Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cat Delete Question

Boddney

Hi, has anyone ever had the Cats removed on a GS? 

It's quite a common thing in the Toyota MR2 Mk2 world. I have a Mk1 so not an issue for my MR2.

I'm just asking really because there are loads of threads on here about Cat problems and costs to replace. I've had the EML on on my Mk2 GS for a while now with bank 2 Cat 2 working below efficiency code showing on the reader. I've put 2 bottles of Cataclean through it but it makes no difference, the light always comes back on after deletion. This also makes no difference to the car that I can tell. She just runs great all the time.

Anyway, Cat deletion or not?

Cheers,

Bod

Technically a CAT delete is an MoT fail, if the tester can be bothered to check .... 

It also renders the car in breach of it's type approval and (again, technically) invalidates insurance.

You could disconnect bank 2 sensor from the exhaust at the ecu, and connect bank 1 sensor into the ecu in it's place. This means the sensor on bank one where the cat is ok feeds both bank 1 and 2 ecu inputs. The light will then go out. This must be easier than cutting the exhaust, and trying to modify the programming.

John

Hi, I'm new to this forum but would just like to inform everyone that cataclean is a brilliant product. I have had great results from using it every 3-4 months in my GS. However I have been told by a highly recommended garage that if a mechanical part is broken. Or in the case of catalytic converter being 'clogged' or blocked too much there is no product on this earth as far as i'm aware that could unblock it. However I have seen with my own eyes cataclean fix cars with similar circumstances to yours including my own. Chances are in my opinion is your catalytic converter is damaged to the point of no repair, and you easily get a cat delete and have to find a 'Friendly Mot Tester' or you need a new Cat. I am sure if you were to buy a new cat then cataclean could be used as more of a maintenance product like it says you can use it every 3-4 months