Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine rattling noise at startup and no high revs

I had my 20k service last month at Lexus AD and since then the car makes this rattling metalic noise on startup when the engine starts. Its like metal on metal.

Also, the car seems not to revs higher than 2.5k before changing gear in sports mode where it makes this louder noise before changing gears.

Anyone had this?

Just called them and waiting to hear from them.

Check the Active sound control near the parking sensor switch on the right and downwards in comparison to the steering wheel.

The IS300h does make a rattle upon startup

I will check engine oil level first thing in the morning. I have a feeling that engine oil may not have been changed or not enough put in at service. How does one go and prove this point to them. May have to have a word with them and also Lexus UK.

I had other works done to the car and now thinking that they may have rushed the service. I was the last one to be returned my car on the day and that was after all the staff (expect the service agent) had left the showroom.

Any pointers would help.

35 minutes ago, t4citurn said:

I will check engine oil level first thing in the morning. I have a feeling that engine oil may not have been changed or not enough put in at service. How does one go and prove this point to them. May have to have a word with them and also Lexus UK.

I had other works done to the car and now thinking that they may have rushed the service. I was the last one to be returned my car on the day and that was after all the staff (expect the service agent) had left the showroom.

Any pointers would help.

If oil is unchanged it wouldnt do this within a month. It'd take 6 months at least.

If oil level is low, the car would tell you before any issues come up.

Never experienced a rattle on start-up even in sub-zero temperatures & Sport Mode functions perfectly from start-up.

Your Service must be the root-cause.

Tel

4 hours ago, Martin F said:

Does the IS have an oil level light ?

It should show up a "Low Engine Oil" warning in the instrument cluster according to the manual

is it an oil level light or an oil pressure light that come on the dash as they are differernt

you can still have good pressure with low oil levels or low pressure with the oil at max.

2 hours ago, 200h said:

is it an oil level light or an oil pressure light that come on the dash as they are differernt

you can still have good pressure with low oil levels or low pressure with the oil at max.

Not sure about any lights but a warning comes up which should say "Oil Level Low" 

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps one of the panels that is removed for a servicing check has not been properly secured? I'd be lifting the bonnet and asking someone to start the car so I could pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I'd also be asking the dealership to take it back in pronto. Hope the OP gets this sorted

On 17/07/2017 at 1:48 PM, paulrnx said:

Perhaps one of the panels that is removed for a servicing check has not been properly secured? I'd be lifting the bonnet and asking someone to start the car so I could pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I'd also be asking the dealership to take it back in pronto. Hope the OP gets this sorted

I did. The dealer's tech guy went through the car and also came along a test drive with me. They stated nothing found but did say to use Shell and not supermarket petrol. The car now behaves like before service and so I suspect they forgot to do something electronic or software wise.

As to the regular rattling at startup, this has also gone although occasional startup metal noise is there. Apparently that's how the engine behaves at startup!!

• Like 1