Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

I absolutely love my 450h however it's almost 11 years old now and the time for upgrade has come.. The 450h is my 7th Lexus and i would rate it second best after MK4 LS400 :) 

Screenshot_6.jpg.ea11c7959785865bc159c22050effda3.jpg

The problem is where to look next. I've been spoiled by the Lexus reliability, instant and effortless power provided by the electric motors. Ideally another Lexus hybrid :) Then again my budget will be limited to something like 3-4 year old GS300h. Can anyone share some light what's it like to drive compared to mk3 450h? Make no mistake i'm no boy racer, but 8.9 seconds 0-60 sounds very slow and i simply refuse to believe these figures (Parkers). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aviator888 said:

Hi all

I absolutely love my 450h however it's almost 11 years old now and the time for upgrade has come.. The 450h is my 7th Lexus and i would rate it second best after MK4 LS400 :) 

The problem is where to look next. I've been spoiled by the Lexus reliability, instant and effortless power provided by the electric motors. Ideally another Lexus hybrid :) Then again my budget will be limited to something like 3-4 year old GS300h. Can anyone share some light what's it like to drive compared to mk3 450h? Make no mistake i'm no boy racer, but 8.9 seconds 0-60 sounds very slow and i simply refuse to believe these figures (Parkers). 

Its no GS450h thats for sure. I would say the performance is adequate. The 0-62mph figures are a load of rubbish for hybrid vehicles anywhere as the mid-range acceleration is where it all matters and mid-range.

Its less smooth though due to the 2.5l 4 pot and personally I'd be inclined to get a used GS450h over a new GS300h any day of the week.

Best bet would be to test drive one. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Normski said:

No way! Wow. I actually thought it was the V6 from IS :(

No the GS 300H has the 2.5l inline 4. The 450h has the V6. 

To be fair it's refined, as much as a 4 cylinder can be but not as much as the GS450H

• Like 1

The 300h is many things, but it is most definitely not fast. Neither is it a car that - in my view - offers much reward for any kind of spirited driving, even in Sport+ mode. I have not driven a 450h but I can only imagine a trade-in for a 300h would end in serious disappointment for a keen driver. 

However, if you want smoothness, economy and a car that rewards gentle inputs, then the 300h is pretty much without equal. I find it to be an excellent companion on modern roads where speed is increasingly difficult to enjoy anyway.

• Like 3

My experience is direct, as I traded in my 2008 GS 450h with a GS300h, so  I know exactly the topic 

IS 300h I bought has all optionals (my one has also the night vision with IR camera that now is no more available), and I find it wonderful.

It' superior to former  GS 450h ,nonetheless, I sometimes miss the power ot V6 engine.

Telling the truth, when I tried my GS300h the first time, I found it "slow" and I had some doubts about leaving my 450h, and sometimes I fancy to find a GS 450h FSport , BUT GS 300h has many pros.

First, mpg are really better compared to previous 450h, the newer one has better than my 2008 but still thirstier than 300h.

2nd, in real world use 300h is not slow, it simply  is not a rocket like 450h but the real 0-60 times are about 8,3-8,5 seconds, more than sufficient (for my use), also limited speed helps to save driving licence.

Driving and handling are better too, and I find style more modern and original.

Would I buy another 300h now? Keeping my bad boy silent and my brain fully awake, yes.

But 450h also keep a place in my hearth, when I remember me watching the surprised expressions far away in my mirror all the times  sport cars drivers thought to pass a quiet hybrid saloon car  ;-)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zotto said:

My experience is direct, as I traded in my 2008 GS 450h with a GS300h, so  I know exactly the topic 

IS 300h I bought has all optionals (my one has also the night vision with IR camera that now is no more available), and I find it wonderful.

It' superior to former  GS 450h ,nonetheless, I sometimes miss the power ot V6 engine.

Telling the truth, when I tried my GS300h the first time, I found it "slow" and I had some doubts about leaving my 450h, and sometimes I fancy to find a GS 450h FSport , BUT GS 300h has many pros.

First, mpg are really better compared to previous 450h, the newer one has better than my 2008 but still thirstier than 300h.

2nd, in real world use 300h is not slow, it simply  is not a rocket like 450h but the real 0-60 times are about 8,3-8,5 seconds, more than sufficient (for my use), also limited speed helps to save driving licence.

Driving and handling are better too, and I find style more modern and original.

Would I buy another 300h now? Keeping my bad boy silent and my brain fully awake, yes.

But 450h also keep a place in my hearth, when I remember me watching the surprised expressions far away in my mirror all the times  sport cars drivers thought to pass a quiet hybrid saloon car  ;-)

Thanks this is exactly the feedback i was looking for. I do no more than 5000 miles a year and although 300h is tremendously good value for money, in-line 4 would soon make me regretting for not biting the bullet and going 450h..  

51 minutes ago, aviator888 said:

Thanks this is exactly the feedback i was looking for. I do no more than 5000 miles a year and although 300h is tremendously good value for money, in-line 4 would soon make me regretting for not biting the bullet and going 450h..  

Id be going for the 450h at that mileage. Not much difference in mpg if driven for short distances either. 

There's a lovely red GS450H F sport with cream interior at Lexus Coventry. The 450h f sport gets the rear wheel steering which is absolutely insane. It's unreal how agile it makes the car feel

Talking about differences between 3rd and 4th generation GS, I found that many tech improvements were made, but may be not all people could like them.

Steering: former 450h had variable ratio, and I liked the SPORT ratio better than the normal one, in new 300h the ratio is that one I like (and only that).

Ride is firmer but always comfy; I had adaptive suspensions in both cars, so I can't say if in 300h without them they are better or not, may be that another difference is given by wheels size, my 300h has 235/40 R19, but other versions start using 17 or 18, I suppose that they make a softer ride, in 450h I had 18" wheels.

Fuel economy is far better, with 450h I made 12.5 km/l, with 300h 16 . With new gen 450h expect 13.5  (to obtain mpg multiply by 2,8 ).

Mark Levinson in new 300h is better for mp3 and DAB radio, even if I slightly found better older ML in 450.

Adaptive cruise control and security pack in newer GS are a big improvement for safety.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2017 at 5:08 PM, aviator888 said:

Hi all

There is a video on you tube of a GS300h fsport doing a 0-62 sprint, it clocks it in 8.3 seconds

• 3 years later...

Very old tread.. might aswel ignite it again... ive had CT200h, IS300h, RX450h, ISF, GS300h and in a GS450h. 

As the topic was on GS.. i just come off a IS300h 2013, i love the IS, i think its a good balance of quick and family practical and looks fresh still . The GS300h i loved too.. but found it a bit sluggish. Now having the GS450h. . .not going back to 300h. Its spacious, practical, looks great, got plenty of gadgets like the others and bloody quick.

I used to get 28mpg on my old 2009 RX (including Mrs driving it like a diesel), currently im getting 31.1mpg on the GS450h. My IS300h was giving me 38.8 avg.. so i aint complaining. Can't see myself in another GS300h. Ist either IS or GS450h.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 11:17 PM, Ace8800 said:

Very old tread.. might aswel ignite it again... ive had CT200h, IS300h, RX450h, ISF, GS300h and in a GS450h. 

As the topic was on GS.. i just come off a IS300h 2013, i love the IS, i think its a good balance of quick and family practical and looks fresh still . The GS300h i loved too.. but found it a bit sluggish. Now having the GS450h. . .not going back to 300h. Its spacious, practical, looks great, got plenty of gadgets like the others and bloody quick.

I used to get 28mpg on my old 2009 RX (including Mrs driving it like a diesel), currently im getting 31.1mpg on the GS450h. My IS300h was giving me 38.8 avg.. so i aint complaining. Can't see myself in another GS300h. Ist either IS or GS450h.

Thanks for re-igniting this post. I'm considering a 2012/13 GS 450h vs 2013 IS300h. From my understanding the IS is cheaper to buy, run etc, and is smaller and more agile, but nowhere near as fast and possibly slightly less luxurious. So for me the IS300h is great, but perhaps just not fast enough.

What are your thoughts on the comparison, particularly around the difference in speed?

Speeds of the cars are a huge difference and you can feel it, especially 0-60.. it was a pleasant surprise.  In all honesty my GS450H returned 34mpg with majority local driving and once a week a 40mile round trip on M6.. the IS300H gave me 39mpg with the same. Id buy a GS all day.. but the prices of GSs are ridiculous compared to a IS300H. Either way if you want space and power go for a GS, the seats are much better in GS too. Ive had both and never regretted either and im sure you wont too.

Follow up:

I never bought the gs300h 😆

Went for 2012 GS250 and then upgraded to 2012 GS450h followed by 2010 LS600h that i have now. 

GS250 really surprised me in a good way with great mpg, V6 engine coupled with proper oldschool automatic transmission.. 

Still, if anyone is having difficulties to make up the mind just go for 450h. Newer the better. Just can't go wrong with that and i promise whenever you see slug 300h there will be no regrets. I took mine for 4000 mile road trip and returned just shy of 50mpg. 350hp car this is phenomenal motorway mpg even though i drive like oap.. i cannot get 40mpg out of my LS no matter how hard i try lol. 

Just forget the IS altogether. Plenty of taxis across the country is300h. That alone would put me off. Yes it may be cheaper than GS but unfortunately is also cheaply made imo.. any savings you would make in running costs 450h will make it up to you x 10  in ownership experience. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links