Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

8 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Top Gear also landed a helicopter on a SKODA YETI...remember that ?

Boys playing games with someone else`s money !

Regards

John

I also remember Clarkson destroying a perfectly good LS400 simply because everything still worked, the engine was whisper quiet and wafted you along in comfort.  Therefore, in his own words "it's just so boring"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I also remember Clarkson destroying a perfectly good LS400 simply because everything still worked, the engine was whisper quiet and wafted you along in comfort.  Therefore, in his own words "it's just so boring"

Did not see that episode - try to get it on YouTube.

8 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Did not see that episode - try to get it on YouTube.

I'm not sure if it was TG. He basically shot it to peices with an automatic rifle. I did watch it on YouTube though.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Was it James May, rather than JC ?

Regards

John

No, definitely Clarkson.

Just looking it up, it seems to be Jeremy Clarkson thriller DVD.  There are some posts on this forum from 2008 but sadly no vid available now on YouTube.

I've not seen that before but it just about sums up my feelings too about these magnificent beasts.

I'm expecting mine to last forever.

My bro-in-law to be ( in July ) has just bought that 1964 Austin Cambridge estate that's advertised ( there's only the one ) for £9950, full asking price, coz that's the car he now wants .......  forever ...  not sure how he'll cope with NO pas but hey ....  that is truly a magnificent almost final example of that marque.

I'm expecting our Ls400s to end their days like that too ..........  any thoughts guys ? :yahoo:

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I've not seen that before but it just about sums up my feelings too about these magnificent beasts.

I'm expecting mine to last forever.

My bro-in-law to be ( in July ) has just bought that 1964 Austin Cambridge estate that's advertised ( there's only the one ) for £9950, full asking price, coz that's the car he now wants .......  forever ...  not sure how he'll cope with NO pas but hey ....  that is truly a magnificent almost final example of that marque.

I'm expecting our Ls400s to end their days like that too ..........  any thoughts guys ? :yahoo:

Malc

I don't see why an LS400 wouldn't outlive most of us if it was well cared for, I really don't believe there's anything out there like it.  As for the Austin Cambridge, I used to do mini cabbing in London with one. A great car "in its day" white with black leather.  It seemed huge at the time, it had a steering wheel the size of a bus!

6 hours ago, Malc said:

Malc

Could not have put it better myself! I found it harder than expected to stick to the speed limits today - it drives so smoothly.

• Like 1

Saw this on AutoTrader - looks a good one, not cheap but looks good. I have no connection with the trade seller.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706126368137?model=LS 400&sort=distance&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&make=LEXUS&postcode=ct147th&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

• Like 1

Brilliant! That is the way to actually sell a car. I think we can learn a few pointers from the Americans I am afraid to say. As a salesman, he came across as genuinely enthusiasic about the Lexus product.

Really enjoyed watching that - thanks!

My father in law worked in mining in southern Africa and had nothing but contempt for Landrovers, which he regarded as lethal machines to take out into the bush. I've experienced Toyota hardiness many times taking a Hilux off-road in South Africa through floods and searingly hot boulder-strewn land.

The mention of Porsche reliability reminded my of an incident over the weekend where a neighbour, who has a 4 year old Porsche Cayenne, used a stick to hold the tailgate open. I asked her about this and she said the mechanism (struts? motors?) had failed and the quote to fix it was very high. I noted the irony as I cleaned my wife's 1998 Celica with tailgate struts as strong as the day it rolled off the line in Japan.

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, royoftherovers said:

Denis,

You are clearly misinformed.

The Aussies say that if you wish to venture into the Outback, then take a Land Rover or a Land Cruiser.

If you wish to come back alive, then take the Toyota .

Regards

John

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Brilliant! That is the way to actually sell a car. I think we can learn a few pointers from the Americans I am afraid to say. As a salesman, he came across as genuinely enthusiasic about the Lexus product.

Really enjoyed watching that - thanks!

The Salesman is obviously a Lexus independent pre-owned merchandiser and by the sounds of it started his career in a Lexus dealership. 

To that end he is a Lexus for life man, having spent a lot of time in the states I have noticed the attitude of the recent generation to Japanese products welcoming in contrast to their fathers and grandfathers who would not go near or condone the presence of anything Japanese due to the second world war .

These days its all about reliability and the Lexus although it is the leading import luxury car it is one of many asian models now sold in the states.

The traditional US models such as Ford GM and Chevy  have upped their game but in quality terms still lag behind.

Out of the above link by spacewagon I would opt for this (below), I know screams of to expensive, I agree its far above most LS400 prices but for that price the buyer will almost certainly be running that car in another 10 years time with very little spent beyond some suspension part replacements in the 10 year gap.

http://bit.ly/2u9gWrh

Just got back from two weeks of visiting family.

East Sussex to South Wales, towed caravan from storage facility to site, ran around Newport for a week, then towed van back to storage and travelled up to North Yorkshire for second week.

Again travelled round visiting Yorkie in laws, then did the 300 mile trip back home to Eastbourne.

My 18 year old LS was, as ever, an absolute pleasure to drive.

I don't normally bother with mpg calculations, but i set the trip this time, and the car managed 27mpg overall, on LPG@ around 50p/litre, with the boot and back seat full of luggage.

They really are fantastic cars.

1 minute ago, mikeyv said:

Just got back from two weeks of visiting family.

East Sussex to South Wales, towed caravan from storage facility to site, ran around Newport for a week, then towed van back to storage and travelled up to North Yorkshire for second week.

Again travelled round visiting Yorkie in laws, then did the 300 mile trip back home to Eastbourne.

My 18 year old LS was, as ever, an absolute pleasure to drive.

I don't normally bother with mpg calculations, but i set the trip this time, and the car managed 27mpg overall, on LPG@ around 50p/litre, with the boot and back seat full of luggage.

They really are fantastic cars.

We may sound like wittering old men, but you are so right - they are fantastic cars. I have been using mine to take my daughter to work, as her car is poorly. The 34 mile round trip is an absolute pleasure - even at rush hour on our congested roads!

I don't have LPG - but I do not mind paying a bit extra in fuel for such a wonderful ride. You must be doing cartwheels!

So you can get a tow bar for a MK IV? I thought they were not available?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spacewagon52 said:

We may sound like wittering old men, but you are so right - they are fantastic cars. I have been using mine to take my daughter to work, as her car is poorly. The 34 mile round trip is an absolute pleasure - even at rush hour on our congested roads!

I don't have LPG - but I do not mind paying a bit extra in fuel for such a wonderful ride. You must be doing cartwheels!

So you can get a tow bar for a MK IV? I thought they were not available?

They are like rocking horse droppings, David, I looked on eBay for ages before getting mine, which also fits some earlier cars, and there is an issue with legality, which you should look in to before fitting one.

Inked94bc4553-5051-4945-8e24-e464d4ec3b0b_LI.jpg

• Like 2

Wittering 44 year old man here. Brilliant cars. Had it four months and can't see myself parting with it. If I am feeling wound up I head out in the old girl and even through London traffic the car relaxes me no end. Planning a European journey in August in the Lexus instead of the Soarer which would normally be our go-to for long journeys. Even contemplating some panel work to get the bodywork up to scratch.

• Like 2