Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi folks

Is it a good idea to get one of these engine code scanners for use in the event that the engine light comes on. I have not had this happen yet but am a bit concerned about it happening. I have a 2007 IS250 auto which has done about 50k miles and zero mechanical knowledge.

All advice and comments gratefully received

For the price of them, I'd say get one. I've a basic Autel one for about six or seven years and it's help identify a code on my IS and my previous car. Admittedly all I get is the code so some internet research is required, but still a lot cheaper than taking it near a main dealer. It also of course it means I can turn the EML off. But then if you have "zero mechanical knowledge", I guess you won't want to get the spanners out! In which case, you'll likely be taking to a mechanic who'll have to diagnose it anyway, so perhaps there's no advantage. I must admit I keep mine in the car so that should the EML come on while I'm away for work at least I get an idea if I should carry on driving or park it for recovery.

Another benefit is I know some people connect them to cars they are thinking of buying to see if there are any stored codes. Never doen that myself; I image most traders would clear them anyway...

• Like 1

If you just want a cheap stand alone reader (no laptop required), I have one of these and it works great. Gives the description of the code too. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Fault-Code-Reader-OBD2-EOBD-CAN-BUS-Scanner-diagnostic-tool-D900-/182389825332?hash=item2a7747df34:g:ewcAAOSw-3FZCYzL

Dodgy subject! Don't have a need for one but if anyone finds a great working copy of the TechStream software and working cable please let us know as it would be handy to have one.

On 2017-6-13 at 11:35 PM, TigerFish said:

If you just want a cheap stand alone reader (no laptop required), I have one of these and it works great. Gives the description of the code too. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Fault-Code-Reader-OBD2-EOBD-CAN-BUS-Scanner-diagnostic-tool-D900-/182389825332?hash=item2a7747df34:g:ewcAAOSw-3FZCYzL

Same one as mine, works a treat!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-17 at 10:10 PM, dougie175 said:

Dodgy subject! Don't have a need for one but if anyone finds a great working copy of the TechStream software and working cable please let us know as it would be handy to have one.

Update:

My Mini VCI cable arrived today (the same one Shahpor linked in post # 6 above). After one false start the <ahem> software and USB serial port drivers appear to have installed correctly, i.e. it runs and can see the VCI cable. Car is tucked away in it's garage 100 yards away, so tomorrow luchtime at work we'll see if i can have a little chat with Mr IS250! (my car doesn't have a name, yet!)

Regards,

Andrew

P.S. Arqum, did you get yours yet?

• Like 1

Brief update:

Might be a slight delay, didn't have time today as I found out early this morning that we have to go to a funeral at the weekend, in Bangkok! Spent spare time today organising flights, leave and tidying up loose ends at work.... Maybe tomorrow lunchtime.

Regards, Andrew

Got mine today. Latest version too. Just waiting for the rain to stop chucking it down to test. Installed on my w10 machine with now issues.

50 minutes ago, Arqum said:

Got mine today. Latest version too. Just waiting for the rain to stop chucking it down to test. Installed on my w10 machine with now issues.

That's good to know that I wouldn't need to dig the old xp/7 laptop out the loft!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response guys, building work at home is keeping my busy. Had a spare 10min to try the software I have and it works perfect. Using it on my surface pro running Windows 10. No issues with connecting to the car, reads all the ECUs and even Let's me customise various setting to when I want the doors to lock etc.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Arqum said:

Sorry for the late response guys, building work at home is keeping my busy. Had a spare 10min to try the software I have and it works perfect. Using it on my surface pro running Windows 10. No issues with connecting to the car, reads all the ECUs and even Let's me customise various setting to when I want the doors to lock etc.

Great work for how cheap they are might buy 1 just to have a play and see what settings I could change on my car!

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/07/2017 at 8:53 PM, Arqum said:

Hi Arqum,

My initial optimism appears to have been dashed! Installed the program, drivers and registry hack, Techstream now has 'X Horse - MVCI available' as VIM.

But after 'Initialising USB connection' I get 'Unable to connect to VIM'.

So I'm not sure if my Mini VCI dongle is not working or if my installation is not working?

Currently trying it on a Windows 10 64 Bit Laptop, also tried it on an older Windows 7 64 Bit Laptop.

Does anyone have a working copy of the 'X Horse Firmwware Update Tool'? Most online sources refer to using it to verify that the dongle is working and not to update the firmware.

Anyone within striking distance of Oxford/Reading that I can meet up with and do some swap tests with? @Arqum ? @Shahpor ?

Andrew

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, C Andrew Green said:

Hi Arqum,

My initial optimism appears to have been dashed! Installed the program, drivers and registry hack, Techstream now has 'X Horse - MVCI available' as VIM.

But after 'Initialising USB connection' I get 'Unable to connect to VIM'.

So I'm not sure if my Mini VCI dongle is not working or if my installation is not working?

Currently trying it on a Windows 10 64 Bit Laptop, also tried it on an older Windows 7 64 Bit Laptop.

Does anyone have a working copy of the 'X Horse Firmwware Update Tool'? Most online sources refer to using it to verify that the dongle is working and not to update the firmware.

Anyone within striking distance of Oxford/Reading that I can meet up with and do some swap tests with? @Arqum ? @Shahpor ?

Andrew

I've just been through this whole process. 

Yeah, the problem is the X Horse cable doesn't initally work with 64-bit. I reverted back to digging out an old Vista 32-bit laptop and it worked fine. 

I am tempted to try to install on Win 10 using these instructions but haven't got to it yet.

http://obd365.blogrip.com/2016/10/21/install-toyota-techstream-10-20-030-on-win10x-64bit/

Hope it helps!