing my car for a few weeks now. Seen as though it's my 50th this year I thought I'd treat myself to 6 month premature birthday present.

I drove the NX just to make sure as I was going to wait until facelift is available but I was underwhelmed. Was impressed with the Giulia Quadrifoglio but it wasn't big enough for our family of 5.

Don't really like estates but RS6 tempted me but decided the image associated with one wasn't for me in the end.

Anyway the RX is being traded in in 2 weeks when I collect the other vehicle.

I haven't told my wife either.... oops!

So prey tell... what is "the other vehicle"?

5 in a car is always going to be a problem for the poor sod who is left using the middle rear seat. Even in the RX it is not a pleasant experience over long journeys.

14 minutes ago, DanD said:

So prey tell... what is "the other vehicle"?

5 in a car is always going to be a problem for the poor sod who is left using the middle rear seat. Even in the RX it is not a pleasant experience over long journeys.

All in due time my friend....

...but Ive not gone very far.

2 hours ago, Bodmeister said:

Lexus GS-F. 😀

52 minutes ago, DanD said:

My bet is a RX450h F-Sport in white with dark rose seats. :yes:

All good suggestions but "I can neither confirm nor deny any details" :yahoo: