Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus dropping 2.0T for U.K.

I'm going to try an NX200t as soon as I find one local and I can get to see it. I love most aspects of my NX300h and an NX200t might fix the parts I don't like. Worried about road noise and comfort though so important for me to be as diligent as possible before offloading my NX300h

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

I suspect you can't afford to buy a current generation IS...

Sure... as long as it makes you feel better mate!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Sure... as long as it makes you feel better mate!

Great, thought this was the reason. Thanks for confirming

3 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I'm going to try an NX200t as soon as I find one local and I can get to see it. I love most aspects of my NX300h and an NX200t might fix the parts I don't like. Worried about road noise and comfort though so important for me to be as diligent as possible before offloading my NX300h

Why would road noise change in a 200t? All NXs run on same width tyres? 

The Germans are dreadful for road noise tell you that much! Latest 5 series is pretty good all round tbf. 

540i is amazing. Id buy it if I didn't need space or if the estate looked better

4 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I suspect you can't afford to buy a current generation IS and trash everything in the range to make you feel better about your purchase. This is much better than saying you'd quite like to have a current generation IS but can't afford to. I loved my 2nd generation IS250 but there is no way I'd go back to it now. The automotive world has moved on and newly designed cars, Lexus included, are so much better than a 2nd generation IS designed in circa 2004/2005. Peachy engine and a nicely judged blend of performance and comfort but a near 13 year old design nonetheless with fairly crashy suspension on anything other than 16" wheels. Lovely cars in their day mind.

Lovely cars in their day and almost certainly still the most reliable car on the road today.

• Like 1

Veering way off topic here, but what's this NX road noise thing and how does the 200t fix it?

I'd say there is marginally more *wind* noise than my IS but considerably less road noise. I find myself having to change the volume of the radio much less frequently in the NX than in my IS (neither has volume control), which suggests the NX is the more consistently quiet of the two. 

The NX isn't perfect, btw. But, barring the RX, I would be staggered if you can find another SUV that beats it or even comes close to it in terms of interior noise.

Back to the topic...

7 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I suspect you can't afford to buy a current generation IS and trash everything in the range to make you feel better about your purchase. This is much better than saying you'd quite like to have a current generation IS but can't afford to. I loved my 2nd generation IS250 but there is no way I'd go back to it now. The automotive world has moved on and newly designed cars, Lexus included, are so much better than a 2nd generation IS designed in circa 2004/2005. Peachy engine and a nicely judged blend of performance and comfort but a near 13 year old design nonetheless with fairly crashy suspension on anything other than 16" wheels. Lovely cars in their day mind.

I certainly don't agree with this post.

Firstly, my IS does not have what I would describe as crashy suspension, even with 17" wheels.

Second, I dispute that newer automatically means better.

Does this mean I also cannot afford a current generation IS?

• Like 1

To be fair, not everyone runs off to by a new model the moment one gets released.  some owners by choice prefer to keep their cars longer than others do. I tend to change mine every 2-3 years as i get bored quickly but that's me.. where as my work colleague keeps his cars for 10 years. I also personally think financing a new car is flushing money down the toilet so makes me a cash buyer again that's me. 

Others might have also driven a newer model but might not have found it to be a 'major' improvement compared to theirs so cant really justify paying more for less gain/benefit in their case.

Others prefer to tinker with thier cars and buying new does not give one the freedom to do this without some form of consequence from the dealer come the time to return the car back after the contract ending.

So in some cases its down to personal choice and mentality and not necessarily not being in the position to..

13 hours ago, rayaans said:

Why would road noise change in a 200t? All NXs run on same width tyres? 

The Germans are dreadful for road noise tell you that much! Latest 5 series is pretty good all round tbf. 

540i is amazing. Id buy it if I didn't need space or if the estate looked better

Because the NX200t is only available as an F-Sport. Believe the suspension is different in this model, a bit stiffer and therefore possibly more road noise transmitted to the cabin. Won't be any difference in airborne noise but could be a difference in noise heard & felt through the car. My previous IS250 F-Sport was very poor in this regard

10 hours ago, Shahpor said:

I certainly don't agree with this post.

Firstly, my IS does not have what I would describe as crashy suspension, even with 17" wheels.

Second, I dispute that newer automatically means better.

Does this mean I also cannot afford a current generation IS?

I thought my IS250 SE-L did have crashy suspension on broken surfaces. Personal opinion I guess. Most of the time it was fine.

I had reason to drive a 2nd generation IS250 a while back. I was looking forward to it but came away feeling underwhelmed. My memory, of my own car. suggested it would be better than it was. This was a pristine 60k mile IS250 on 17" wheels that had LED a pampered life. I drove it on roads I'd regularly driven by 3rd generation IS cars on and I came away feeling that the game had moved on. Judged in isolation they are fine cars and I still have soft spot for mine which I had for nearly 3 years. 

I'm not aware of your personal circumstances. I was having a dig back at someone else who constantly posts negative stuff on here. Not anyone else.

36 minutes ago, noby76 said:

To be fair, not everyone runs off to by a new model the moment one gets released.  some owners by choice prefer to keep their cars longer than others do. I tend to change mine every 2-3 years as i get bored quickly but that's me.. where as my work colleague keeps his cars for 10 years. I also personally think financing a new car is flushing money down the toilet so makes me a cash buyer again that's me. 

Others might have also driven a newer model but might not have found it to be a 'major' improvement compared to theirs so cant really justify paying more for less gain/benefit in their case.

Others prefer to tinker with thier cars and buying new does not give one the freedom to do this without some form of consequence from the dealer come the time to return the car back after the contract ending.

So in some cases its down to personal choice and mentality and not necessarily not being in the position to..

I had a lovely 2005 2.4 Executive for about 12 months. Loved it, awesome car to drive. Did lack a bit of torque low down but boy the top end certainly made up for it. I've been thinking quite a bit about buying a cheaper car but I do 20k miles per year and need reliability because if I don't get to work I don't get paid. Love Honda engineering even if occasionally their styling goes a bit weird.

13 hours ago, peachy said:

Lovely cars in their day and almost certainly still the most reliable car on the road today.

Dash clip hanger issues aside, mine was 100% reliable. But all my Lexus cars have been reliable so difficult to say whether my 2nd gen IS250 was more reliable. Then again it was older - I bought it when it was 4 years old and sold it when it was about 7 years old. Guess we'll find out in a few years time whether the newer models are as good.

5 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I thought my IS250 SE-L did have crashy suspension on broken surfaces. Personal opinion I guess. Most of the time it was fine.

I had reason to drive a 2nd generation IS250 a while back. I was looking forward to it but came away feeling underwhelmed. My memory, of my own car. suggested it would be better than it was. This was a pristine 60k mile IS250 on 17" wheels that had led a pampered life. I drove it on roads I'd regularly driven by 3rd generation IS cars on and I came away feeling that the game had moved on. Judged in isolation they are fine cars and I still have soft spot for mine which I had for nearly 3 years. 

I'm not aware of your personal circumstances. I was having a dig back at someone else who constantly posts negative stuff on here. Not anyone else.

Well, I have also experienced both and even though the 3rd gen feels more planted, I have no issue with how the 2nd gen handles.

As for the other thing, I know you were having a dig at Linas, but I thought it was unnecessarily rude, despite what might have been said before.

Having said that, my personal preference is for this thread to be wiped out completely because I don't believe it really represents the true atmosphere of this forum, so I don't think I will be contributing to it any further.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Because the NX200t is only available as an F-Sport. Believe the suspension is different in this model, a bit stiffer and therefore possibly more road noise transmitted to the cabin. Won't be any difference in airborne noise but could be a difference in noise heard & felt through the car. My previous IS250 F-Sport was very poor in this regard

Maybe more suspension noise but i don't think the road noise itself would be any different.

Road noise is mainly caused by the tyres - BMWs being a culprit, especially with their X-range where they tend to use huge 300 width tyres that echo road noise into the cabin

On 11/07/2017 at 8:56 PM, Rabbers said:

Unfortunately for them, there was a total veto

on the car on the part of the company Chairman himself, who was not only Republican to the core but, for reasons I was never able to fully

fathom, rabidly anti-Japanese.

It's because of Pearl Harbour. There are a few Americans like this.

1 hour ago, Martin F said:

It's because of Pearl Harbour.....

Very likely.  Looking back, it was fortunate for my career at the time that Lexus was largely unknown on this side of the Atlantic or 

I would probably have been tempted to try and sneak an LS past the corporate watchdogs as my own company car and then been 

fired on the spot!

On 7/14/2017 at 5:48 PM, Shahpor said:

Well, I have also experienced both and even though the 3rd gen feels more planted, I have no issue with how the 2nd gen handles.

As for the other thing, I know you were having a dig at Linas, but I thought it was unnecessarily rude, despite what might have been said before.

Having said that, my personal preference is for this thread to be wiped out completely because I don't believe it really represents the true atmosphere of this forum, so I don't think I will be contributing to it any further.

It must be said that Linas is the nicest person on this forum and he never attacks anyone. He debates things in a clear, logical and intelligent way and i cannot understand why he gets up people's noses on here. He answers all questions and never rants about anything, ever.

On 6/22/2017 at 8:00 PM, Linas.P said:

That is good news for me, hated 2.0t with passion. Same as @Rebecca would prefer IS350, or for that matter even IS250, RC250 would be way better than 200t or 300h.

Really? I guess you haven't ever driven one then and your other comments are equally bizarre bordering on inane.  I always find it bemusing how such a flippant comment can be made unless you actually own and have had an experience of the car. I have had 2 old shape IS250's, a 2009 and 2011, now a 2016 IS200T. The IS200T is far more responsive, offers better mpg, idles more smoothly without that annoying VVTi ticking sound and altogether feels like a more engaging model than the sometimes slothful albeit smooth old IS250. For me it is a shame they have stopped this model- probably a slow seller due to the c02 war that the Germans have no doubt been fiddling. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BaransuIS250 said:

Really? I guess you haven't ever driven one then and your other comments are equally bizarre bordering on inane.  I always find it bemusing how such a flippant comment can be made unless you actually own and have had an experience of the car. I have had 2 old shape IS250's, a 2009 and 2011, now a 2016 IS200T. The IS200T is far more responsive, offers better mpg, idles more smoothly without that annoying VVTi ticking sound and altogether feels like a more engaging model than the sometimes slothful albeit smooth old IS250. For me it is a shame they have stopped this model- probably a slow seller due to the c02 war that the Germans have no doubt been fiddling. 

Agree with everything you've said. A quick road test is nothing like living with a car for a while. Having had one myself I cannot understand why people claim it's slow and that an IS250 is just as quick. It just ain't. Nowhere near.

If you want a small engaging sports saloon or coupe that has a decent turn of speed and you want to stick with Lexus you're now screwed. Lexus will claim they've barely sold any but that's as much to do with them marketing themselves as everything hybrid and nothing sporty and engaging to drive. I'm considering changing to an NX200t because the (lack of) accessible performance from a 300h Lexus drives me nuts enough times to make the car unenjoyable.

21 hours ago, BaransuIS250 said:

Really? I guess you haven't ever driven one then and your other comments are equally bizarre bordering on inane.  I always find it bemusing how such a flippant comment can be made unless you actually own and have had an experience of the car. 

Cannot afford, haven't even tried, Lexus would not give it to me to try, flippant, bizarre, bordering on inane (sort of idiotic).. anything else to add to the list? I mean it is good list already, but just though I will double check if not missing anything. From now on if anyone dislikes any car I will post this list as a fact about that person. After all why would anyone dislike any car - they all perfect.. isn't it?

@paulrnx - that applies to you as well mate. Next time you say you don't like NX300h you know what to expect.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Cannot afford, haven't even tried, Lexus would not give it to me to try, flippant, bizarre, bordering on inane (sort of idiotic).. anything else to add to the list? I mean it is good list already, but just though I will double check if not missing anything. From now on if anyone dislikes any car I will post this list as a fact about that person. After all why would anyone dislike any car - they all perfect.. isn't it?

@paulrnx - that applies to you as well mate. Next time you say you don't like NX300h you know what to expect.

I think the main issue here is that your views tend to go against almost everyone that has driven an IS200T

Its like saying the M140i is a boring car, on top of that, saying it on a BMW forum. 

Just now, rayaans said:

I think the main issue here is that your views tend to go against almost everyone that has driven an IS200T

Its like saying the M140i is a boring car, on top of that, saying it on a BMW forum. 

Are you serious ... M140i car which has 335hp/500Nm and does 0-60 in 4.6s... Not to mention it is straight 6 (which generally means "good") and @BaransuIS250 calls me inane?!

I mean I am not looking for fairness in this world.. but somebody - please stop this madness!

Now I know I started this thread and it seems to have a bit of steam left in it, so I'd thought I'd mention that the Metropolitan Police have a large unmarked fleet of fast response vehicles many used for serious crime work where it goes without saying reliability is paramount. 

Amongst all the Bmw and Audi and so on there are no less than 11 is200T mostly black and grey on 15 plates according to public service fleet managers document " Of all the midsize saloon we run here in the Met without doubt the is200T has served us with its unrivalled benefits in performance reliability and occupant comfort " " The downtime (off road being repaired for non impact damage) is unrivalled in type of use "

They seem to like them.

Big Rat

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links