Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre tale

McRattlehead

Isn`t it always the way yesterday i had my wheels refurbed but on removal of the tyre on one wheel they discovered the TPMS sensor was broken.It appears that it had previously been superglued where the valve stem meets the sensor,of course they dont stock replacements.As i am going on holiday tomorrow i agreed it was easier to replace with a standard valve.

On going out this morning i discovered a flat tyre,on a wheel with a TPMS so had the tyre replaced due to puncture,and off i go to get some holiday essentials.Upon returning to car the new tyre is flat :huh:.I return to tyre depot the air is leaking from the TPMS valve seal,it wont tighten any further so on goes another standard valve.

I am now considering replacing all 4 TPMS sensors i have found a set of T pro ones for £160,precoded,which my depot can fit for about £8 a wheel.

Anyone else had this sort of trouble?,any advice on replacement sensors ?

Hope any future excitement happens on holiday :holiday:.

4 minutes ago, stormchaser said:

I've got 4 normal valves on mine now. Sensors are a pain in the ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that throw up any errors?

Back from my short break drove about 800 miles around north tip of Scotland including part of route 500.Car performed well averaging 56 mpg,but my tyre warning was on permanently.Perhaps the fact i have 2 sensors still in situ,maybe if you have none no warning is triggered.

Surely the TPMS system expects all the tyres to be reporting pressures. So the fact that you have 2 wheels without sensors will throw the warning light.

Good to hear that your trip was otherwise faultless. The NW coast of Scotland is spectacular.

On 14/06/2017 at 9:55 PM, stormchaser said:

I thought it would of but it doesn't on mine. Had all 4 wheels refurbed a while ago and new valves fitted. Button under dash does nothing now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly my thoughts,i assumed it would miss the sensors myself.Unless,mad theory time,if the reset button is used with no sensors this would set the baseline to zero, of course you would then rely on your own senses and pressure gauge.

• Like 1

Although I agree TPMS is a pain. A car with the system disabled or missing would be an MOT failure after 2012 registration. It "could" also invalidate your insurance in case of an accident.

John

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Although I agree TPMS is a pain. A car with the system disabled or missing would be an MOT failure after 2012 registration. It "could" also invalidate your insurance in case of an accident.

John

I am pleased not have that system on any of my vehicles. I am also pleased to know about the system prior to purchasing a vehicle with it.

Unfortunately all cars registered from 2012 onwards are required to have TPMS.

The system as it stands is rather hit,and miss. You can have a puncture and the system will not report it for perhaps 3 or 4 miles. This is to save sensor Battery life the sensors only transmit the information at intervals during which time you can have a flat tyre. It works well first thing in the morning before you drive away, but does not give instant warning while you are driving. This makes for hidden danger of false information.

John

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

Unfortunately all cars registered from 2012 onwards are required to have TPMS.

The system as it stands is rather hit,and miss. You can have a puncture and the system will not report it for perhaps 3 or 4 miles. This is to save sensor battery life the sensors only transmit the information at intervals during which time you can have a flat tyre. It works well first thing in the morning before you drive away, but does not give instant warning while you are driving. This makes for hidden danger of false information.

John

No, if your vehicle is 2012 and fitted with it it has to work. All vehicles from November 2014 need to be fitted with it.

• Like 1