Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Turkey turned classic

The ISF (and especially king turkey the RCF - according to the uneducated) have received far from raving reviews from the British motoring press.

With this upcoming magazine article reviewing the ISF, I was wondering what cars in the past originally received unfavourable reviews and then went on to be classics?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flytvr said:

The ISF (and especially king turkey the RCF - according to the uneducated) have received far from raving reviews from the British motoring press.

With this upcoming magazine article reviewing the ISF, I was wondering what cars in the past originally received unfavourable reviews and then went on to be classics?

The motoring press have always been rubbish, but they are getting worse imo.

Firstly, they don't care about reliability, running costs, depreciation, after all, it doesn't affect them.

Secondly, they are badge obsessed, more than ever.

Thirdly, they use the track too much, and test drive like it was stolen, which most people don't, particularly these days, when you are never far from a camera.

As a fan of Jap metal, for many years, this has suited me down to the ground.

I've bought some belting Japanese cars, particularly at auction, because the average punter knew nothing about them, having been brainwashed by the likes of Clarkson and co, in to thinking German was the only option.

On topic, turkey to classic, Jag XJS, panned when they came out, unsellable not that long ago, particularly 12 cyl, now fetching decent money, apparently.

• Like 6

@mikeyv I agree with you on this, I must confess to have allowed myself to be LED down the 'German Garden Path' for more years than I care now to remember, that's not to say that I did not enjoy some mighty fine cars from Porsche BMW and the like but I should have been more opened minded at times and allowed some 'Eastern Delights, into the garage.

One must always bear in mind as well when it comes to motoring journalists is just who is paying them to say the things they do about different manufacturers and cars, many of these people lie for a living as well as it being part of there craft to manufacture things in an entertainment way they are not the least bit interested in balance, though I accept there will be the odd exception.

Its up to us to go into the buying of any vehicle with eyes wide open and not put to much stock on what these people say.

Big Rat

• Like 6

I don't think IS-F was ever really criticised.. just didn't really got the recognition it really deserved. It was not as good on the track as BMW M3, but even then most of experts said it is more luxurious and better daily... kind of best of both worlds. RC-F is a different story ... and in a way, I see where all is coming from. It is still great car but Lexus could have done even better. They effectively taken 6 years to release coupe version of IS-F without any major improvements. Car looks great, but both in terms of power and equipment is just half-hearted attempt. It is kind of what I call "poor student syndrome" where tutors raise the grades for less capable students because of their "effort", but gives worse grade for exactly same work for more capable students just because they "could have done better". If Hyundai would release car like RC-F they would be praised by every single expert, but because Lexus has basically been sitting on their hands for 6 years everyone been criticising otherwise good car... 

• Like 4