Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Caps - Future Collectors

DaKa

The SC430 being less common on the roads was one reason that I purchased my 2003 model. I can see them becoming more desirable and collectable as their numbers diminish.

However, what will future collectors look for in terms of wheels?

I have been impressed by the look and stance of some cars sold with the newer or after-market wheels/tyres fitted, but will collectors want originality?

Mine has standard dustbin lid style chrome caps and I keep a spare set x 4 as I'm convinced that they will be useful.

Personally, I like the look of twisted chrome caps if choosing from the production options of the era, but would it make any difference to a buyer 5 or 10 years from now?

• Like 1

The dinner plate trims are very unloved but you need to keep a set back if the car ever gets classic status, the 2003/2004 star trims look much better and can be purchased from the States .

the facelift alloys 2006-2009 are popular but expensive to buy (£500 a set ) yet do look the best to my mind .

• Like 1

Yes I agree, big wide aftermarket wheels can improve the look and the way the car drives. I'm not a fan of them but the facelift wheels can instantly make an early SC look more modern.

I look to the cult status of the LS400 and the SC400/Soarer and wonder whether the SC will ever have enough of a following to become a popular classic?  I think there are so few visible on the road that they will remain largely undiscovered.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daka

My low mileage FLSH '03 with 47k miles, Runflats and Dish-hubs arrives, to live alongside my '09 IS250C w/24k miles.

Are you still on runflats? Is the suspension with those adequate, in COMFORT mode?

Any thoughts on improvements? 

My only addition to the IS250C on buying it 2 years ago was the folding wind protector and 4 OEM tyres as the originals were perished.  

Thank you.

10 hours ago, twolexii said:

Hi Daka

My low mileage FLSH '03 with 47k miles, Runflats and Dish-hubs arrives, to live alongside my '09 IS250C w/24k miles.

Are you still on runflats? Is the suspension with those adequate, in COMFORT mode?

Any thoughts on improvements? 

My only addition to the IS250C on buying it 2 years ago was the folding wind protector and 4 OEM tyres as the originals were perished.  

Thank you.

The first thing that everyone does is to ditch the run-flats. They really do ruin the ride. It's possible to fit a space-saver wheel in the boot and or carry a can of tyre-weld.

I haven't seen an SC with 'COMFORT' mode (except perhaps expensive after market air ride) but a popular suspension upgrade is to change to adjustable MeisterR coil-overs. Improves the handling and also the ride quality.

• Like 1

Thank you Neil E. I shall replace the runflats and buy the spraycan. Then drive it a couple of thousand miles, contrasting with the IS250C's ride and handling, before deciding on the MeisteR coil-overs. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, twolexii said:

Thank you Neil E. I shall replace the runflats and buy the spraycan. Then drive it a couple of thousand miles, contrasting with the IS250C's ride and handling, before deciding on the MeisteR coil-overs. 

That sounds very sensible. As it's done so few miles the suspension may still be in very good condition.

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the differences.  

• Like 1

I'm very happy with the ride of the IS250C (2009 not as Profiled, 25k miles), comparing it well to a pre-VW Bentley. My thinking: will the SC430 equate to a 90's Rolls, with its long-wheel base and even more luxury than the IS250C?

Hence the concept of a Matched Set of Lexus convertibles. I'm a realist: though both cars are very-low mileage, they are very well-made luxury vehicles with expensive parts and I'm budgeting £2k per annum on the "stable" in repairs and maintenance. Optimistic? The fuel cost is not an issue, I specifically want a large smooth V8 convertible.    

As for the retro-hubs on the SC430, I find them a positive, though I've always been drawn to orphan-vehicles. As a yoof, I owned the Noddy bike, the LE Velocette. Fifity five years on, the SC430's profile resembles Enid Blyton's Noddy car. With apologies, SC owners.      

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I ended up in January 2018 with a 2003 SC430, fLsh, bought privately for £6.2k, modern 5-double spoked subdued alloys, 70k miles, dark blue and white leather, bird’s eye maple. This to accompany my 2009 IS250C, now 33k miles. I have the SC’s original wheels too.

Annoying Issue: buzzing from the speakers at bass frequency but quite good on classic music. Any one suggest an audio repairer for the SC 430? 

Solvable Issue: current leakage from somewhere on the car. Replaced the Battery when bought the car but it goes flat if the car un-used for more than a fortnight. Work around: use the car more and carry jumper leads, until I get my engineer to check the electrics in early Spring. Everything works, though.

Good news: SC430 recent MoT with no advisory, my very experienced engineer “a nice little car”, though I’ve only done 1,400 miles in Year 1.

Generally, I love the SC430’s limousine ride, a genuine grand tourer, planning trip to the beautiful Scottish Borders in May. As I expected, a far better choice than a Bentley Continental GTC, as I get 25mpg and never need more than the 2 seats.

As for the ‘09 IS250C, cerulean blue with white leather, bought June 3015, my smooth very pleasant day-to-day car, my only regret is that Lexus don’t still make it. I drop the top at the first sign of the sun, and am getting 30mpg. Recent Intermediate service a non-issue, having driven 5k in the last year. Am impressed by its rapid acceleration when needed and no longer miss my far less reliable though sportier M-Benz 2005 SLK280. I’ve got used to the plastic noises at the rear of the IS250C cabin, they’re due to my awful local road surfaces. Everything works, DAB radio and excellent climate control very useful.

In summary, two great fun modern classics valued at less than £17k. Total costs, insurance £700, road tax  £700, depreciation c.£1500; maintenance way less, so far, than my expected £2k a year.

• Like 1

Hi mr2lad, thank you, I shall try switching the radio off, and hence its amplifier. I’m also checking a solar panel to keep the Battery trickle-charged, as the car stays in the open off-road and used once or twice a week, though not yet clear how the panel connects from inside the windscreen to the car’s OEBD under-bonnet socket. Maybe simply to the cigarette-lighter? BTW your LS dash is almost the same as my IS250C, both far better to my mind than Lexus’ latest attempt at copying BMW.