Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What is this switch for?

What is this switch for? It's down by the wing mirror switches. 

When you flick it, you can hear a sound like a little miniature Hoover from behind the dashboard, in the same area as the switch itself. 

Have a look and listen to the video. 

IMG_2483.MOV

Looks like an aftermarket thing and not part of the original. Does the car have front parking sensors? If so, I would have said that - but a little strange if it's making a noise!

I haven't looked at the manual!!!! Probably a good place to start. 

No, it doesn't have front sensors. It is only a quiet noise, but definitely activated by the switch. 

This is definitely aftermarket. I can hear the sound... sounds a bit like a fan... does it go on all the time the switch is on?

9 hours ago, Shaw RX said:

What is this switch for? It's down by the wing mirror switches. 

When you flick it, you can hear a sound like a little miniature Hoover from behind the dashboard, in the same area as the switch itself. 

Have a look and listen to the video. 

IMG_2483.MOV

vacuum-cleaner.jpg.3695130c6c677805f1fa501c6115d41e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Please excuse my english... I'm from Germany.

Do you have the "premium navigation system" with DVD playback?

Usually Lexus uses these swiches to enable "DVD playback while driving".

It cuts the speed signal and simulates the brake signal.

• 4 months later...

It's either an auxiliary heater or it's similar to the REST function in a merc where it continues to circulate the heat in the system for 15-30 mins after car stops.

For the REST function to operate it needs to work regardless of whether the ignition is on or not. Does it? An auxiliary heater wouldn't need that. 

Have a feel above/below the dash for vents that come on only if the switch is operated. 

I seem to remember somwhere that the radio/cd player got hot on some of the 400s. Some people fitted a small PC cooling fan near the unit to help with cooling. Coold it be that is what this is? It would tend to get noisy if the bearings where on the way out. Found this after a bit of looking not the one I was thinking of but close.

Bri

Edited by Brian26
More info

On 16/11/2017 at 10:23 AM, grantwils said:

It's either an auxiliary heater or it's similar to the REST function in a merc where it continues to circulate the heat in the system for 15-30 mins after car stops.

For the REST function to operate it needs to work regardless of whether the ignition is on or not. Does it? An auxiliary heater wouldn't need that. 

Have a feel above/below the dash for vents that come on only if the switch is operated. 

I’m gonna have a play around today. This sounds like the most logical explanation so far!!!

Although, it would be in connection with the ICE cooling too. 

Thanks for everyone’s input so far!!