Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2018 Lexus CT200h Revealed

rayaans

I think Lexus have been reasonably smart here.  They've put together a relatively inexpensive face-lift and drawn attention to the model just at a time when people are falling out of love with diesel.

If you only need a compact car, and want better mileage without the use of diesel fuel, options are fairly limited.  You have either the Prius, where the looks are too much for some people, Auris or CH-R, Kia Niro  or Hyundai Ioniq.

More prestige brands such are relatively expensive plug in hybrids such as the Audi A3 E-Tron and Golf GTE.  

I suspect by extending the life of the CT200h, they have probably caught quite a few sales whilst the market is going through this paradigm shift away from diesel while most prestige manufacturers dont have a ready, non-diesel solution.

Might turn out to be a smooth move.

Personally, I'm very happy with my CT200h and even with its idiosyncrasies, I cant find much else to replace it with when my pcp is up.  May just buy it outright as GMV might be a shrewd figure with the death of diesel pushing up hybrid second hand values.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, colin79666 said:

The marmite car. Personally I think it looks awful and those wheels look like something out of Halfords ripspeed range :unsure:

The blue example looks ok but not so much as to date existing cars. The bigger screen is the only change I’ve seen so far that actually appeals to me and seems necessary. 

I believe those wheels will only be on the Premier. The wheels looks exactly the same as the ones on the current RX and look top notch in person. The black bits are inserts which can be changed. Most likely, they will be silver on the standard car.

22 minutes ago, yeahchap said:

I think Lexus have been reasonably smart here.  They've put together a relatively inexpensive face-lift and drawn attention to the model just at a time when people are falling out of love with diesel.

If you only need a compact car, and want better mileage without the use of diesel fuel, options are fairly limited.  You have either the Prius, where the looks are too much for some people, Auris or CH-R, Kia Niro  or Hyundai Ioniq.

More prestige brands such are relatively expensive plug in hybrids such as the Audi A3 E-Tron and Golf GTE.  

I suspect by extending the life of the CT200h, they have probably caught quite a few sales whilst the market is going through this paradigm shift away from diesel while most prestige manufacturers dont have a ready, non-diesel solution.

Personally, I'm very happy with my CT200h and even with its idiosyncrasies, I cant find much else to replace it with when my pcp is up.  May just buy it outright as GMV might be a shrewd figure with the death of diesel pushing up hybrid second hand values.

Im not too sure - cars like the 1.0l Auto Golf SE exist which are cheaper than the CT. Additionally, with servicing taken into account, the Golf would actually work out cheaper to buy and own

2 hours ago, colin79666 said:

The marmite car. Personally I think it looks awful and those wheels look like something out of Halfords ripspeed range :unsure:

The blue example looks ok but not so much as to date existing cars. The bigger screen is the only change I’ve seen so far that actually appeals to me and seems necessary. 

Not a fan of the 'stuck on' iPad type screen. One of the reasons I moved away from Mercedes.

Now, Audi's virtual cockpit ...

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2017 at 7:21 PM, yeahchap said:

I agree @yeahchap although we will have to see exactly how consumers react to the negative press about diesel over a longer period. How local authorities chose to implement congestion charging will also have a big impact on future customer behaviour.

Sales figures are showing a sharp decline in diesel sales, with strong growth in hybrid sales although normal petrol is also growing to fill most of the gap left by the diesel decline.

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/decline-diesel-car-sales-offset-demand-petrol-across-eu/140127

IMHO in order to fully capitalise Lexus should start to offer 'scrappage' as an offer on the CT. From a customer perception perspective, offering (say) £5k scrappage rather than discounts or deposit contributions could see them shift quite a few CTs. Certainly a number of other manufacturers are being quite aggressive with such an approach.

• Like 1

Details of the "new" CT are now available from the revamped Lexus website. Looks like there are a few new colours, some available with/without a black roof on the F Sport, and a wider selection of interior colours.

Unfortunately, while it looks like all grades get the revamped rear lights with sequential indicators, it would seem that only the F-Sport and Premier versions get the new headlights. Also looks like the Premier gets fog lights, but the F-Sport does not... which is the shame and spoils the looks in my opinion.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:22 AM, DanD said:

Details of the "new" CT are now available from the revamped Lexus website. Looks like there are a few new colours, some available with/without a black roof on the F Sport, and a wider selection of interior colours.

Unfortunately, while it looks like all grades get the revamped rear lights with sequential indicators, it would seem that only the F-Sport and Premier versions get the new headlights. Also looks like the Premier gets fog lights, but the F-Sport does not... which is the shame and spoils the looks in my opinion.

Only vehicles equipped with the Premier pack will get the new headlight design.

F-Sport still has the same headlights as it does now unless you opt for the Premier pack which gives you the new LED units. F-Sport gains Solar Flare. All other colours remain the same but they now have Two-tone paint options.

Interior colours for the F-Sport includes the addition of White leather. Luxury and above grades get the option of white leather or sandstone which replaces the old cream leather.

They have reduced the price of Premium Nav which is now £750. However, for some reason, the convenience pack is showing as an option for the F-Sport which includes keyless entry and all around parking sensors. I believe this is probably a mistake. Additionally, the Luxury spec only has 2 front sensors and 4 rear ones. Im pretty sure they had 4 sensors at the front but I could be wrong.

There are now 3 blues: azure, sky and deep blue (for the F Sport). Azure is not available on the other grades.

I am a bit confused: I am sure that when I looked yesterday I saw an interior option that was black tahara with orange accents (bolsters and door trims) but I can no longer see it. Doh.

6 hours ago, DanD said:

There are now 3 blues: azure, sky and deep blue (for the F Sport). Azure is not available on the other grades.

I am a bit confused: I am sure that when I looked yesterday I saw an interior option that was black tahara with orange accents (bolsters and door trims) but I can no longer see it. Doh.

Sky blue and deep sea blue have been around for a while now. They were available on the facelifted pre-refacelifted (if thats what you call it) CT.

Azure blue is just Ultra blue with a silver coating in between for more shine and has been around on the other vehicles for a while.

No new colours from what I can tell. 

CT needs a redesign to look like a hatchback NX/RX.  Its current design is boring and old.  They main thing the CT has going for it is reliability, fuel efficiency and zero road tax.  People are not buying the CT for its looks.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2017 at 5:17 PM, Fsport said:

CT needs a redesign to look like a hatchback NX/RX.  Its current design is boring and old.  They main thing the CT has going for it is reliability, fuel efficiency and zero road tax.  People are not buying the CT for its looks.

Spot on @Fsport

Mind you, even though it may look a bit boring it is still more interesting than either the VW Golf or Audi A3.

• Like 1

I had a new one whilst the mothership went in for a service recently.

The build quality / rattling and general ride was reminiscent of a 1984 Mazda...

I was disappointed . It wasn't a driving experience in any way, shape or form. It was simply a way to get from A to B cheaply under the guise of a quality marque. 

On 16/06/2017 at 2:23 PM, rayaans said:

Nevertheless I agree with you on the power front and believe they should have included the 300h. 

I must agree on that. I am not fan of 300h in any other car, but for CT I believe that would be great option, kind of application which would allow the engine to shine and showoff itself... Maybe even Clarkson would like it.

5 hours ago, Wass said:

Good point about the road tax. Less incentive to buy one then... Now where's that Audi TT Quattro leaflet gone?

Not really.

Its more a case of less incentive to buy any other car as well unless its an EV.

And the papers are blaming lower September car sales on Brexit when its actually the tax going up by a chunk for plenty of cars and loads of owners buying just before the tax change so no need for them to change for another few years  :yes:

• Like 1

On 21/10/2017 at 12:16 PM, Wass said:

How do you know how I think? Speaking for your self Rayanns? No being condescending then.

Maybe less incentive for you to buy one

But if you'd been more specific and said you meant yourself, then the reply would have been different. It seemed like you meant it on a national level

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/06/2017 at 2:10 PM, colin79666 said:

Looks ok but pricing will be key. If they put the prices up then I'm not sure a facelift will be sufficient. The safety stuff is just bringing the model up the standards of the competition and right now a new CT is already quite expensive for a 3rd gen Prius wearing a well tailored suit. I'd love them to put the 300h engine in for the sport models but not sure the platform would enable that. I love my CT but always feel the power is a bit lacking and the stiff chassis could take more.

Not sure why they can't mini's hatchbacks have engines with 90bhp all the way up to 240bhp in them.

On 18/10/2017 at 7:06 PM, Wass said:

Good point about the road tax. Less incentive to buy one then... Now where's that Audi TT Quattro leaflet gone?

road tax being free shouldn't be an incentive to buy any car. it's at it's worst only £10 per week. i spend that on lunch most days. i know folk who spend that on cigarettes every day. road tax is the last thing anyone needs to really worry about being expensive. it's one of the lowest costs associated with cars. on the new c200h how much is it? £4 per week? not even worth talking about.

21 hours ago, SonnyA85 said:

road tax being free shouldn't be an incentive to buy any car. it's at it's worst only £10 per week. i spend that on lunch most days. i know folk who spend that on cigarettes every day. road tax is the last thing anyone needs to really worry about being expensive. it's one of the lowest costs associated with cars. on the new c200h how much is it? £4 per week? not even worth talking about.

Not even worth you talking about..except you are. Money is perceived differently by its users, no two views are the same. I am not going to bother with another hybrid and electrical cars either have inadequate range or too high a price. 2018 Lexus is still the same for me as the 2011. A second hand, low mileage Audi TT quattro is currently more economical overall than a Tesla. So its off to the Audi shop for me.