Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

If You Crash At The Nurburgring This Is What It Will Cost

If you damage a mere 5 meters of single height Armco and you could be on the hook for 150 Euro cost for men in a truck to come out to assess the damage, this is alongside the 31 Euro cost per meter to replace it if damaged. If your car is broken after a crash, the cost of recovery starts at 600 Euros minimum. Assuming you’ve crashed and the safety car is required to attend to you and or your stricken car, that will cost you 82 Euros for every 30 minutes it’s in attendance. The biggest cost of all though is incurred if the marshals decide that the track needs to be closed to recover your now very broken car and all of the bits that came off it when crashing, this will cost you from 1,350 Euros per hour for every hour the track is closed.

Here is a full list of the potential cost of damaging and or closing the Nurburgring:

Base fee for attendance of Armco truck – €150

Removing damaged Armco – €10/metre (x2 or x3 or x4 for multiple-height sections)

Replacement Armco – €31/metre (x2 or x3 for double/triple height)

Removing damaged armco posts – €5.10 each

Replacing armco post – €39 each

Safety car attendance – €82 per 30 mins (car and two people)

Circuit closure from – €1,350 per hour

Recovery truck from – €600 (inc VAT)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluesman said:

If you damage a mere 5 meters of single height Armco and you could be on the hook for 150 Euro cost for men in a truck to come out to assess the damage, this is alongside the 31 Euro cost per meter to replace it if damaged. If your car is broken after a crash, the cost of recovery starts at 600 Euros minimum. Assuming you’ve crashed and the safety car is required to attend to you and or your stricken car, that will cost you 82 Euros for every 30 minutes it’s in attendance. The biggest cost of all though is incurred if the marshals decide that the track needs to be closed to recover your now very broken car and all of the bits that came off it when crashing, this will cost you from 1,350 Euros per hour for every hour the track is closed.

Here is a full list of the potential cost of damaging and or closing the Nurburgring:

Base fee for attendance of Armco truck – €150

Removing damaged Armco – €10/metre (x2 or x3 or x4 for multiple-height sections)

Replacement Armco – €31/metre (x2 or x3 for double/triple height)

Removing damaged armco posts – €5.10 each

Replacing armco post – €39 each

Safety car attendance – €82 per 30 mins (car and two people)

Circuit closure from – €1,350 per hour

Recovery truck from – €600 (inc VAT)

Thanks to "Live To Drive"

Then add the fact that, even if you don't crash, but just mention on a forum that you have "tracked" your pride and joy, a lot of people will be put off buying it when it's time to sell.

On 6/13/2017 at 3:59 PM, mikeyv said:

Then add the fact that, even if you don't crash, but just mention on a forum that you have "tracked" your pride and joy, a lot of people will be put off buying it when it's time to sell.

Surely it depends on what car you are buying?  If someone was buying a 750i and it was tracked then surely this would apply.  If you are buying something that is meant to be pushed a little bit more than the M27 on a Sunday evening then you would be a little less bothered.

15 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Surely it depends on what car you are buying?  If someone was buying a 750i and it was tracked then surely this would apply.  If you are buying something that is meant to be pushed a little bit more than the M27 on a Sunday evening then you would be a little less bothered.

Not in my, admittedly limited, experience.

I used to be a member on a Honda Type-r forum, and the for sale threads often mentioned tracking, in a negative way.

Personally, I would look to avoid buying a car that's been ragged round a track, on a regular basis, but, as you prove, there are some who aren't bothered.

2 hours ago, mikeyv said:

Not in my, admittedly limited, experience.

I used to be a member on a Honda Type-r forum, and the for sale threads often mentioned tracking, in a negative way.

Personally, I would look to avoid buying a car that's been ragged round a track, on a regular basis, but, as you prove, there are some who aren't bothered.

Ah the old Honda Type R forum...  I miss those days (I had 2 x DC2, 1 x DC5 Integra Type R's and an S2000).  To be fair, that forum would stick it's nose up at people if they did so much as change tyres to anything other than what was on the car when it rolled out of the factory ;-)

I won't be putting the ISF for sale on here then....  as my profile pic is a bit of a giveaway.  Mind you...  I am never selling her :-)

Nurburgring again in September this year....  Best get my Euro's in order....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Malc said:

doesn't seem a very expensive add-on cost if you're doing that activity ...  it's only money :wink3:

Malc

Also need to add that 1 lap (in an ISF anyhow) uses 1/4 of a tank of fuel.  So factor in a tank per 4 laps plus the cost of 4 laps being in excess of 100 Euros....

All adds up....  but I still go every year as it's an amazing place.  Even if you didn't drive around and purely went for beer, banter and watch other cars.  There are worse ways to spend a weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

To be fair this isn't a subject that is going to trouble many Lexus hybrid owners! Unless starting or contributing to a "what mpg do you get on a full lap of the Ring" thread of course

On 13/06/2017 at 2:19 PM, NemesisUK said:

Then add the cost of repairing the car you neglected to insure properly, i.e. didn't inform your insurer you were taking it on track!

But the Nürburgring isn't a track - it's a "private toll road".

16 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Don't hybrids crash then?

My reply was bit tongue in cheek. Not sure that a Lexus hybrid car is an enthusiasts car and therefore not something likely to be thrashed around the Ring. We could have a Nurburgring real-life economy thread though :wink3:

• Like 1

I had a Renault 19 16v company car back in 1991 - 94 and in 1993 we planned a long driving holiday down through France, Germany and into Austria. Was planning to stop off at the Nurburgring for a lap or two on the way down. Unfortunately a week or so before the trip the gearbox started to sound a bit noisy - sounded like a bearing was on the way out. I took it to the dealership and they said it was ok for the time being but would need fixing in the future but couldn't be done before I went, I suspected the lease company had got involved and decided that it wasn't bad enough to repair at that time. Off we went and the noise got worse as we drove down through France and into Germany. Couldn't bring myself to thrash around the circuit because I was fearful of the call to the lease company confirming that the gearbox had finally failed and could they recover my car from turn 11 at the Nurburgring...

22 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

My reply was bit tongue in cheek. Not sure that a Lexus hybrid car is an enthusiasts car and therefore not something likely to be thrashed around the Ring. We could have a Nurburgring real-life economy thread though :wink3:

Surely an enthusiast would see it as a challenge? As an enthusiastic driver I take pleasure in driving anything to it's full potential :wink3:

I'd love to see Sabine take the RC300h round the 'Ring :whip:

Just how much slower would it be, compared to the RC-F   :wheelchair:  

8 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Surely an enthusiast would see it as a challenge? As an enthusiastic driver I take pleasure in driving anything to it's full potential :wink3:

I'd love to see Sabine take the RC300h round the 'Ring :whip:

Just how much slower would it be, compared to the RC-F   :wheelchair:  

Quite a bit I would think. The RC-F would carry more speed in the corners although perhaps not as much difference as you'd expect but there are some long long straights at the Ring and there would be a big difference in speed there for sure. Assuming same drivers in each

Good to see some fellow Type R owners moved over to Lexus, it is much more chilled and relax here.

Did you manage to find the special 'type r pen' in your car? :D

13 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Quite a bit I would think. The RC-F would carry more speed in the corners although perhaps not as much difference as you'd expect but there are some long long straights at the Ring and there would be a big difference in speed there for sure. Assuming same drivers in each

Well a hybrid holds the track record at the 'Ring. OK, not an RC300h, not even a Lexus :whistling:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Well a hybrid holds the track record at the 'Ring. OK, not an RC300h, not even a Lexus :whistling:

Now that is a hybrid I'd be very happy to drive on a daily basis and I'm sure I'd enjoy every single mile!!

• Like 1

Me and she who must be obeyed had a lap each round there quite a few years ago in my old Merc. 300TE. We'd got the shopping from Lidl/Aldi at Adenau in the back still. Not one egg got broken. Probably the slowest lap ever!. Fun though.

300 (2017_02_15 16_48_09 UTC).jpg

• Like 2

Well, Volvo raced estates in the BTCC so this is fine in my book. Lovely looking motor that John. From the days when Merc build quality was sky high too

• Like 1

On 14/07/2017 at 3:59 PM, thatfatbloke said:

Me and she who must be obeyed had a lap each round there quite a few years ago in my old Merc. 300TE. We'd got the shopping from Lidl/Aldi at Adenau in the back still. Not one egg got broken. Probably the slowest lap ever!. Fun though.

300 (2017_02_15 16_48_09 UTC).jpg

Great looking car. I had one but it had the small 2 litre engine and although it was very reliable it did need a bigger engine. I had it convcerted to LPG and I did 150K in it I bought it with 75K on the clock. I sold it to a friend and its past 300K now and still going strong on the same engine and auto gearbox. If I couldnt buy the Lexus I wanted I would have no problem getting another one of those but with the 3 litre engine.

• Like 1