Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying used CT200h - tips appreciated!

RK1975

Hi all, my Auris has had to be scrapped and after a fair bit of research I've decided to try out a CT200h.  The trim I'm looking at is the Advanced.  However, I'm not a petrol head by any stretch of the imagination and I'm hoping people can help me in not getting stung.

My budget is around the £10k region ( will need to be on finance) and I've found a couple of examples, with one being an approved model.  I'm tempted to go for this for piece of mind, even though it's about £1000 more than similar age/ mileage at independent dealers.

When I do go to test drive one, does anyone else have any tips on what to look out for?  Thanks

nothing to look out for on the ct really,i would make sure it has full lexus service history

and any recalls have been completed,

Doesnt much matter if the recalls havent been completed. If you end up buying the car you can check with your local lexus and get the recalls completed free gratis anyway. 

I hear what you say about not being a petrol head. " approved" means nothing to me because I am a petrol head. Does this mean that the vendors wife likes the car? Find out what" Approved "means and why is it worth £1000 more? Perhaps they could say it is "approved and recommended" and charge even more, maybe extend the warranty by 12 months too... Always a good ploy to winkle more money out of punters. Sorry for being cynical but you have the money so to speak so you are in the driving seat. If you are going to go into finance for this motor, get the vendors to do a bit of work for your money.

While you are at the "approved " vendors try asking to see a vehicle which is similarly priced but is not " approved".

approved used car is a car that come with a complete lexus sevice history

lexus dealers will not sell a car that doesnt have the full lexus service history,

this isnt to say the car hasnt been serviced just not by lexus.

the recall i am thinking about is the canister recall in the fuel tank,as owners

have complained about the smell of fuel in the cars for days after completion

by having it done before you collect would save you putting up with the smell

of fuel.

51 minutes ago, stormchaser said:

The only thing to look out for is a service history. These cars are bulletproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 in this years driver power reliability category. 

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/64280/most-reliable-cars-to-buy-in-2017

As above, check for full service history. Servicing is 10k miles or a year. Check bottom of doors for damage as they are low so can get scraped and then rust if not repaired. Check heat shield above exhaust for corrosion. Other than that just general stuff with any car like bodywork and checking all buttons work etc. 

Thanks everyone, contributions appreciated.

I went to see two different ones and ended up going for the lexus approved one.  The first other seemed OK, but pushy salesman seemed desperate to get rid.  It was also missing a couple of services (the last one being a non-Lexus service).  I have paid a bit more than I need have done, but I'm happy with it.

The test drive was like a dream.  Can't believe how quiet it was (on all surfaces), so i've no idea what these reviews were on about it being noisy.  I also felt very comfortable and relaxed driving it straight away, and it was a pleasure driving it.  Again, these "expert" reviews did not at all reflect what I experienced.

I'm picking the car up in a couple of days and, quite simply, can't wait!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, RK1975 said:

Can't believe how quiet it was (on all surfaces), so i've no idea what these reviews were on about it being noisy. 

when you floor it ,it does become noisy but only whilst your accelerating ,the motoring press i feel are biased towards the

bmw brand and if it doesn't have the blue & white badge then it isn't a good car,the motoring press need to review a car

based on what its designed to do and not compare it to something it isn't

i dont have a ct now but you will enjoy the car and love the quietness.

5 hours ago, 200h said:

when you floor it ,it does become noisy but only whilst your accelerating ,the motoring press i feel are biased towards the

bmw brand and if it doesn't have the blue & white badge then it isn't a good car,the motoring press need to review a car

based on what its designed to do and not compare it to something it isn't

i dont have a ct now but you will enjoy the car and love the quietness.

Agreed, the CT drivetrain itself isn't noisy at all until you mash the throttle or have to sustain throttle going up a steep hill for example.

Should be quieter than an Auris in terms of road noise due to better insulation but its still obtrusive depending on what you compare to.

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, 200h said:

approved used car is a car that come with a complete lexus sevice history

lexus dealers will not sell a car that doesnt have the full lexus service history,

This is not quite true, a Lexus dealer can carry out the last service, sprinkle some magic dust and it becomes an "Approved Used car"
Important bit below:

"Vehicles with an incomplete or non Lexus centre service history can only qualify as an approved Pre-owned Lexus once the retailing Lexus centre completes the most recent major service. The centre must then update the service record book to provide to you."

http://www.johnsonscars.co.uk/lexus/used-offers/approved-used-programme/

1 minute ago, Casa1862 said:

This is not quite true, a Lexus dealer can carry out the last service, sprinkle some magic dust and it becomes an "Approved Used car"
Important bit below:

"Vehicles with an incomplete or non Lexus centre service history can only qualify as an approved Pre-owned Lexus once the retailing Lexus centre completes the most recent major service. The centre must then update the service record book to provide to you."

http://www.johnsonscars.co.uk/lexus/used-offers/approved-used-programme/

Cases of this are extremely rare and unlikely - dealers know they wont be able  to shift them as buyers arent stupid

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links