Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power steering gone heavy

Hi guys just a quick question is the power steering on the isf fluid or electric steering, when I'm in manual and going to pull out onto a roundabout the steering has a little knock and feels like there is no fluid, any help would be much appreciated 

Yeh that's what I thought, it goes really weird and makes the sound as if there is a pump on its way out if you know what I mean like a whining noise, and it also feels like there is lack of fluid (obviously if there was fluid) anyone had this or any ideas ?

1 hour ago, Loolee1992 said:

Yeh that's what I thought, it goes really weird and makes the sound as if there is a pump on its way out if you know what I mean like a whining noise, and it also feels like there is lack of fluid (obviously if there was fluid) anyone had this or any ideas ?

@Loolee1992 Luke if you want to pm me I have some information for you.

Big Rat

Yep. Electric.

There's a known design fault with the ISF rack. Not saying this it is what you are experiencing, but if you get notchy steering on the motorway, you'll need a new rack.

Rat will give you more info.

41 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Rat will give you more info.

2 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@Loolee1992 Luke if you want to pm me I have some information for you.

Big Rat

Is it not something that can be shared openly?

• Like 1

I've not go the link to hand, Ratty will have.

Basically the ISF can develop notchy steering at motorway speeds. Only solution is a new rack. Fitted by Lexus > £3.5k. There a Lexus SB covering this.

Loads of info on the Lexus ISF US forums. In addition to this I've spoken to dealers in the U.K. who were well aware of the problem.

Not just ISFs but other Toyotas suffer he same issue.

• Like 1

Just now, Flytvr said:

I've not go the link to hand, Ratty will have.

Basically the ISF can develop notchy steering at motorway speeds. Only solution is a new rack. Fitted by Lexus > £3.5k. There a Lexus SB covering this.

Loads of info on the Lexus ISF US forums. In addition to this I've spoken to dealers in the U.K. who were well aware of the problem.

Not just ISFs but other Toyotas suffer he same issue.

I've already posted all this in the past BTW so nothing new.

i will add that there have been cases where owners sell their ISFs rather than getting the issue fixed.

Thanks for all the replays I have spoke to big rat and he gave me quite useful info, my car is in the garage at the min and he is saying that my car has never had a new Battery, so every time I go lock to lock quick the bolts drop quite a bit so start with that first and if the problem isn't solved I will dig deeper. Also I won't be getting rid of the car just because of this problem all my cars I have tuned and all have had there fair share of problems trust me haha I will stick with it till it is solved 

• Like 3

That is fair point, I have noticed before that steering can become heavier if Battery goes low or is faulty. My Battery has short cell so sometimes loses power unpredictably, hence steering sometimes goes heavier. Not sure if the same can be applied to IS-F

@Loolee1992 Luke sounds plausible by virtue the steering is an electrical system so fingers crossed it's a relatively inexpensive fix. 

They are a fine car and judging by the condition of it in the pictures I've seen she's worth a dose of patience!

Big Rat

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Right I know is been a while and just thought I'd give you all an update, the banging through the steering wheel and steering going heavy is due to when I accelerate in first gear and maybe second (not often) is the header is so close to the rack and pinion it is actually hitting, as it has wore away the heat wrap. Hopefully getting it to my mates garage to see if he can heat it up with a torch and gently pursued the header in a bit instead of cutting and welding a notch out of it as I don't want to go down that route. So to anyone thinking of getting headers just do a test fit on drivers side to see how close it is might need to modify it a little. But apart from that they are the nuts and gives the car a tottally different feel performance wise and an even better sound, I'll try and get some videos up soon as I'm doing a dyno day in mid November. Thanks for all the help and advice also 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links