Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paid a visit to an excellent little garage near where I live to have a 'new' tyre fitted.

When I say new it was a Continental I bought with 7mm tread and no repairs - reason is, I'm fighting fast wear to the inside edge with tracking spot-on.

I need use of the car whilst I get around to fitting the new Lexus Lower control arm bushes - (garage will drift out old and refit new for a few £'s).

What greeted me was the lack of a key for removing the lock nut...there was me thinking it just had normal bolts.

So a few miles later and a day, I bought one from a Toyota dealer and eventually job done.

Luckily the pin number was on the original card in the boot. I know the previous owner who had the car and tyres fitted at the same Lexus dealership for 10 years...wonder where the original key went then.

As I did with my Jag, out came the lock nuts and in went standard nuts...there was a set of x4 new ones in the boot.

The nut key, a three pronged Z4676 cost me £24

That and the lock nuts and caps are posted in another place. See if I can at least recoup something.

Sometimes some things are complicated.

• Like 1

I bought a Ford Galaxy years ago but found the wheel nut key missing.  I got a mechanic to remove them and replaced them with ordinary nuts.  I tend to do it on most of my vehicles, especially as they can be hard to undo sometimes.

• Like 1

any tyre fitter worth his salt will have a simple way to undo locking wheel nuts !  as i would guess any breakdown service attending you ....  even though they always ask where the locking wheel nut key is before starting.

It's never put anyone off when telling them " I have no idea "  :wink3:

Malc

• Like 1

There is a 1/2 inch drive socket with spring loaded pins with a range from 9 to 22mm nut size available from most outlets, machine mart/halfords/local auto store etc for about a tenner which does the job if the locking wheel nut adaptor is lost/missing. Plenty of good photos on their web sites.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links