Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smart card key fob for 2007 IS250

Hi,

Has anyone acquired a used 'Credit Card' style buttonless Smart Key and  succesfully reprogrammed it to their IS250? (Although that should probably read "programmed their IS250 to the key")

There's one on eBay at the moment, not cheap @ £90, but the form factor is appealing and as I only have one standard smart key fob anyway....

It's a 'Denso' make, model number 14AEC (see pic) the same make as my existing one although that's a model number 14AAC.

Any

eBay Card Key Fob Back.jpg

eBay Card Key Fob Front.jpg

5 hours ago, Texas said:

See here 

Dealer could not program an 'Un-paired' secondhand key.

paul m

I've got an (allegedly) erased/unpaired second hand standard smart key fob on the way, so we'll see......

I saw the post about the lack of success, but the key I've got coming was a bargain (<£50) so I thought I'd take a chance.....

My main reason for this post was to see if anyone had any experience of the card style key fob.....

Really tempted to get one of these Techstream dongly things (bootleg copies I assume) and have a stab at programming it myself.... They're cheap enough.

Regards,

Andrew

20 hours ago, VrmmVrmm said:

How are they programmed?...thankfully I don't need one but I find this topic of interest...you never know!

My understanding is that you plug a Techstream (Lexus dealer OBD) reader/programmer in to the OBD port and there's a function to add and remove keys (and I hope immobiliser NFC chips).

I have read of some strange manual programming method involving various combinations of window switches, door locks and start button pressing.... but hmmm.

Lexus dealer in Oxford will only program new keys that they supply (at a price) Boo! Sevice department at Lexus Reading reckons their parts department will program a spare key but i've been unsuccesful in getting them to answer the phone.

I've emailed a couple of auto locksmiths to see if they can do it, if all else fails I might have to get a dongle as my previous post and see what happens.

Regards,

Andrew 

• Like 1

This really interests me I would love to get 1 of the credit card size keys sorted for my car it would be ideal as I hate carrying keys around with me I always put them in my rear pocket then have to remove them to sit down.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dougie175 said:

Any updates on getting a smart card to work?

Hi,

There's a two week hiatus! On the 26th I found out that I was going to my mother in laws funeral on 2nd July, in Bangkok! I'll be back on the 18th, I had just got the Software installed and it recognises the mini VCI dongle, but hadn't had a chance to try talking to my IS yet. Depending on how I get on with programming the spare standard key I've bought will define whether I should take a punt on a possibly unresellable card type key.

Andrew

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Gramera flash said:

Just to compare, I bought a genuine Lexus replacement from main dealer, £280 for key £50 for programming to car, ouch £330

The programming is a relative bargain! Finally got through to Lexus Reading, they want £84 ! to program my key, and they didn't sound that confident 'ummm, don't know if we've ever done that.....' so bought an eBay Mini VCI dongle. The auto locksmiths in Aylesbury got back to me but like Lexus Oxford wil only program keys they supply.

Andrew

2 hours ago, C Andrew Green said:

Hi,

There's a two week hiatus! On the 26th I found out that I was going to my mother in laws funeral on 2nd July, in Bangkok! I'll be back on the 18th, I had just got the Software installed and it recognises the mini VCI dongle, but hadn't had a chance to try talking to my IS yet. Depending on how I get on with programming the spare standard key I've bought will define whether I should take a punt on a possibly unresellable card type key.

Andrew

Band news on the funeral, but yeah keep us informed how you get on with the coding, I work with someone who was service manager at Toyota for 30 years so if you get stuck with the software stick a reply on here and I will ask him he may be able to help you. Fingers crossed there is a way to code the cards would be really nice to get 1 working

Actually, based on information I have found "card key" was only option on US IS250. Based on all other information there is you can only program "virgin key" to your car and Lexus only sells the parts for cars which are available in the region. So to get US spec new card key you would need to order it from US or prove to UK Lexus that you have US import (similar to what guy from did to get IS200t bumper in Spain). Then you still need to pay money to program it... Sound quite a lot of hassle.. 

Anyway good luck for you and please let us know how you getting on...

Agreed the only way this will work simply and soft effective is to find a way to re-code an already coded key, I believe this is possible as when replacing a key you re-program 1 of the original keys and the new key to the car so don't see why similar shouldn't be possible with a card its just knowing how to do it and taking the risk buying a second hand card from the US

I'm still holding out hope as I would really love a key card to keep my backside pocket free!

I believe Lexus quite deliberately, made that impossible as it would be significant security gap. I am sure there are way of doing it, but I see why Lexus not particularly keen on sharing the secrets... 

3 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I believe Lexus quite deliberately, made that impossible as it would be significant security gap. I am sure there are way of doing it, but I see why Lexus not particularly keen on sharing the secrets... 

If its anything like VW stuff at work we need to login securely with ODIS to do key coding and I assume Toyota/Lexus will be the same, despite us being Toyota approved having the genuine diagnostic is not a requirement however I believe it is coming very soon, but the Lexus part of the system will be locked out to us anyway. 

I would be very surprised if this is possible with the cracked versions of Techstream but you never know!

To be honest this Denso system is used since ~2004-5 and so far I have never heard anyone succesfully re-programming used keys. Programming new keys that is non-issue, obviously dealers does it and I am sure any Toyota/Lexus authorised service can do it, I even have some hope that cracked Techstream can do it. But re-programming used key is different beast all together... if nobody have done it yet in 13 years I am starting to believe it might actually be impossible.

Yeah you are probably right if no one has ever done it theres usually a good reason, so dealerships claim second hand keys cant be re-programmed?

Ill have a chat with Paul at work and see if they ever reprogrammed second hand keys at Toyota or if it can only be done on New keys, sometimes dealerships will be saying new only to increase parts sales.

• Like 1

I completely agree that dealers are sometimes not bothered with used parts (that is to be honest always), but over many years I have heard all dealers and independent locksmiths stating same thing - these Denso keys cannot be re-programmed. Similar to Denso ECU's... obviously codes had been cracked for ECU's few years ago, but so far I have not heard anything about keys. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

To be honest this Denso system is used since ~2004-5 and so far I have never heard anyone succesfully re-programming used keys. Programming new keys that is non-issue, obviously dealers does it and I am sure any Toyota/Lexus authorised service can do it, I even have some hope that cracked Techstream can do it. But re-programming used key is different beast all together... if nobody have done it yet in 13 years I am starting to believe it might actually be impossible.

Well this actually pleases me (as potential owner of a IS250) the fact that gaining access to the remote unlocking/starting system is not that easy and even main dealers are reluctant or indeed unable to code second hand key cards. Yes may be a bit of an inconvenience if you want to add a device on the cheap but in the long run I guess it is for the better I.e. More security every owner out there.

Paul m.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 7/6/2017 at 6:29 AM, C Andrew Green said:

The programming is a relative bargain! Finally got through to Lexus Reading, they want £84 ! to program my key, and they didn't sound that confident 'ummm, don't know if we've ever done that.....' so bought an eBay Mini VCI dongle. The auto locksmiths in Aylesbury got back to me but like Lexus Oxford wil only program keys they supply.

Andrew

Hey Andrew, was wondering if you managed to program the key? 

1 hour ago, zoricib said:

Hey Andrew, was wondering if you managed to program the key? 

Hi @zoricib,

If you're asking about adding/programming a standard key fob, yes I did indeed achieve success, for some unaccountable reason I posted the results of my efforts here OBD Engine Scanners (towards the end of the 2 page thread).

If you're asking about the Smart Card key fobs, I decided that as I had the safety of two functioning standard keys I didn't need the hassle of buying a possibly un-resellable Card key.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Texas said:

Where else would you get a reply to a 3+ year old post! ( certainly not on a BMW forum 😂😂😂😂)

happy days 😃

Haha!, why wouldn't I? I was pretty pleased with myself having succeeded and @zoricib asked nicely! I must have thought I was at work (Oh yes, I am) where customers surface years after purchase and want spares or servicing for their Seismometers leading to much searching of archives and memories!

Andrew

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C Andrew Green said:

Haha!, why wouldn't I? I was pretty pleased with myself having succeeded and @zoricib asked nicely! I must have thought I was at work (Oh yes, I am) where customers surface years after purchase and want spares or servicing for their Seismometers leading to much searching of archives and memories!

Andrew

Thanks for the reply man! Really appreciated. Have 2 working keys but always up for tinkering about 😁